Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Patents and IP rights etc…
  • psychle
    Free Member

Say you had (what you thought may be) a very good idea (let's say it's a new tool for making a relatively common MTB task easier/quicker). You've done some initial sketchs and descriptions of the concept but that's it thus far… what's the next step? I'm guessing making a working model? How would you go about getting the necessary assistance without giving away your ability to lodge a patent or lose your IP rights (eg. by someone 'stealing' your idea and claiming it as their own?)

cheers 8)

cynic-al
    Free Member

Make it yourself. Apply for patent.

Flaperon

Patenting is time-consuming and ludicrously expensive. There are lots (and lots, and lots) of caveats and gotchas, and your patent is only valid in one part of the world, or even just one country.

You can (although it's not guaranteed to stand up in legal action or whatever), post the drawings to yourself in a sealed envelope with the postmark clearly visible, or lodge them at a solicitor's office or something. More trouble than it's worth, if you ask me.

Your local university probably runs seminars dealing with how to do this.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    psychle
    Free Member

not sure I have the know-how to make it myself… or, if I did bodge something together I wouldn't know if it was actually going to work in practice (physics/engineering considerations like force etc…)

iDave
    Free Member

have them sign a non-disclosure agreement – its pretty standard. preferably have different people work on different components. Mert Lawill who designed a lot of MTB suspension systems never took out a patent until he'd signed a licensing deal – its an expensive route to go down.

also consider if its best getting to market first, best, cheapest and let the competition worry about patents. they can pay their lawyers more than you can pay yours probably……

you have to have a working prototype before anyone in the industry will want to talk to you and even then its a long battle. I know great IP lawyer in Mumbai who is 1/5th the cost of UK agents….

IanMunro
    Free Member

First off, unless you've got money to pay for patent lawyers to protect your patent then forget about patents.
    If you want a working model go to an engineering company to make a prototype, get them to sign an NDA if your concerned. Then get it mass produced and get your companies name associated with the product.
    At the risk of sounding cynical the world is full of people who think they have bright ideas worth patenting, but unless you actually already have a manufacturing business or are prepared to risk all your existing equity in creating one they are rarely worth following. Also bear in mind, that companies like to own IP, so if you are thinking of patenting some new gadget and expecting a company to pay to use the IP, forget it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

That user name makes you look stupid. and I know my stupid.

psychle
    Free Member

OK, so patenting is silly expensive, scratch that (I'm poor, trying to get richer 🙂 ) So… I need to make a model of my tool, then go see an engineering type chap to work out if it'd actually work in real life… sound like a plan?

psychle
    Free Member

I need to make a model of my tool, then go see an engineering type chap to work out if it'd actually work in real life

😆 snigger 😆

fettling
    Free Member

NDA is the best route here, drop me a mail and I can send you a pdf that tells you all about NDAs and even has a sample one that just needs the blanks filling in.

I am an Industrial Designer by trade BTW. Looking to start up on my own after 10 years industry experience. I need to develop a few products for my portfolio as all the stuff I have been working on for the last few years is medical and top secret…. So if you want to pick my brains about how to take the idea forward I am more than happy to sign an NDA and meet up to chat.

Based in Farnborough BTW so if you race any of the Gorricks….

fettling
    Free Member

oh, email address is just dave@ then insert the domain listed under my profile.

psychle
    Free Member

champion 🙂 shall drop you a message to discuss further…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Patents and IP rights etc…’ is closed to new replies.