• This topic has 49 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Twin.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Paternity Leave – did you take yours?
  • GrahamS

Just read this interesting factoid:

"Some 45% of new fathers said they did not take paternity leave, according to a 2009 report by the Equality and Human Rights Commission. Of those, 88% said they would have like to have done so and 49% said they could not afford it."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11086630

Blimey!

Is this one of the last great institutionalised gender inequalities or just they way it has to be?

Seems a real shame for those dads that miss out on those first two weeks. They'll never get them back. And you do have to wonder if it makes it harder to bond with the baby if you're back to work the next day like nothing happened.

I thought this was telling tho: "When my daughter Iris was born two-and-a-half years ago, paternity leave was £109 a week. There was no way I could afford take it – that wouldn't cover the mortgage, not without dipping into our savings.

For me, that is what savings are for, to make sure I can do things like that, but I guess those closer to the breadline may feel differently.

Thoughts?

tiger_roach
    Free Member

I got 2 weeks full pay – rode a lot….

I could have missed out though as you're supposed to tell your employer about 3 months before the due date and I hadn't noticed that so was a few weeks late, fortunately they didn't mind.

clubber
    Free Member

I took my 3 paid days and then the holiday I'd saved up to make it up to two weeks. No way I was going to miss though first couple of weeks.

uplink
    Free Member

They never had it when mine were born, I just took some holiday days like everyone else

joemarshall
    Free Member

I took one week paternity (full paid), and one week holiday after it.

Then have taken the rest of my holiday since, mostly in one week blocks, plus all Fridays in August.

I work for a niceish employer – if you only get statutory, it can be quite a big amount of money to lose, and I can see why people are a bit careful about money when they've just had a baby.

Joe

vinnyeh

Surely did- had a month off both times, luckily since both births were c sections.

Don't understand the rush to get back to work- so many fathers talk about their 'greatest achievement' etc, and then can't wait to get back to the office. If money was really that tight, wouldn't taking holiday be a good idea?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

that is what savings are for, to make sure I can do things like that

I agree. Granted not everyone has savings they can did into, but I would have thought all but those on the breadline could at least put a bit of money aside during the pregnancy so they could afford time off work. Fewer pints at the weekend, fewer meals out and takeaways. It all adds up

hora
    Free Member

No, the morning after the birth I went on a long ride to think things through.

Told work I was in hospital and told the missus I was at work…..I got rumbled though when I showed up at the hospital with mud on my arm.

miketually
    Free Member

I didn't take any for my first – she was born in the summer holiday and I'm a teacher.

The second was born during the term-time, so I took the week that I got on full pay. Couldn't afford to take the second week on statutory pay only and we don't get to take holiday in term time.

GrahamS

Seems like there are at least three camps here:

1) those that took the statutory-paid two weeks and shouldered with the financial shortfall.

2) those that opted to take some time as (presumably fully-paid) annual leave instead.

3) those that couldn't afford to, or for some reason didn't want to, do either and went straight back to work.

swavis

I'll be taking mine when our baby is born the end of November. If it's a little late I'll have nearly a month off with xmas holidays too.
    I agree OP, that is indeed what savings are for, other than bike bling of course 😉

beamers

Took my full two weeks paid, back to work for a week and then two weeks Easter holidays.

Our nipper timed her arrival to perfection.

I have a very understanding employer.

tonyd

Yep, took the full two weeks I was allowed. Number 2 is due in December and I'll hopefully do the same, although am hoping to change jobs soon so that may well depend on my new employer.

boxelder

I took a week with Nos 1 and 2 (teacher, so was on holiday for second weeks anyway. Took 2 weeks for No 3, as looking after the other twoo and having a new born ain't easy. Each week cost ~£300 in lost salary, but worth it obviously.

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

I took 2 weeks, got full pay, got 5 days dependants leave and then 2 weeks holiday

hora
    Free Member

I might add that as the recession was raging I really didn't think it was the best time to take two weeks off.

I imagine quite a few new Dads were/are in this position as well 🙁

woody2000

Yip, in fact today is my first day back at work after 3 weeks pat leave 🙂

A lot of people (I assume) don't realise it's a right? Does seem a shame to miss out 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

Jnr Grips was born 3 days after my contract ended and I didn't have another – took me 2 months to find one which sort of worked out nicely – lived off savings.

I helped out with the baby at first, which I'm told was useful. However me and Meg didn't really start to bond for the next 6-10 months really…

spacemonkey

Our little boy is due next week and I'll be taking two weeks pat leave.

Fortunately my boss is paying me full salary and also offering me another two weeks at the same later in the year – but the company do owe me a few bob from outstanding commissions and this is one way of contributing.

Not sure how I would approach it if I was only going to receive statutory because I work from home pretty much 4 days in 5 so I'd be able to shift some of my pattern around the little fella anyway. I must say that knowing I'll get the extra money does make it a no-brainer though.

GrahamS

There does seem to be a certain institutional sexism when it comes to baby leave.

Men get two weeks statutory at £109 a week, and if they are lucky they might get a few days of full pay at the discretion of their employer.

Women get, as statutory, 6 weeks at 90% pay and 33 weeks at £124 a month. It's not unusual for them to get more than that (MrsGrahamS is taking a full year).

