Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 250 total)
  • Patrol or Reign?
  • poah
    Free Member

I also run 165 cranks which puts the seatpost up a bit compared to
    175. I couldn’t run 175 cranks on my bike

bogdan27
    Free Member

Sorry for thread hack but I’ve seen some mention here a Capra but nothing clear . I have one (CF Pro) on order but since they cannot deliver it due to the Fox shock recall got me thinking if I should choose something else . So what would you people choose between the following (their the same price) :

Frame : Transition Patrol 2017
    Shock : Rock Shox Super Deluxe RC3
    Headset : brand X
    Fork : Rock Shox Lyric RCT3 Solo Air
    Stem :ANVL Swage 35mm
    Handlebar : ANVL Mandrel
    Grips : ANVL Lock On
    Seatpost : Rock Shox Reverb Stealth
    Saddle : ANVL Forge CroMo
    BB: Truvativ
    Cranks : SRAM S1400 GX1
    Chain : SRAM PC1130
    Cassette : SRAM XG 1150 11-42T
    Rear derailleur : SRAM GX 1×11
    Trigger : SRAM GX 1×11
    Wheels : Easton ARC27 / DT350
    Tires : Maxxis Minion DHF / DHR 2

Specs for Capra are here : https://www.yt-industries.com/en/products/bikes/enduro/557/capra-cf-pro

Mind to tell that I’m 6 foot / 183 and Large Patrol would suit me better.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Regardless of what the bikes are, would it not make sense to buy the one that fits properly, rather than the other one?

It could be the best deal in the world, but it if it doesn’t fit, it’s pointless.

Simwit

Simwit, could you not run a 100mm Reverb

I could but if I had to do that it suggests that the frame would be too big surely?

It could be the best deal in the world, but it if it doesn’t fit, it’s pointless.

Agreed

bogdan27
    Free Member

Regardless of what the bikes are, would it not make sense to buy the one that fits properly, rather than the other one?

Maybe I haven’t put it right, I haven’t tested a Patrol (their pretty rare in my area) only a Large Reign which I’ve read their pretty similar and a the Large Capra. They both fit fine, only that the Transition has the newer Geo with long & low approach . In a few words if sizing would be a score in my decision Trans would get a 9/10 and Capra a 8/9 .

But besides sizing, what is your take ?

poah
    Free Member

frame would be too big surely?

No, it’s to do with how far you can shove the post down the tube.

Transition sell the small patrols with 100mm posts

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

I notice they’ve changed the seat post clamp to face forward on the new frames and the slot on the frame no longer lines up with the slot on the clamp, did Transition have trouble with them previously?

Asked Transition about this and they said they had a few leave the factory facing forwards when they should all face backwards. They have offered to swap the front triangle under warranty if I’d like to.

So it’s borked before I’ve ridden it 😆

RickDraper
    Free Member

My 2017 Carbon has the slot in the seat tube at the front of the seat tube, not the rear. Not overly bothered, doesn’t really make any difference IMHO.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

I’d rather have it at the front tbh, saves all the shit getting into it.

Plus I can tell everyone it’s a limited edition 🙂

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

But besides sizing, what is your take ?

Me, i’d rather have a Patrol. There are a lot of bikes I would take over a Capra though.

With the added benefit of not becoming some sort of odd, inverted snob from owning one 🙂

bogdan27
    Free Member

To be honest I really like the idea of something else than what everyone has but at least if it would have been a carbon patrol, but the seller was asking €850 more for a 2016 which is slightly to much for me right now.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

At last, it’s finished 🙂

I wanted to be honest and slate the bad bits but there aren’t any, really chuffed with how it rides. Glad I went for the large over the medium as it just felt right from the start. I was worried it was going to be noisy after reading of complaints, especially as a lot of my riding is over natural/rocky stuff but if anything it was quieter than my Spitfire.

I didn’t go mad as it’s my first ride in over a year but from the runs I went down it does feel a bit special compared to my Spitfire, I just felt like it wanted to be let loose but with the brakes still bedding in I held back a bit. Really need to get some confidence back. I’m not sure if going up a wheel size can make that much difference or more than likely it’s a combination of everything but it does feel properly quick.

Definitely lost my climbing legs but impressed with the way it goes up, I always felt too far back on my last bike and was forever shuffling forward but with the Patrol I just cranked my way up. Not sure if it’s just a case of the Patrol suiting me better or not but I’ve set it up exactly as my Spitfire was. My Spitty was 26″ and going to 27.5″ I thought climbing would be affected but it didn’t seem to be.

