Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Patio/whacker plates/how to content
  • spooky_b329

I’m raising and levelling a 4 metre square sloping site (16m sq) using chalk excavated from another area of my garden. (its waste chalk I would otherwise have to find a home for)

The chalk fill will increase from approx 0.4 metre at the top of the slope, to around 1 metre at the bottom of the slope, and the long term plan is to patio it.

I know I need to consolidate the fill, but by how much? Do I need to layer it approx 15cm deep and compact it and then repeat? Or do I just heap it up, walk about on it a bit and then compact the top layer?

I would hire a wacker plate but I want to layer it in stages as we are still digging out the other part of the garden, which means buying would probably be cheaper, plus its a long term thing that I suspect we’ll be doing for several weeks. But at £250, are cheap wackers any good? Petrol or electric? I have a punner (heavy square foot on a pole) that I can use to compact it, would a cheap wacker be much faster/more effective or should I just stick with the punner?

properbikeco
    Free Member

how are you going to retain it first of all?

If it is a long term project I’d just get it dumped there and leave to naturally settle for a while. Feel free to pack it down with whatever hand tools you have.

When it comes to patio, get whacker plate onto the sub-base and drop 4″ to 6″ of sand before paving

spooky_b329

The sides will have the topsoil removed further, then banked up/compacted with chalk, then topsoil back on and either turfed or plant a hedge on the right hand slope, and the huge heap of topsoil behind the camera will raise the lawn to meet the patio along the front edge.

I’m liking the ‘dump it there, bash it with whatever and let it settle’ as we have loads of work behind the house to do…continuing this along the back of the house and the steps are going too, then patio here as well.

Stoner
    Free Member

4″-6″ of sand?!?

It will look like a crazy golf course in 6 months!

1/2″ sharp sand floated level and then whacked is all you need. Obviously that goes on to a consolidated hardcore base.

wrightyson
    Free Member

The sand depends on which type of paving Shirley?

carlosg
    Free Member

I was going to suggest ebay but just had a look and they’re going for silly money. If you live anywhere near Leeds then I could maybe lend you mine? When we moved into our house I bought a rotorvator/wacker and cement mixer on the idea that I wouldn’t be tied to having to use them when hired whatever the weather, maybe thats why it’s taking me so long to finish everything.

molgrips
    Free Member

Bloody hell.

I need to do some paving shortly, and it seems like every writer has different advice 🙁

properbikeco
    Free Member

4″-6″ of sand?!?

It will look like a crazy golf course in 6 months!

1/2″ sharp sand floated level and then whacked is all you need. Obviously that goes on to a consolidated hardcore base

whoops mixed up my imperial and metric, you are right that is too much!

2″ of sand will give a good finish, wouldn’t go less as this will not adequately support slabs.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Whacker can be hired very cheaply – my local shop does them for £25 a day. Just hire it a couple of days whenever needed. I’d advise compacting that in layers as you go if you want a long-lasting job. 2 inch sand is fine, and don’t spot-mortar the slabs into place…use a full bed to support them and prevent cracking/settling.

worldrallyteam
    Free Member

Local building supplier hire point – Jewson? Do you know anyone who works for a builders merchant who could hire one for you.

spooky_b329

Thanks for the comments. Nothing local on ebay despite being in the crowded south east. Hire looks to be about £35 a day (or £75 a week but I’ll probably only get a days use out of it each week) tomorrow could be a wasted day off as the cramp that struck my leg whilst packing the spades away on Sunday has still got me limping!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Patio/whacker plates/how to content’ is closed to new replies.