Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Patchwork quilt roads. Is anyone held accountable for poor repairs?
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

On my ride this morning I was amazed at how many terrible repairs had been made to the road surface by utility companies. A great many of them had sunk or they had not sealed the edges and water had seeped underneath …

Curious as to whether highways fine the companies or whether they can be called back to make good the bodged work they do?

dantsw13

There is a patch of road in my village with repair on repair on repair. In about 30 yes there must be well over a hundred repair patches, all really badly done. The Sussex repair strategy seems to be pour in some tarmac and tap it down with a boot.

ssboggy

Local authorities are responsible for making sure the utility companies carry out the reinstatements properly, link here to all the relevant information.
    The reinstatements can be core sampled and checked for correct thickness and compaction and if they don’t meet the relevant specifications for the type of road should be made to do it again and stand to all the testing costs.
    Unfortunately lots of local authorities don’t see this as a priority

redthunder
    Free Member

My mash up of our shitty roadworks:)

https://youtu.be/_xODNCqyHmk
    [video]https://youtu.be/_xODNCqyHmk[/video]

Stoner
    Free Member

LOL @ RT

flanagaj
    Free Member

My mash up of our shitty roadworks:)

Haha. Very funny

milky1980
    Free Member

I know Powys County Council used to be very good at this. If you reported a poor repair they would get the utility company responsible to repair it but they had to use the Council’s workers to ensure it was done properly this time. This basically meant for example that if BT dug a trench down one lane of a road and the surface failed within 12 months then BT had to pay Powys workmen to resurface the whole length of that lane affected! It meant the roads had very few patchwork surfaces, just the join between surfaces every 100m or so. Sadly the budget cuts in the last few years mean the team that went out looking at repairs was disbanded so it’s slowly getting worse.

flanagaj
    Free Member

Sadly the budget cuts in the last few years mean the team that went out looking at repairs was disbanded so it’s slowly getting worse.

Sounds about right.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Patchwork quilt roads. Is anyone held accountable for poor repairs?’ is closed to new replies.