Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • Paterdale or Border Terrier
  • Nobby

Hora – email me & I’ll send you Sean Frain’s book on PD’s if you’re interested.

nedrapier

Nobby,

Pretty sure it was the Dabbling Duck in Great Massingham, December 2010. What do you reckon?

We left the car there and did a big, long, winter’s day walk up Peddars Way and back. Blue skies, crisp and clear, wrapped up warm, got back after dark, pint in front of the fire in the pub. Corker of a day!

binners

Nobby

Pretty sure it was the Dabbling Duck in Great Massingham, December 2010.

Possibly, but ours came from a farm about Southrepps where the fella has bred ’em for years (since bringing ’em down from Cumbria). A few of the local hostelries have one these days.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

the-muffin-man – Member
    Our Border is great with kids but they can get very excitable when you’ve been away from them – even for 5 minutes to the shops! – which may not be a good trait if your son is nervous around dogs.

But if it’s from a pup it can be trained not to jump when you come home, ours loves kids

the-muffin-man – Member
    He has small dog syndrome as well, and can be aggressive to bigger dogs if you don’t keep him in check

Seconded, especially to Staffies or any other dog that will rip his head off.

And Archie loves water and the sea

Drac

Ours hates swimming and only goes up to his chest, he does love jumping waves with the kids though.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

But if it’s from a pup it can be trained not to jump when you come home

😆

Reminds me with Molly…she sits on her bum and sort of taps her feet with excitement. She does fail sometimes and ends up jumping – thankfully, not with strangers. Her excitement last night after not seeing me for two weeks made my heart swell a little when I got home. 😳

She flipping hates swimming too. 😐

tonyg2003

Our two old Borders are chalk and cheese (well Esme and Jezibel). One was fiesty enough to face up to anything that moved (bullock in a field memorably once) and the other would run off from most dogs. It depends what you get.

We’ve had cats for years without a problem. Now got two manic 5month old British Shorthair kittens running around and no issues.

deviant
    Free Member

My dog is Patterdale crossed with jack Russell….hilarious dog, all the energy of a Jack with the Patterdale just taking the edge off the snappiness….but as others have said, Patterdales are equally as tenacious if the mood takes them, he once spent all day…yes all flipping day…digging a rat out from under the shed in the garden…wouldnt come in for food, just totally focused on the task in hand, got the rat in the end the little minx!

Nice size too, bigger than a Jack but smaller than a Lab, black with white chest and paws, stunning….i’d happily have another, luckily a breeder near us specifically crosses these two dogs for this end result.

Nobby

The “Patterjack” is becoming increasingly common round here too.

Edit: If anyone ever comes up with a “patterdoodle” I may have to murder them to death.

nickhart
    Free Member

where are you hora? we’re in sheffield and love our border. he’s bonkers and brilliant with kids, if you’re local i wouldn’t mind meeting up and your son could meet him.
    it’s all in the training. the coat on ours doesn’t strip like a normal border and he’s a full pedigree with history coming out of his ar*e but hey he’s full of character and fit as a fit thing.

Drac

He’s a black and tan they have different coats to weaten and red grizzles.

Pook

a month ago you were worrying about being out of a job. don’t get a dog.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

a month ago you were worrying about being out of a job. don’t get a dog.

Why not?

Surly being at home all day can only be a good thing…. 😉

hora
    Free Member

Pook youll realise one day that near on a grand comes out of your pocket every month when you have a kid in nursery 😉

anagallis_arvensis

Hora forgive me if I get this wrong and accepting I cannot be arsed to read the whole thread etc. But are you not the guy who had a wastie and found it too terrier like? Now your thinking of patterdales or borders!!

hora
    Free Member

Read further up ^

anagallis_arvensis

Ok. I have read the entire thread and still think you should not get another terrier, especially a border or a pat as they are all much closer to working dogs than most other terriers. Get a lab or a lurcher but not a ver terrier like terrier.