The Lyrik didn’t feel any different than my old Pikes but as I mentioned it’s been a while since my last ride so maybe back to back rides between the two I’d notice a difference. The Super Deluxe compared to my old CTD is like chalk and cheese, still need to play with the rebound but it just seemed to offer more grip climbing and float over everything on the way down. I expected to be switching between compression modes but if I’m honest I completely forgot about it and left it open. I did feel some pedal bob when up off the saddle climbing the steep stuff but it wasn’t anything more than I’ve had in the past and I’m sure flicking the lever on the shock to firm would help but unless I’m on a huge climb I will leave it as it is.

One thing that is bugging me is that the rear brake hose doesn’t seem to want to bend under the bb shell as the bike compresses. Instead it pushes the hose up through the two rear hose guides towards the caliper where it bows out nearly touching the spokes. Will have a look this week to see if I can get the hose to stay put.

Just want some Sixc cranks for it and it’s done although I’m not sure if get away with them at the moment.

SirHC

One thing that is bugging me is that the rear brake hose doesn’t seem to want to bend under the bb shell as the bike compresses. Instead it pushes the hose up through the two rear hose guides towards the caliper where it bows out nearly touching the spokes. Will have a look this week to see if I can get the hose to stay put.

Wrap some electric tape around the cable as it exits the frame and before the cable guide. Have to do this on my Reign and Trance as have the same problem.

jamj1974

That looks lovely Bluearsedfly! After many posts relating to it – it’s also most excellent to hear that your first ride went really well!

As a result of the previous page comment I have just checked my seat tube slot is at the front too!

jamj1974

Whatever crank you get go 165mm.

chiefgrooveguru

That looks very nice! I agree about the seat angle on the Spitfire, it’s the one thing I’d definitely change about mine – the 2016 and later versions are steeper. 27.5 definitely climbs a bit better than 26, just like 29 does.

165mm cranks FTW. Certainly no longer than 170mm.

If your Reverb slips, turn the clamp around so the bolt is opposite the slot – that tends to give a more circular and even clamping force.

poah
    Free Member

bro in law has no issues with 175mm cranks on the patrol

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Thanks lads. Feeling a bit saddle sore this morning, feel like I’ve had a good kick up the arse.

Wrap some electric tape around the cable as it exits the frame and before the cable guide. Have to do this on my Reign and Trance as have the same problem.

Will try that thanks. Was going to try some heat shrink but the insulation tape will save me taking the hose off. I had it on my old Trance too but it seemed to settle down after a few rides.

That looks lovely Bluearsedfly! After many posts relating to it – it’s also most excellent to hear that your first ride went really well!
    As a result of the previous page comment I have just checked my seat tube slot is at the front too!

Cheers jamj and thanks again for helping to point me in the right direction. So yours is a limited edition too?

That looks very nice! I agree about the seat angle on the Spitfire, it’s the one thing I’d definitely change about mine – the 2016 and later versions are steeper. 27.5 definitely climbs a bit better than 26, just like 29 does.

My Spitfire was a ’14, not sure of the angles compared to my Patrol but there is a noticeable difference. So is it official a bigger wheel climbs better? Not sure why but I had it in my head a smaller wheel would be better?

bro in law has no issues with 175mm cranks on the patrol

This was something else that surprised me, I had little in the way of pedal strikes compared to my Spitfire. I’m running 175mm cranks on a large frame (the same length as the large factory builds come with). I am running only 25% ish sag but intend to increase it and see how it rides.

Keep meaning to weigh it as I’m interested to see what it tips the scales at (not that it matters), apparently some come in around 27lb? Might have to dig my ‘special’ scales out.

[tart] Not sure on the stealth graphics, tempted to get some colour on the rims and fork? [/tart]

RickDraper
    Free Member

Keep meaning to weigh it as I’m interested to see what it tips the scales at (not that it matters), apparently some come in around 27lb? Might have to dig my ‘special’ scales out.

IIRC mine is 30lbs with Enve’s, 36, eagle, guide ultimates, crank bros mallet dh pedals and a dirty great big dfender mudguard.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Hardly a heavy build then is it? Suppose some of it is down to tyres etc?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Think mine is hovering around 29lbs dead with 36’s/X2, Guide ultimates, XX1/XTR, carbon seat & Arch’s on 28h DT hubs, ti axle pedals etc.

Obviously with the STW ‘adjustment’ it’s sub 27lbs 🙂

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Ha!

Looks like I will be lucky to hit 30lb then with my build, mainly XT, Hope E4s, Hope Enduros, 150mm Reverb, Sixc bars, Lyriks etc.

How the hell do they get to the 27lb in sure I saw on Transitions website?

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Just looking, it was Pinkbikes review that said a medium without pedals was 27.5lb.

RickDraper
    Free Member

Just checked and mine is showing 31.5lbs.

jamj1974

Just weighed* mine and it is 28.4lb**

That’s with: –
    Bos Deville FCV fork and Kirk shock
    Specialized Roval Fattie (Alloy) wheels
    Magic Mary 2.35 Trailstar Snakeskin
    Hans Dampf 2.25 Trailstar Snakeskin
    XX1 cassette, chain, shifter & mech
    RaceFace SixC Cinch cranks & BB w/Blackspire 30t ring
    Specialized Boomslang pedals
    Formula R0 brakes 203F & 180R
    Renthal Fatbar Carbon bar
    Renthal Apex stem
    Renthal Supertacky lock on grips
    Specialized Command Post IRCC
    Fizik Gobi Ti saddle
    Hope Headset
    Trek Remedy downtube protector

*Weighed just now with unmagic, unspecial Salter digital bathroom scales. **Method: Weigh fat git me. Weigh fat git me and bike. Subtract my fat git weight.

prezet
    Free Member

Out of interest is the seat clamp on the carbon Patrol integrated? All the pictures I’ve seen of them no one seems to use a different clamp.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Nope, independent but on my painted frame the frame is raw underneath the clamp.

Found a better pic.

Just weighed mine with my Reuben Heaton scales and its 31.6lb with Saint pedals which are apparently 1.1lb so around 30.5lbs with stuff like the chain guide and other bits that’s not too bad. Like I said, not too bothered about weight more out of interest.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

That’s a decent weight jamj. Apart from carbon cranks there’s not much else I’d want to change. Maybe carbon rims but I’ve dinged too many ali ones to make me think twice.

jamj1974

That’s a decent weight jamj.

It is pretty decent – but not deliberate. Obviously, there is nothing super-heavy on the bike but everything chosen more for function. I’ve also tallied up the stated weights for each part and it’s a little heavier than that – so I feel reasonably confident it’s accurate enough.

Now I need to lose a few stone myself!

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

I know that feeling, I was up at 5.30 Sunday morning wondering why I can’t button my shorts up anymore and why my once baggy tshirt now looks like it has been sprayed on me.

poah
    Free Member

my Small suppressor is 31.5lb and thats not a light build

Small Suppressor with CC DB IL coil (nukeproof) SLS spring, bottle cage
    Trek Remedy downtube protector
    160mm pike with mudhugger
    Saint brakes with 203mm ice tech rotors
    XT crank (165mm) 32t oval, shifter, cassette, mech (11sp XT)
    spank oozy trail bite wheels F baron 2.4 R HR2 3C 2.4
    reverb 125mm WTB volt saddle
    spank spike vibrocore 800mm bar, Ergon GE slims, RSP trail stem (35mm length)
    Time MX6 ATAC pedals

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Still can’t get the rear hose to behave. I’ve stopped it moving thanks to the wrapping a bit of insulation tape round it trick, but it’s almost like there’s too much hose between the caliper and the first hose guide when there’s no weight in the bike but when it’s fully compressed it’s just about long enough.

prezet
    Free Member

@bluearsedfly – what’s that downtube protector you’re running near the BB?

prezet
    Free Member

Thanks @poah

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Poah how do you find the wheels? I have the same ones (Oozy 295) really happy with them so far. Quite stiff too. Got Ardent Race on the back and Ardent up front but thinking of putting that on the back and something meatier on the front.

jamj1974

I zip tie my rear brake and rear derailleur cable together under the BB. That seems to stop bowing.

typer
    Free Member

That looks brilliant Bluearsedfly and I’m pleased you’re happy with it. You’re right in what you say about it being special. I’ve only rode mine a few times as of yet and I’m very very impressed with it. I’ve also got 175mm cranks and I can’t say I have been bothered by pedal strikes, having said that I had one of the dodgy El Guapo frames before hand that had the extra low bottom brackets which has probably helped. Also heard stories about how the alloy version was noisey because of the internal cable routing but it’s honestly as quiet as a mouse 🙂

poah
    Free Member

aphex_2k – Member

Poah how do you find the wheels?

had them for a year but I don’t do that many miles with the bike sadly. Been down fort william, inners, and battered through local rock gardens without any issue. I don’t run low pressures approx 28 F&R. Rim width suits my tyres and they are a decent weight. It was these or DT 1501ex wheels and they were just too expensive.

poah
    Free Member

jamj1974 – Member

I zip tie my rear brake and rear derailleur cable together under the BB. That seems to stop bowing.

same as me

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 250 total)

The topic ‘Patrol or Reign?’ is closed to new replies.