Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Paused my Garmin by mistake – how to fill in the gap?
  • stevious

As per the title, have a garmin file missing some data because I paused it without realising. Have tried to google for a way to fill in the gap but failed. Does anyone have any advice on this?

Cheers.

njee20
    Free Member

Very hard short of editing the XML, which itself is time consuming rather than anything else. Forget it I’d say.

theflatboy
    Free Member

You should just be able to combine the FIT files, and Strava or whatever else should just interpret the gap and add it to the elapsed time. I had to do that the other day when my Garmin crashed halfway through a ride and I ended up with two separate activities.

Edit – forget that, I’ve read the OP a bit more carefully!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    njee20
    Free Member

All it’ll do is show it jumping from one point to the next – it won’t fill in the gap per se though

You may be able to use Raceshape SNAP to drag it back onto the right route if it was a road ride.

welshfarmer

I once fixed a section of missing data by uploading the GPX files to memory Map, editing them, and then saving as a new file and uploading that to Strava. The distance & hight were all OK but the times taken for the edited sections didn’t exist. To my shame it gave me a KOM over that section with a time of 0 seconds!

The alternative is to go via Strava technical help. They will actually fix things for you if they can. I had to do a hard reset on my phone and it recorded my ride as being in 1980 as the time didn’t reset itself as I had no internet connection out and about. I asked the tech bods at Strava and they fixed it for me

stevious

Cheers for the advice. Turns out it didn’t record my time up some big segments (you know, like Bealach na Ba) today as well so have flagged the whole thing for a fixin’ from Strava.

DrP

TBH all you can do is ‘add in’ the miles you rode. You can’t really be included in riding a segment because ‘no time data’ would exist for it.

You say it didn’t record your time up a big segment, but this venture is pointless really because as I said, ‘no time exists’ for that segment, so you can’t really count it!

I’d just leave it frankly…

DrP

Drac

Dead easy to edit GPS tracks.

http://www.gpstrackeditor.com

oldgit
    Free Member

Interesting link.
    I did a 150km out using a Garmin to navigate, when downloaded I got accurate distance and average, but no map.
    I then set the return route (a different map) the Garmin again navigated the return 150km, but I had nothing at all to download?
    Seemed strange that it navigated the 300km ride without fault.

irelanst
    Free Member

I did it once for a route where the GPS had lost reception on a couple of occasions so the total distance wasn’t measured correctly (I think it was my first 1/2 marathon, so I wanted a record of my time). I imported the .gpx data into Excel, created the missing sections of GPS data using Garmin Basecamp and interpolated the times for each point. It was a pain in the rear, I haven’t done it again!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Paused my Garmin by mistake – how to fill in the gap?’ is closed to new replies.