Viewing 15 posts - 81 through 95 (of 95 total)
  • Paul Gascoigne
  • Drac

Gazza had mental health issue whilst playing football too, they didn’t just magically appear.

Anyway it doesn’t what you say now you can’t dig yourself out of the hole this comment made.

The guy gets compassion thrown at him left, right and centre, maybe getting told sink of swim and take a bit of responsibility for yourself is exactly what he needs.

wilburt
    Free Member

My father essentially drank himself to death at young age and my uncle is at this moment resigned to bed with a 3 month life expectancy for the same reason. Both bi-polar, both brilliant, both enormously productive, resourceful and compassionate people eventually beaten by their weakness for alcohol.

muggomagic

It’s unfortunately a common attitude that people with depression, mental health issues or drink/drug problems need to just get over themselves.

bigrich

What about his wife and children who are the victims of domestic violence?

he knocked his wife and kid around until they had to leave. she divorced him years ago, but kept coming back for more. In fact, there was a story about him getting arrested for assaulting her last year.

alcoholism is a disease, and I hope he finds a resolution, but hitting your wife and kids? nah.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

His kids, I have ultimate sympathy for, but his ‘wife’ was no better than any of the other hangers on that have taken their pound of flesh.

bigrich

oh well, she deserved her beatings then.

she had him living in her house whilst he was in his last round of rehab, then he got pissed, got arrested for assaulting her, and she picked him up from the police station.

doesn’t sound like a hanger-on to me.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

doesn’t sound like a hanger-on to me.

what’s her line of work?

bigrich

what’s her line of work?

getting beaten by an ex-footballer I think.

Drac

What ever she is I don’t think it’s fair to say it’s Ok she had a beating because she was a hanger on, not in the slightest. I’m sure his alcoholism would be a large factor in this though but that is absolutely no excuse.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

pays better than tescos

bigrich

What ever she is I don’t think it’s fair to say it’s Ok she had a beating because she was a hanger on, not in the slightest. I’m sure his alcoholism would be a large factor in this though but that is absolutely no excuse.

I was being Ironic.

allthepies
    Free Member

And I believe Drac wasn’t responding to your post

Drac

allthepies – Member
    And I believe Drac wasn’t responding to your post

^that.

piemonster

Well, this is an unpleasant thread.

schnor
    Free Member

Speaking as an alcoholic (albeit one who’s been dry for 3 years 8 months and 21 days; BTW I’m firmly in the camp who believes I’m not a ‘recovering’ alcoholic, I am an alcoholic and I always will be, it’s just that I’ve not drunk in a while) – and incidentally having been through a very tough time over the last few weeks.

Us alkies unfortunately recognise that, as we can see with gazza, not all of us can cope particularly well with repeatedly getting back on / dropping off the wagon. There is one thing I do know; never write someone off, no matter how low they are.

I’ve no idea what his support structure is (or like me he might not have anyone to turn to, bar the excellent NHS of course), but depending on whatever underlying MH issues he has, it can be an incredibly complicated issue. Quite honestly even after so long I’m still coming to terms with my situation and all the why’s and wherefore’s, let alone trying to figure out the intricacies of someone else going through something similar across the intertubes.

Ultimately (and without writing pages and pages) all I can say is that there is no easy solution. I wish him – together with his family and friends – well.

Viewing 15 posts - 81 through 95 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘Paul Gascoigne’ is closed to new replies.