• This topic has 74 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Pavement parking…does anyone actually GAS?
  • D0NK

So have a quick look at this and do a 360 pan. Loads of highly dubious parking (and some pcsos ignoring it – yeah I know, they don’t do parking enforcement) It’s gotten worse since the google car went through there are now half a dozen or so cars parked daily on the pavement behind where the pcsos are in that pic. Reported to local council who said “we’ll get it put on the TEO’s rounds” and have since ignored my emails (asking whether they’d got around to it)

Pavement parking has been increasingly getting on my tits last couple of years, loads of it round our way where you end up walking on the road coz both pavements are fully blocked with cars – I know the pavements in the link are pretty wide, this one is just kind of arguing the point as it’s pretty blatant and happens every work day. Council don’t care so would anything else? or do I just chalk it up to car culture?

wwaswas

does anyone actually GAS

It’s illegal in London.

Only enforced round here if there’s a single or double yellow on the road.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

does anyone actually GAS?

Yes. I do. It happens on our street despite (a) people having perfectly good drives to park on and (b) the road being big and quiet enough to park on. I despise having to walk on the road with my kids and pushchair because someone has blocked the pavement.

That said, where on your link is anyone parked on the pavement??

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    miketually
    Free Member

where on your link is anyone parked on the pavement??

I can’t see any.

dazh

Get a few mates together and bounce them back onto the road.

wwaswas

followed the link (now!) and they’re all parked on private land by the look of it?

DezB
    Free Member

I can’t see any.

They’ve had to drive across the pavement and cyclepath to park on the grass (now dirt). Is that legal?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

They’ve had to drive across the pavement…is that legal?

I hope so; I do that every time I park on my drive, or pull into a garage forecourt.

molgrips
    Free Member

In our street, most houses have two cars, and ALL of them have at least a garage and a drive, so they could easily keep two cars off-street. However, they either a) can’t be bothered or b) have converted their garages. So the road is completely choked with cars in the evening and you have to walk up the road. Which is great with kids or pushchairs.

D0NK

In the op I did say link has dubious parking which has since got worse with cars parked on pavement where pcsos are.

irc

Don’t see anything dubious in the link. Parking on land within 15yds of the road is specifically allowed.

It is not an offence under this section to drive a mechanically propelled vehicle on any land within fifteen yards of a road, being a road on which a motor vehicle may lawfully be driven, for the purpose only of parking the vehicle on that land.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/34

DezB
    Free Member

Fairy nuff.
    I was just trying to GAS.

Gary_M
    Free Member

They’ve had to drive across the pavement and cyclepath to park on the grass (now dirt). Is that legal?

You need to have a think about what you’re saying there!

As above I can’t see how the cars in the link are causing an issue.

29erKeith
    Free Member

Nope, nobody gives a toss! 👿

Bugs the hell out of me too, your not alone.

It’s all over the local town every bit of grass verge along one road is now gone with cars parked on them and the pavement and off road cycle routes, with certain ones regularly blocking them to buggy’s and pushchairs.

I’ve tried the Police, county council, local council, and a couple of local councillors one of which is my father in law who keeps telling me it terrifies him when I take my son out in the buggy on the back of my bike (regular nursery transport). Not one of them has done anything that’s had made the slightest bit of difference on a one specific bit of off road cycle route which I use to get my son to nursery which is now basically residents parking.

Too many lazy people and too many cars, bad planning rules etc etc no money in any budgets to do anything about it, and not a vote winner for the councillors to attack

andyl
    Free Member

Inconsiderate parking does my nut.

Popped into the village up the road earlier and parked in one of the many free spaces in the free car park. On leaving and crossing the road I found my path blocked by a defender 110 parked in a pub carpark but not in a space an blocking the whole pavement so had to walk round it on the road (as did several elderly people coming the other way).

About 20 metres up the road there was a Co-op delivery waggon parked half in and half out of the designated loading bay. Presumably so he was half a trailer length closer to the doors of the store but that half the trailer was clearly in a “no loading” zone and very close to a tight 90 degree bend in the road causing a dangerous obstruction.

then a further 20 metres up the road a yellow fiat was parked on zig zags right after a zebra crossing.

Then for seemingly no reason an elderly couple just stopped in the middle the road about 5 metres before the zebra crossing and started to look around while other confused car drivers stopped behind them but unable to pass due to the zigzags. I can only assume that the yellow car on the other side of the crossing (on their side) and the truck meant they were not sure whether to proceed as they could end up stuck on the wrong side of the road with cars coming towards them. In reality they had plenty of room but I can understand looking at them they could be easily confused by the pi$$ poor parking that was ahead of them.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Really gets on my nerves. Around my way they really take the pi$$ with it. What winds me up is that it’s people taking something that is their problem, i.e. where to leave their car, and making it everybody else’s problem.

miketually
    Free Member

We’re allowed to walk over cars parked on the pavement, right?

bails

Only enforced round here if there’s a single or double yellow on the road

Ah, round here he seems to be done to avoid double yellows.

No parking allowed on the road? Just dump your car on the ‘a-smidge-wider-than-a-car’ pavement.

molgrips
    Free Member

I should add that in our situation there’s plenty of on-road parking at the top of the hill 20-100 yards away from the houses, where the road is much wider and there aren’t any house frontages. Do they park up there? Do they hell, they choke up the street instead 🙁

DezB
    Free Member

You need to have a think about what you’re saying there

Shit, I don’t do I?

jonnouk
    Free Member

In our street, most houses have two cars, and ALL of them have at least a garage and a drive, so they could easily keep two cars off-street. However, they either a) can’t be bothered or b) have converted their garages

From what I’ve seen/experienced most people use garages as a place to keep things they meant to take to the tip or flog. “Out of sight, out of mind.”

Coming at this issue from a different perspective, I’m one of those that park on pavements. No markings on the road but if I were to park in the road no-one could get past (I leave enough room for prams to get by). This is in a newish estate with 1space per house. Seeing as I houseshare with 2 other car owners i’d imagine the a big cause is a lack of options for those wanting a place of their own.

miketually
    Free Member

No parking allowed on the road? Just dump your car on the ‘a-smidge-wider-than-a-car’ pavement.

The double yellows apply right up to the property line, so they include the pavement.

miketually
    Free Member

Coming at this issue from a different perspective, I’m one of those that park on pavements. No markings on the road but if I were to park in the road no-one could get past. This is in a newish estate with 1space per house. Seeing as I houseshare with 2 other car owners i’d imagine the a big cause is a lack of options for those wanting a place of their own.

In Japan, you’re not allowed to buy a car unless you can prove that you’ve somewhere to store it. We should have that system here.

lunge

If we can extend this rant to trucks and vans who use their parking immunity hazard lights please?

jonnouk
    Free Member

Terrific idea. 60miles a day would be great endurance training.

molgrips
    Free Member

From what I’ve seen/experienced most people use garages as a place to keep things they meant to take to the tip or flog. “Out of sight, out of mind.”

Mine is that, plus bike storage and workshop. However, I have three off-road parking spaces so I feel it’s ok for us.

Seeing as I houseshare with 2 other car owners i’d imagine the a big cause is a lack of options for those wanting a place of their own.

People probably wouldn’t mind the odd car here and there – there are one or two houseshares in our street too. Of course – perhaps you could park somewhere else and walk in? I did this when I lived in a street with no off-street parking at all. Sometimes I had to walk ooh.. 100m. I managed.

29erKeith
    Free Member

jonnouk – So it’s ok then to block the pavement and force pedestrians, parents with kids in buggy’s and the disabled on to the road?

My biggest problem point is along side a 50mph dual carriage way on a bend 20-30m from a roundabout. Am I expected to walk or ride on that with my son in tow (50% of the time against the flow of traffic) for the sake of somebody parking their car 100m up the road?

Each time I’ve asked people to move their cars firmly but politely. I’ve been sworn or told point blank their not moving it or been told to walk on the road and even been told to find another cycle route home despite that being the one and only proper and safe option.

jonnouk not picking on you but that general attitude of, well it suits me and not thinking of others is the problem. The fact that the authorities simply don’t give a toss just rubber stamps it. Only a few years ago I wasn’t anywhere near as bad round here. But once a few people start doing it then others follow. I see plenty of examples where there are driveways with space yet they park on the verg\pavement anyway maybe so they don’t have to do a car shuffle or it’s perhaps snug

stumpy01

miketually – Member

In Japan, you’re not allowed to buy a car unless you can prove that you’ve somewhere to store it. We should have that system here.

While i agree with this sentiment, doing this would mean that new build estates would immediately have to offer more off street parking, nobody would want to buy older terraced properties that rely on on-street parking etc.

When we were looking to move house a few years ago, most of the new build estates only have one allocated space per house, many of which are in front of the garage. One we looked at had a fairly large area of front lawn that extended around the side of the property. I asked about the feasibility of putting a second parking space on this area and was told that was not allowed; something about not changing the appearance of the house for a certain number of years; it was 5 or possibly 10 years. You even had to get permission to re-paint the front door.