Now obviously there are very good reasons that women need that long (recovery and breastfeeding being the most obvious).

I'm not arguing they should get less. But I still can't help feeling that men get a little hard done by in this arrangement.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Took 6 days off as holiday as i couldn't afford the derisory rate that paternity leave pays!
    And my bitch manager tried to tell me that she couldn't spare me for 6 days, could i take 3 days and have the rest later?
    Told her politely no and then went over her head straight to the MD and told him no too. He was fine about it.
    Not much gets me that wound up, but that worked!

joemarshall
    Free Member

I'm not arguing they should get less. But I still can't help feeling that men get a little hard done by in this arrangement.

Conservative, Lib Dem and Labour manifestos all had commitments to allow people to swap some of their maternity leave over to the other parent. I dunno how that is going to work but I imagine it might happen in the end.

Joe

miketually
    Free Member

There was talk of making the leave transferable between parents.

D0NK

There was talk of making the leave transferable between parents.

Yep they should decide on an amount of time and make it available to either so both can take 4.5month or 6/3 or whatever. You might end up making it easier for women of child bearing age to get a decent job too – i think there's still a lot of "nope not having her she'll be wanting kids soon, think of all the maternity" goes on.

Told work I was in hospital and told the missus I was at work.

Hora you sneaky get, I'd have gotten a major ass kicking of the Mrs if I tried that. Could be classed as pretty major deception, considering the circumstances.

joemarshall
    Free Member
    GrahamS

Good news indeed joe.

paule
    Free Member

I'll be taking mine, and then possibly a week or 2 unpaid – I'm a teacher, and the school will have to pay for supply cover, so I guess that's reasonable. It does seem incredibly skewed towards maternity rather than paternity. I can entirely see that my partner will need the time off, but the new rules (assuming that they actually take place) sound a fairer idea.

joemarshall
    Free Member

It does seem incredibly skewed towards maternity rather than paternity. I can entirely see that my partner will need the time off, but the new rules (assuming that they actually take place) sound a fairer idea.

To be fair though, assuming breastfeeding, looking after a baby is massively skewed towards the mother also, for at least the first few months. Especially if you have a somewhat unpredictable and 'very alert'* baby like we have.

Joe
    * for 'very alert' read 'basically awake all the night and day for the first few weeks'

ross980
    Free Member

Just back from 2 weeks paternity leave – fortunately on full pay. Those 2 weeks were a total crazy sleep deprived blur, but I wouldn't have wanted to miss them for anything. It is a shame that some people are unable to take them.

Nonsense
    Free Member

I'm on paternity leave now. My son was born 2 days ago and I plan to take 2 or 3 weeks hopefully. Can't afford the statutory pay though. Mum and Baby are doing great.

tomlevell

No.
    Although 2 week shutdown at Xmas meant I was off for 4 weeks (all holidays) I was in and out of work the first 2 weeks.
    Day after birth I was sat at home drumming my fingers on the table and too knackered to go for a ride so I did some work.
    I'm not some workaholic monster but there wasn't much to do as the house was tidy and food ready and baby asleep.
    It all depends on the baby if your going to be useful or not. Most sleep during the day for the first few weeks as that's what they did in the womb.

GrahamS

Those 2 weeks were a
    total crazy sleep deprived blur,

Another good reason new dads shouldn't go straight back to work: rush hour traffic is dangerous enough for those who have had more than one hours sleep and they'll be **** all use once they get to the office anyway.

We had a rough time with our little angel in the first months. I fell asleep at my desk several times and managed to scrape my car along a pillar in the car park.

midlifecrashes

Me and mrsmidlife both self employed by time first arrived.

yetidave
    Free Member

two weeks taken this time round. First time round, only took one week, and spent most of that looking at our baby not sure what to do with it, second time spent most of the time out playing with bikes with the first one.

lagerfanny
    Free Member

Paternity Leave – did you take yours?

Too bloody right I did. The full two weeks immediately followed by two weeks holiday, fantastic to be able to spend that time with my family!

About 3 weeks into the leave my then gaffer & another colleague visited to see our newborn and proudly exclaimed he'd done **** all (while I'd been off)and had left me loads to do on my return!

Oh, by the way he really had too and moved my office 17 miles 😯
    stuck it out another couple of months then returned to my old job.

orena45

Didn't take paternity leave as I'd just changed employers and didn't think I was entitled (in retrospect I should've taken the first week, but wouldn't have been able to afford the second week). Anyway I took 2 weeks of my annual leave so didn't miss out.

DickBarton

I did…took the full 2 weeks then was back at work for 2 and off again for another 2 as a pre-agreed summer holiday…worked a treat for me…

tiger_roach
    Free Member

orena45 – you might not have been allowed it:

To qualify for Statutory Paternity Leave, you must have been with your employer for at least 26 weeks by the end of the 15th week before the start of the week when the baby is due.

You must give your employer notice in, or before, the 15th week before the week the child is due.

GW
    Free Member

With my first I just never bothered going back to work.

orena45

Tigerroach – I work in local government and had just changed from one council to another and like you say I thought those rules would apply hence I wouldn't be eligible. However afterwards I think continuous service might have meant I was actually eligible so could've taken at least the week, d'oh!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Paternity Leave – did you take yours?’ is closed to new replies.