Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Pay £12 a month for your bank account?
  • alexxx
    Free Member

Does anyone pay £12 a month for their bank account? i just got suckered into it with natwest but dont know if its worth it

Dudie
    Free Member

Of course it isn't worth it.

Grimy
    Free Member

sucker! 😆 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Hohum
    Free Member

What extras are you getting above a fee-free account and will you actually use the extras?

coffeeking
    Free Member

It is worth it if you get other things for it. Like an 800 quid discount on your mortgage fees (already the cheapest deal out there), breakdown on 2 people and travel insurance for 2 people. But if you don't use that, probably not!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I've used my breakdown cover twice in recent times.

I think the terms are a bit limited on breakdown and travel cover though must check them.

JonR
    Free Member

They have tried that with me twice, basically it is a savings account and I would need 288 grand in it to break even so I twice declined.

highclimber
    Free Member

Natwest is an arm of RBS – we bailed them out during the banking crisis and we still own a large % of it (not sure how much but im sure its more than 50%) therefore, you shouldn't have to!

LHS
    Free Member

Depends how you use the benefits. I was paying £25 a month (now free) but the benefits i got outwayed the monthly cost.

maxray
    Free Member

Ive got a paid for account with Lloyds, worth it for the travel insurance, AA and mobile insurance for 2 people IMO.

momo

I pay for my bank account with Barclays, should be £16 p/m, although as ex-staff I still get a 50% discount on the fee.

It's definately worth it to me, worldwide travel insurance with sports cover, european breakdown cover, interest free overdraft, a years extra warranty on electrical goods bought on my debit card, mobile phone insurance (Orange wanted £8 a month to insure my iPhone, so the way I see it the phone insurance is worth the fee on its own!) and quite a few more bits that I can't remember.

Xan
    Free Member

Advantage Gold/Royalties Gold are worth it if you are going to use it. I save about £200-£300 a year between Holidays, travel insurance, discounted gig tickets, Mobile phone insurance (£5+ a month for iPhone insurance alone)I go 2 holidays a year and normally save about 10% on each and save about £40 a year for travel insurance (includes ski/snowboard) I also have green flag, updraded the packacge to the top one and still save about £8 over and about what I paid for lower cover with the AA.

If you dont use the discounts (loads over and above the ones I've metioned) it's not worth it TBH.

molgrips
    Free Member

Momo, what account is that?

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Going on holiday soon. Oh goody i didnt need to pay for a travel insrance policy 🙂

Arranged our house and contents insurance with them as well. Cant remember the details but we saved a lot as we got extra discounts.

We got a really good mortgage deal because of it as well.

The only thing we werent impressed with was the holiday discounts. They are a joke.

We got it originally because it madebig savings on the mortgage but now it is paying for itself in other savings 🙂

alexxx
    Free Member

it does seem good then, i just thought it was too good to be true kinda thingy, think i'll keep it
    thanks guys 🙂

funkynick

The other half has the Advantage Gold account and that really helped when we got out mortgage with them… and saved us about £500 or so in fees…

Other than that, I don't think it's generally worth it unless you use all the extras.

Junkyard
    Free Member

why would we pay the bank when they need our o money to lend out to make money from ? That said we do get a lot for free.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Nat West = Robbing illegitimates.

Try First Direct, superb customer service, been with them for about 10 years now.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Aye.

Get travel insurance (which doesn't cover you for mountain biking holidays, sadly, but does winter sports), mobile phone insurance, breakdown cover and free overdrafts up to certain amount.

Plus a load of crappy discounts on useless stuff like magazine subscriptions, "luxury breaks" and tickets for theme parks and west end shows.

Probably worth £12 a month, all things considered.

trailmonkey

worth it for us

momo

Molgrips, it was called additions plus, but they've changed it to additions active now.

higgo
    Free Member

Worth it for us – travel insurance for family of five, mortgage discounts etc.

Obviously there's no point both me and Mrs Higgo having a 'paid for' account.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Got HSBC Premier with a load of perks.

Total cost – zilch

Northwind

Worthwhile only if you use it. But tbh free banking is probably on the way out, it's always been a bit of a weird UK thing and now it makes less sense- traditionally UK bank accounts were charge free until you slipped up, whereupon you got bummed. Now the ease and value of that punitive bumming is reduced so they'll look elsewhere for the money.

JonBurns
    Free Member

Think I'm about to move the joint account to the Barclays Additions Active;

Worldwide multi-trip travel insurance for you and your family
    RAC Breakdown Cover – comprehensive cover in the UK and Europe
    Mobile phone insurance including cover against loss, theft and accidental damage
    Cardholder Protection – covers you against the loss or theft of your cards and passport
    Extended warranty cover for your domestic appliances
    Legal advice helpline – available 24 hours a day
    HomeSOS – cover for domestic emergencies
    (Removed the crap about overdrafts and online banking)

Has to be worth it for the phone insurance, breakdown cover and card protection alone @ £15 p/m (I do have to confess though I do work for them and will get it cheaper than this).

momo

JonBurns, whats your take on the premier accounts from barclays? One of my friends keeps trying to convince me to go onto it.

JonBurns
    Free Member

Dunno I'm in I.T of course 😆

Stu_N

I have an RBS Royalties Gold – worth it for the travel insurance and phone insurance alone. If you speak to them you can buy extra cover for MTB holidays for about £50 a year – so £200 a year for phone insurance, travel insurance and breakdown cover isn't bad in my book.

Have used the home emergency thing once (burst pipe) which saved us a lot of money and hassle and I use the £250 interest free overdraft every month while parking my money the Instant Access savings account that they give a higher rate on to RG customers – doesn't make me much money (though used to be worth it) but it still feels good to play The Man at his own game and win..!

smoothchicken

Also with First Direct and pay £12/month to get annual family travel insurance, breakdown cover, phone insurance amongst other things. Had to use the travel insurance on the first outing in the States, they sorted the yank hospital in 10mins and didn't have to pay a bean out there only £50 excess back here. Well worth the extra and First Direct have the best customer service, monumentally better then Naf West!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Most banks will waive their fee if you have a wad of cash or a largeish mortgage with them.

HSBC requires £50k in the bank or a £200k mortgage or a £75k salary – then they don't charge.

Judging by some the comments and opinions on here, at least 80% of you should qualify 😉

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Pay £12 a month for your bank account?’ is closed to new replies.