Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Paul Weller
  • gordimhor

Watching bbc4 at the moment and Paul weller seems to have gotten some fire back in his belly, and stopped the safe bluesy rock formula he was following for a few albums, good to see him back

cinnamon_girl

Hmm, I watched a bit of it and thought it was woeful. Of course it may well have been due to my cheapo telly, B & Q cabling, not being plugged into my cheapo speakers. 😉

I really used to like him but think I perhaps just o’d. 😐

gordimhor

I used to really like the jam and the style council but after wild wood I thought his solo stuff just got more and more formulaic until wake up the nation, which was about 15 years of dull

killwillforchips
    Free Member

Paul weller: Bradley Wiggins dad?

carbon337
    Free Member

He looks like someone from that TOWIE thing.

Fake tanned, dyed hair, pumped up chest, low cut top.

decent program though.

gordimhor

Or maybe Bradley Wiggins barber 🙂

gordimhor

I may not have always liked his music but I reckon he has not[/quote] turned out to be one of the b#####ds sons

brakes
    Free Member

Jam – awesome
    Style Council – meh
    Wild Wood & Stanley Road – awesome
    everything since – ugh
    Sonik Kicks – awesome? almost

gordimhor

So out of all the late 70s/80s bands who is still making new music that is even occasionally worth listening to. Aside from Nick Cave the only good new album from a band of that era is possibly Deacon Blue’s new one

djglover
    Free Member

Jam – meh
    Style Council – awful
    Wild Wood & Stanley Road – awesome
    everything since – ugh

CountZero

So out of all the late 70s/80s bands who is still making new music that is even occasionally worth listening to. Aside from Nick Cave the only good new album from a band of that era is possibly Deacon Blue’s new one

ZZTop
    Neil Young
    Gang Of Four

gordimhor

Neil Young is always interesting even though I don’t always agree with him and don’t always like his music he is always willing to try something different. Early Gang of four were brilliant but on the other hand they did inspire the Kaiser Chiefs 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Saw him at V quite a few years back in a late afternoon set, refreshing to see someone who could handle a big stage rather than the new bands who just looked a bit shell shocked, played and ran off

robbo
    Free Member

The Cure

gordimhor

Last few years I have avoided going to big gigs or festivals I personally prefer small venues.. My favourite venue would probably be Barrowlands in Glasgow

Northwind

Tom Waits.

gordimhor

Haven’t heard anything from the cure for years, links please

gordimhor

Big fan of Tom Waits but he, Neil Young and Zz Top all pre date the late 70s

gordimhor

Sonic Youth were good till they jacked it in last year

Cheezpleez

I thought the Amy Winehouse duet was killer. They could have made a great album together.

gordimhor

She really was good. Its not surprising that Weller was a fan of hers

elzorillo
    Free Member

Saw him in Sherwood pines.. he was a misereable sod!

john_drummer
    Free Member

New Model Army: 1980 – to date

DezB
    Free Member

Deacon Blue??! 😆

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

They’re still doing stuff?

Still, I expect they’ll have a longer career than the likes of Lana Del Rey.

fasthaggis

I like the idea of people like Weller really working hard with new bands as they retire(didn’t see the program, so maybe he is).Oldies (that used to be my heroes ) dragging themselves round the tour circuit, while missing notes,not having the range and generally taking the p**s,just makes me sad 🙁

gordimhor

Got to say the nostalgia tours are [list]pretty crap. Human League Heaven 17 The Animals, The Pistols. All embarrassing.

davidjones15
    Free Member

Haven’t heard anything from the cure for years, links please

Saw The Cure live a couple of years ago. Bloody magnificent, Smith just gets better with age.

Klunk
    Free Member

I may not have always liked his music but I reckon he has not turned out to be one of the b#####ds sons

Dee, Lucy and Samantha may have differing opinions on that. And a warning to Hannah it’s always the backing singers you have to watch out for, But you probably know that already 🙂

gordimhor

There’s no doubt, he should have kept his trousers on but when I said he didn’t turn out to be one of the ba##&##s sons I was thinking more of his politics than his personal life

jambalaya
    Free Member

Sonia Kicks is a good album, I cannot comment on his other recent stuff as I’ve not been aware of it – perhaps that says something.

Jam were iconic, Style Council very good, some of my favourite songs.

As a Woking lad we used to see him about a reasonable amount, always struck me as pretty down to earth.

ononeorange

We watched the programme and I thought it was excellent. I hadn’t realised how much I liked him. Each song was excellent.

I might just have to buy some of his stuff – is Stanley Road a good starter?

gordimhor

Ononeorange I would pick Wild Wood over Stanley Road but I am probably in a minority there

brakes
    Free Member

Stanley Road is one of my favourite ever albums

ononeorange

Hmmmm…..maybe both then!

Thanks

Klunk
    Free Member
    geordiemick00
    Free Member

Fantastic response to him selling out to Volkswagen and doing a show with a VW Beetle in every single shot…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvJQH1XFH0Y[/video]

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Is there no begginning to his talents?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I personally think that is a pretty good cover of that song – it’s hard to imagine someone covering it without stuffing it up compared to the original but Paul’s version is pretty good.

I think he has got that blue-eyed soul/blues mix down pretty well, although his last album didn’t it have so much and maybe tended back towards a Jam feel, which I didn’t appreciate.

He just need to find a decent hairdresser…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Paul Weller’ is closed to new replies.