Nobby

Oh, I forgot to mention, she loves to travel by steam train 🙂

[/url] Tilly by stumpyxtr, on Flickr[/img]

Pook

Hora – so what are you doing with Zach while you spend on dog food?

liam1974

My patterjack Tilly after a hard day.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Paterdale 1 vs Border 1 so your call, personally I would have a patter.
    But have nearly inherited a greyhound so this will be fun, never even contemplated having a dog seriously as I have grown up round pooty cats.

So this will definitely be intersting.

hora
    Free Member

Ive obly ever been bitten by 3 dogs, two were Westies and one a Corgie. Westies arnt fond of small children. Oook have you calculated how much pook jnr will cost you? If you use a nursery I bet it 1,500 a month all in with food and nappies etc? 😉

stufive
    Free Member

Borders are better looking/cuter IMO i want one but mrs five says no (we already have a black lab BTW) 🙂

Del

Ive obly ever been bitten by 3 dogs, two were Westies and one a Corgie

it’s true that they can be very shrewd judges of character. 😆

philconsequence
    Free Member

dig you get a dog then?

surfer
    Free Member

Someone mention Lakeland!

hora
    Free Member

dig you get a dog then?

I dig ya dude..no not yet. This is a careful and measured exercise not a doggie for Christmas or ‘just 7yrs
    😛 I’m still working my way through a book on Paterdales that a kind STW’er lent me 🙂

philconsequence
    Free Member

good good 🙂 good book?

hora
    Free Member

Awesome dude but there was no chocolate present with the book 🙂

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Our BT gets stripped twice a year as a rule. She’s a lazy little madam and pretends to want to go out when she really prefers staying in the warm and dry. Would maybe get a P’Dale next for a change.

philconsequence
    Free Member

stripped? whats wrong with a beard trimmer then a quick spin in the washing machine?

hora
    Free Member

Awesome dude but there was no chocolate present with the book

Considering the subject…’chocolate present’ could mean 😯

Ben_mw

Patterdale and a Border. Patterdale is mine, Border is my parent’s.
    The Border is getting a little old, fat and cranky, not to be trusted around my 18 month old daughter at all.
    My Patterdale however loves my little girl, mainly down to getting fed from the table, and (some rather poor efforts at) throwing a ball for her. She’s a tough little wotsit as well – she managed to get herself poisoned 10 days ago, and all the staff at the vets were rather amazed she lived through the first night, yet you’d never know she’d been ill to look at her today! Top dogs all round.

philconsequence
    Free Member

how much is pet insurance for this size dog?

Simwit

Simwits Mrs here! We have an 8 year old Patti who we adopted from rescue in July, he is a grand little chap!
    He does have issues with his energy levels and he has to be managed carefully when playing and around strangers, kids and definitely footballs, he’s not known as the piranha on legs for no reason. There are a lot of Patties in rescue as many people don’t realise how terrier like they are, and find them difficult to manage. They are not all good around other dogs or kids and do have a wicked prey drive.
    That said Toby is very smart and easy to train, has a super fun personality, loves cuddles, digs the garden on command and loves being in the house, he also loves a cuppa so we’re having to remember not to leave them at nose level!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The only Patterdale I know well is a right little bastard and to be muzzled in public! And what’s his bloody name?!? DARCY!! 😆 Having said that, I’ve met plenty other lovely ones.

trawler
    Free Member

Got a Border/lakeland cross.
    Good in the woods,at home,and at sea.

Nobby

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eS-LvhRfps&feature=youtu.be[/video]

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

How about a Red Fell? Biggest little dogs around! This is Louis; Scared of nuffin, yet the gentlset dog around children. Up for anything, wants to know whats going on and needs to be a part of it. Just like an old fashioned Border. Trouble is, Borders are, lie Westies, becoming a victim of their own popularity. Lazy breeding means that some are losing their character and toughness. Patterdales don’t suffer from that… yet.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Paterdale or Border Terrier’ is closed to new replies.