Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Paving my patio?
  • SaxonRider

We have a moderately large back garden, divisible into a series of sections. The largest bit is 6m x 6m that then extends along the side of the house in a section of about 3m x 4m, and finally a longer section of about 5m x 2m.

Currently, the 6m x 6m area is paved with paving bricks that have had their day, and I want to change them. The rest of the garden, all along the house, is concrete.

What I would like to do is pave the whole thing as one concrete slab, but I am open to any possibility really, as long as it looks good, and is both uniform and functional.

Has anyone on here had a contractor in to do an extensive paving job? If so, what sorts of costs did you face? What about options? I have thought about concrete slabs, or wood, or that rubber stuff of the sort you find in children’s play parks.

I would appreciate any constructive input or advice.

scaredypants

pics of your wife holding today’s newspaper, or it DID happen 😯

(sorry, no real idea. That’s quite an area/volume of concrete though – what’s the access like ?)

SaxonRider

@scaredypants: I just realised that I will have to keep posting a pic of her with a newspaper everyday that this thread runs. I promise though that if anyone deserves to get buried under the patio, it would be me. 🙂

As for access, we have a 2m wide gate beside the house that opens onto the 5m x 2m area that runs like a corridor onto the rest of the patio.

cchris2lou

last year we had a patio paved on a concrete base with a rather difficult drain . it was 7 * 5 m , and that was £7k .

wrightyson
    Free Member

You really need to pick your finish to get an idea of costs. Simple 2×2 pcc slabs will go down quick and be far cheaper than say an Indian sandstone.

bails

The rest of the garden, all along the house, is concrete.

What I would like to do is pave the whole thing as one concrete slab

?
    😀

Rockape63
    Free Member

This is great value and looks good if laid well, ideally with a blue/black border. One pressure wash a year and it comes up like new, unlike most other stone.

However, as mentioned, because its so even, you really need a reinforced concrete sub base and a brickie/tiler to lay them with 1/3 pointing in 12mm gaps.

With most projects like this, the major cost isn’t the cost of the slabs, but the sub base and labour. (if you do it right)

deepreddave
    Free Member

Paving slabs. Relatively easy and cheap diy job. Very eco friendly too if there are some on freecycle or cheap on ebay and local.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Paving my patio?’ is closed to new replies.