• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by robh.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Pauls Components Chain Guide?
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

anybody run one of these? looking like they are only available in USA? it looks and sounds exactly like what i need, only issue i can see is if it will fit on a five due to the swingarm?

all the reviews of this seem to suggest its the best ‘simple’ chain guide out there?

any real life uk reviews?

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

I run one and works a dream for me riding XC.

A lot of the reviews I read had complaints about dropping the chain on really big terrain but for me its been perfect inc the Peaks and trail centres.

Positioning of the bolts mean set up takes a little patience but once done I’ve got no rub at either end of the cassette though I did need to move BB spacers to get a good chainline

I also think it’s one of the nicest looking out there.

Mine is a seat tube mounted 28.6 and will be up for sale in a few weeks as changing frames and will have a bigger seatpost but will likely use a Pauls again.

househusband
    Free Member

You can get them in the UK; got mine from Brick Lane Bikes in London, IIRC.

As Ben says – they are by far one of the more aesthetic. I’d agree that they are by far one of the best, simpler, devices.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    djflexure

My son has one and it looks and goes well.
    Never dropped a chain with me riding reds etc

nedrapier

got one on the 1*9 road/tourer/cx type thing. Does everything I want it to (keeps the chain on, look good) and nothing I don’t (be heavy, rub in top or bottom)

If I went to 1 x 9 on the mtb, I’d get another. Jenson USA cheaper than Brick Lane Bikes, but not after you’ve been stung for £14 tax and admin charge.

endurogangster
    Free Member

hi, ive got one for sale if you are interested, email in profile, only used for a short while until i went singlespeed.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

thanks guys – really appreciate the input!

how big is this chain keeper? is it the same size as a standard low clamp front mech? reason i ask is cos its tight on my swingarm, so if its much bigger than a front mech i dont think it will fit 🙁 if its the same size (i mean the cage length etc) then it should be fine!

the guys over on mtbr certainly rave about it, the only one ive seen similar and of similar quality to this device is a gusset lil chap

boxfish
    Free Member

If you decide to go for the Chain Keeper, make sure you get the right clamp size!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

well seat post is a 27.2mm and my current mech is a 31.8mm so im guessing id just order a 31.8mm they dont actually state 27.2mm so guessing its the outer diameter?

letmetalktomark

Why not future proof and buy the BB mounted one ….. same price albeit a bit more faff to set up.

PiknMix
    Free Member

i have been riding mine on my play bike for a bit, had no problems whatsoever, saved it from the parts bin at least.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

does any one have any ideas if it will fit on a five? i know the swingarm could be an issue, but currently run a standard low clamp mech? so if its the same size it should fit?

any help appreciated!

robh

Head bit of them is smaller than a standard front mech so you should be fine with it, great bits of kit and very neat.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Pauls Components Chain Guide?’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts