Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)
  • patriotism or racism?
  • barnsleymitch
    Free Member

"In fact, as a general rule, I would say that no one, owes anyone else, anything."
    Can't see that going down too well with Northern Rock when I refuse to pay my mortgage then ernie 😆

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

what a waste of time! 😕

however i'll stick with this

"A patriot loves their country, a nationalist hates everyone else's."

come on england. 😀

R.I.P. stu mcgroo.

Gary_C

Can't see that going down too well with Northern Rock when I refuse to pay my mortgage

Why not cut out the middleman & just pay it directly to Newcastle United?

😉

lister-hooded
    Free Member

I don't really get why folk have to go on about their own country (it does seem the English – and Yorkshiremen vis a vis counties -do this more than other in the UK)

/Tongue in cheek mode = ON

But if you were lucky enough to have been born and bred in Gods County you would bang on about it tooo 🙂

/ Tongue in cheek mode = OFF

kennyp
    Free Member

I doubt there's another country in the world would even have this debate, let alone take it seriously. I bought a British bike recently, partly because it got good reviews and partly because it was British. I've also boycotted goods from other countries in the past because they've done something I disagreed with. Doubt it mattered a toss to them, but it made me feel good.

AndyP
    Free Member

FFS buy British!!!

I'll buy british if it's any good. Otherwise I'll buy whatever works/lasts. Why should I buy tat just because it's from a certain country?

oh and the football shirt thing – if you're over 10 years old, bin it, or use it to clean your bikes.

iDave
    Free Member

I doubt there's another country in the world would even have this debate, let alone take it seriously.

really? you're retarded if you honestly think that. one day when you own a passport you might learn otherwise

kennyp
    Free Member

really? you're retarded if you honestly think that. one day when you own a passport you might learn otherwise

I'm not going to bother responding to your rather childish little insults, however please enlighten me as to why you think I'm mistaken. I've been to quite a few different countries, but this is the only one where being accused of being racist for wanting to support one's own industry would actually prompt a serious debate. In any other country the notion would be seen as laughable.

AndyP
    Free Member

I've been to quite a few different counties
    fixed that for you.

kennyp
    Free Member

Cheers Andy………..mind you, there have been a few counties I've been to where I've felt like I'm in a different country!

mk1fan
    Free Member

'Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious'

or

'The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants'

kennyp
    Free Member

t®ibal©hief, I'm waiting. I couldn't care less if you want to post something on an internet forum calling me retarded, silly names like that don't bother me. However please do have the decency to explain the logic behind your statement. I'm curious.

Stevie
    Free Member

Me too. I've been to a lot of countries and never heard that point of view. Precisely the opposite, in fact.

sodafarls
    Free Member

I wouldn't buy an Israeli bike.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I think you will find its only when you debate with people who don't understand what racism is that " buy British" could be accused of being racist.

It clearly isn't racist on many levels – but here the ignorance of what racism actually is runs so deep and the unfailing acceptance of the daily wail standpoint is so prevalent…….

Mean while – out in the real world

kennyp
    Free Member

It clearly isn't racist on many levels

I'd go further and say that it isn't racist on any level. In fact, I reckon about 98% of what is touted as "racism" these days isn't anything of the sort.

ton

kennyp, you talk sense mate. 😀

kennyp
    Free Member

Thank you ton.

westkipper
    Free Member

'Buying British' isnt racist, and as someone who believes in less of the current brand of global freemarket consumerism, it probably is a good thing that we should support more local industry over foreign ones*.
    I think its also a good thing that things are actually made where they are designed too, from expertise and an enviromental points.
    Just to muddy the water, I'd describe myself as an unapologetic nationalist (Scottish, though not always in a party political sense)but I'd be willing to bet I'm one of the least xenophobic folk on here.
    *Unless it means I have to buy some lugged, brazed steel, flexy boat anchor of a bike, in which case I'm aff tae buy Chinese Aluminium, or Taiwanese carbon, **** principles! 🙂

Northwind

PP wrote:

"FWIW I used to ride a (modern) Truimph motorbike. I loved it and was very proud it was made in the UK."

But then, for the last few years Triumph have made very, very good bikes- you could justify buying one even if it were japanese or korean or whatever else. And that's something to be proud of, not just british manufacturing but class leading british manufacturing, at the right price to boot.

What annoys me isn't "buy british", it's "Buy overpriced and british" or "Buy inferior and british"- and there's a lot of that around frankly. Quite a lot of it comes with a Hope sticker on it. I don't call that patriotic, I call it stupid…

And just possibly, if not racist then at least bigoted- there are people who assume that british is best, my grandad bought a Rover instead of "far eastern rubbish" for instance, which of course turned out to be an unreliable, tinworm infested piece of ****. But because it was british he assumed it was better than some foreign jonny's effort, and even after it dissolved he was still convinced it must be good as it was british, and a japanese car would have been even worse.

But, where there's a worthy UK product, why not?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

What is inferior or overpriced about Hope?

Northwind

The light range for one. The Hope 1 is laughably underpowered and overpriced yet people keep buying it, because it's Hope. The old quick releases for another. And the rear hubs, IMO (I like the front hubs but the rear is expensive, and only light because of the alloy freehub)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ah fair enough to that Northwind altho I disagree about the rear hubs.

Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘patriotism or racism?’ is closed to new replies.