• This topic has 57 replies, 51 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by aP.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Paul Smith cycle clothing, been done yet?
  • Stoner
    Free Member

If it were 853, it would be worth the premium price. But 531 is just not going to cut it.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Well….it’s the first time Rapha has looked like being good value!!!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Did some nice stuff years ago summet to do with the Bontrager 24-12 if i remember right (which I proabqbly don’t)

But that stuff is ‘orrble. (well more meh than horrible but once you’ve included the price – horrible)

Klunk
    Free Member

no multi coloured stripes i’m out.

binners

Seems that the fashion industry has noticed how much cyclists are prepared to spaff on bikes and associated stuff, and we’ve officially been moved into the box marked ‘gullible half-wits’

550 dabs for a plain black waterproof that just looks as plain and unremarkable as anything you’d get from Altura/Endura et al, and will just be made from the same material 😯

Harry_the_Spider

£85 for a T Shirt?!

4 cough.

AlexSimon

The new golf

weeksy

Oh my word ! £550 for a jacket…. Jeeez.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Quite like the waterproof jacket but £550! That’s mental.

Paul Smith is an interesting character and quite a rider in his day.

binners

I can think of one person I know who’s probably ordered a selection already.

He’s a preening, sociopathic, self-absorbed tit who happens to (occasionally) ride an expensive road bike (when the sun’s out), since it became fashionable.

Right up his street, is this stuff. In fact I’ve probably just inadvertently summed up the target market, after Paul and friends had the marketing meeting 😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

😆 right ye are paul!

yunki
    Free Member

I don’t get it.. Paul Smith jackets are always that sort of price aren’t they? What’s the hoo hah?

I used to errr… ‘procure’ the occasional PS item when I was an impressionable teenager and such things mattered..

Lovely kit, good quality and nice tailoring.. I couldn’t spend that knd of dollar these days though, even if I wanted to, and I’m a bit long in the tooth for procuring stuff

PMK2060

The packable jacket looks ok. If it was 50 quid I might be tempted.

bikebouy
    Free Member

ads678

They actually have a ‘sort by – Price lowest first’ bit on the drop down!! 😯

cinnamon_girl

He obviously thinks that te wimminz should be back in the kitchen. Well, I would be if I was cooking for David Millar. 😉

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Sniggers at the picture of the guy on the track bike with pedal reflectors.

hot_fiat

Strewth, £450 for a windproof?

stumpy01

This is where my comprehension of branding/fashion/labels falls down…

I struggle to believe that anyone out there would spend that sort of money on cycling kit – especially as it doesn’t look any better than stuff you can get at a fraction of the price.
    Who buys this stuff? I know about the argument that if you are loaded and can afford it, then why not? But, even if I had ooodles of cash, I would look at this stuff and wonder what it gives me over other riding kit for the extra money. And all I can think of is the ‘name’ and perhaps bragging rights if that is your thing. Oh, maybe exclusivity?

A cotton cycling t-shirt for £85?! It’s just a t-shirt. And cotton isn’t that good anyway for wearing while undertaking sweaty activities.

I just don’t get why people would pay for this stuff, over more sensibly priced decent kit….

scruff
    Free Member

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Not in this lifetime.
    i’ll wait for it all to come into TKmax 😆

munrobiker
    Free Member

He’s a preening, sociopathic, self-absorbed tit who happens to (occasionally) ride an expensive very ugly road bike (when the sun’s out)

HOUNS, Houns to the forum please…

(It all looks fine to me, it’s actually quite nice, clean and modern looking especially compared to Endura/Altura stuff which has been designed with little consideration for how it looks, or Rapha stuff which is mostly retro nonsense. I’d not pay that much but there are folk who earn a lot of money, wear a nice suit and ride a nice bike that’ll be happy to spend that much.)

allthepies
    Free Member

Harsh.

BigDummy
    Free Member

OK. I really like a lot of Paul Smith stuff. And I get that it costs money.

I’m struggling with quite how much money that stuff is though. It’s making almost anything else you can think of look really cheap…

EDIT:

there are folk who earn a lot of money, wear a nice suit and ride a nice bike that’ll be happy to spend that much.)

For a given value of “lot”, “nice” and “nice”, I’m in that category. I’m baulking at the £350 hoodie to be honest.

🙂

ThePinkster

Makes the Brooks Clothiog range looks positively bargaintastic! and I know which I’d rather spend my money on when commuting.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Review in this months mag of rain jackets, most seemed to be over the £200 mark.

Having said that, the PS stuff look like the Aldi stuff, black with one colour pannel.

brakes
    Free Member

Very nice, if you’re an oligarch or a football player.
    I like the stuff, but it’s like they’ve pinched the Rapha website and applied a x2 premium to everything.

Free Member

Paul is s very keen cyclist and has been doing collaborations with Mercian and Rapha for many years. It might be expensive, but he has a long standing relationship with cycling and is not simply cashing in on the recent surge in interest. I’m a great fan of Paul Smith shoes and clothing and the quality has always been excellent.

scaredypants

needs more stars

avdave2

The prices are as they are to do a job, a job I hope they do well, to stop me having to look at any of you riff raff wearing the same apparel as me as I ride my bicycle.

While I may be joking in regard to myself I think it’s very much a factor for the target market of the more expensive clothing market.

JoB
    Free Member

stumpy01 – Member
    I struggle to believe that anyone out there would spend that sort of money on cycling kit – especially as it doesn’t look any better than stuff you can get at a fraction of the price.

it’s not cycling kit, it’s Paul Smith clothing (with associated prices) that’s been designed to cycle in and turn up at your destination looking smart*

*open to interpretation

joolsburger
    Free Member

People can buy what they like it’s their money. He does seem to have some neck on him though.

ericemel
    Free Member

We spend how much on our bikes and sniff at expensive clothes 🙂

cheekyboy
    Free Member

People can buy what they like it’s their money. He does seem to have some neck on him though.

He deserves the Duraglit order of merit 🙂

Houns

😡 @munro

I wouldn’t buy it even if I could afford it, I don’t like the look of any of it

maccruiskeen

I’ll wait til Wiggle come out with something very similar 🙂

Speeder

Some of it looks good but the prices are not for us mortals.

At least it doesn’t have any of his “trademark stripes” which manage to make almost every collaborative project he does look sh**

medoramas
    Free Member

Jacket + shorts + t-shirt = more than I paid for my bike… 😕

edhornby

there are always ‘halo’ items that sell only a handful of, and the main product lines that operate the majority of turnover

guess which ones these are

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Paul Smith cycle clothing, been done yet?’ is closed to new replies.