Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Paternity leave and rotas advice rqd.
  • carbon337
    Free Member

Im on paternity leave for 2 weeks – Im normally on call for 1 week in 5 and get paid extra for this on top of salary.

My manager is saying becuase im on Paternity leave and missing a week on the rota I will need to do 2 in 5 once im back. My asumption was that this wasnt the case and Im entitled to any additional regullar allowances even though I wont be there to do on call.

Taken from our company intranet:
    “Paternity Leave consists of two weeks at basic pay rate, plus any regular allowances during this period”

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Speak to his manager. Sounds like he’s trying to get blood out of a stone, or to apease one of your colleagues who will be covering you whilst you are on pat leave (“I’ll do his week if he does one of mine” kind of narrow minded approach, rather than a pay it back approach).

carbon337
    Free Member

The question is do i need to do this week at all though?

In other words imo I dont need to do it either as payback or a swap.

Junkyard
    Free Member

How can you be paid for being on call if you are not on call? Perhaps you could just stop working there and still get paid?
    It will be in your contract or T & C I suspect the answer will be yes – what happens if you take a holiday during your on cll period do you need to make this up?

carbon337
    Free Member

In the same way you get paid for being at work when you not – the statement says – you get any regullar allowances during this time.

We swap around for holidays – im also not going back to work full time for 6 weeks after PL ends due to not used up holiday. So its going to get tricky arranging a weeks on call since im not at work properly for 8 weeks.

Just wondering if anyone else had similar experiences?

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

I don’t know if your company can make you do the week on call, as I said there is an element of pay it back to someone as whilst you are off someone is covering you, and will have worked a 2 in 5.
    What would usually happen if you took a weeks annual leave that meant you needed to move a week on call, maybe a precedent has been set previously?

uplink
    Free Member

In the same way you get paid for being at work when you not – the statement says – you get any regullar allowances during this time.

I can’t see how you’d class on-call as a regular allowance, it’s more like regular over-time

I’d take allowance to mean car, fuel etc.

Junkyard
    Free Member

depends what the term regular allowance means I get paid fire marshall on paternity/hols but not for on call as this is an additional allowance paid for being on call. Suspect it will be as they say unless they are incompetent in wrting their own T & C.

anagallis_arvensis

Im on paternity leave for 2 weeks

me too, great aint it 😀

allthepies
    Free Member

I get paid fire marshall on paternity/hols but not for on call as this is an additional allowance paid for being on call.

Paid fire marshall! WTF. This must be in the public sector 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Paternity leave and rotas advice rqd.’ is closed to new replies.