We ended up moving to a house where you can get 2 cars on the drive without one blocking the other in; 3 at a push. I didn’t want to live in an area where the roads become slalom courses due to the amount of on-street parking.

The parking that really winds me up is when people effectively block the pavement so you have to walk on the road to get round the car. It’s fine (although annoying) for an able bodied person, but for parents with young children in prams/buggies, people in wheelchairs/mobility scooters and blind people it can make a journey a lot more difficult and dangerous.

jonnouk
    Free Member

jonnouk – So it’s ok then to block the pavement and force pedestrians, parents with kids in buggy’s and the disabled on to the road?

Did you read what I wrote? There’s room. It’s not blocked. I’m half-tempted to give a google-view of the road in question but i don’t want people turning up on their valiant steeds with pitchforks in hand.

molgrips
    Free Member

nobody would want to buy older terraced properties that rely on on-street parking etc.

No problem. Just allocate a couple of spaces outside the house to the house – it’d work. Most terrace streets can be parked on sensibly. If they can’t, then they should (and often do) have double yellows. I’ve seen lots of nice houses in small towns that are on double yellows, which brings the value right down.

DezB
    Free Member

No problem. Just allocate a couple of spaces outside the house to the house – it’d work.

Have you ever been to Portsmouth?

D0NK

Nothing dodgy about people mounting double yellowed kerbs and parking on scrubland I’m fairly sure they don’t have permission to park on? Hmm
    OK pan 90degrees right, how about those 2 blue cars parked in the junction to a road that didn’t get finished?
    Anyway pavement parking is my main beef and unfortunately Google car didn’t pick that up but visit the place most mornings currently and you’ll see it

stumpy01

molgrips – Member

No problem. Just allocate a couple of spaces outside the house to the house – it’d work. Most terrace streets can be parked on sensibly. If they can’t, then they should (and often do) have double yellows. I’ve seen lots of nice houses in small towns that are on double yellows, which brings the value right down.

It will work in a lot of places, but equally it won’t work in a lot of other places.
    I can think of plenty of streets in Cambridge with terraced housing where parking one car per house is tight, let alone ‘allocating a couple of spaces’.
    Perhaps we need to bring in a similar idea to the Japanese size tax (can’t remember what it’s called) that created cars such as the WagonR and the Daihatsu Copen…..and if people want to live in certain city centre locations, they have to own one of these little cars.

There was a large complex of apartments built in Cambridge several years ago and the entire place has underground parking, which I think is a great idea and it works very well….

lemonysam
    Free Member

I saw a wheelchair-bound chap knock the wing mirrors off two cars parked here who block the pavement every day and continued to do so after he’d left notes explaining that pulling into the road, up a steep hill by a blind junction, on a road where speeding is habitual was a shitty experience. From the look of streetview, at least one of them still parks there. I can’t say I had much sympathy with the owners.

freddyg
    Free Member

Regarding driving across the pavement, I thought you could only drive over a pavement at a dropped kerb?

I may have just imagined that, however.

jonnouk
    Free Member

Of course – perhaps you could park somewhere else and walk in? I did this when I lived in a street with no off-street parking at all. Sometimes I had to walk ooh.. 100m. I managed.

It’d have to be more like 300m considering outside my estate it’s double yellows or pavement-parking everywhere. Maybe I should make the effort, the Air Cadets minibus & car were torched 15meters away from mine last night. Or, you know, not. Seeing as nobody’s wing mirror have been smashed or sides been keyed in the years i’ve lived there.

andyl
    Free Member

Not on the pavement but this demonstrates typical Bristol parking: http://goo.gl/LGZyLa

Very kindly blocking pedestrians and drivers views.

Ever since I came here 14 years ago I’ve been amazed at people parking on junctions. That is a mild example of what I normally see at that junction.

tonyd

Pavement parking winds me up too. Our last house was on a fairly new build estate and the wife was constantly having to walk in the road with pushchairs/prams. I stubbornly forced my way through in most cases, was tempted to fit some of these to the pushchair

jambalaya
    Free Member

Doesn’t look like a problem to me. If the landowner cares he can go to the expense of installing a fence. Pavement parking is a problem, ie parking on the pavement and blocking the path for pedestrians. These people are not doing that however.

m1kea
    Free Member

#yplac

Very regular submissions to their twitter feed and website of this sort of selfish p1ss boiling twattery

(and breathe….)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Pavement parking…does anyone actually GAS?’ is closed to new replies.