Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Patched Tyres
  • bubs

Has anyone successfully patched a tyre and then kept using it (rather than just an emergency fix to see the day out)?
    I tore a tyre on its first outing and don’t really want to bin it if possible. The glue and cut out from an old tyre method looks promising but I am not sure how durable the end result is.

D0NK

I’ve had 2 minions get a big tear within their first few rides, patched em up inside and out with large innertube patches and both are still running, one is 6 months old, other is 2 or 3 years old, no more tears so must have just been unlucky – twice. Both are tubed setup, have patched tubeless aswell just not with quite as large tears.

everyone
    Free Member

Yep I’m using a ron and a ralph that I put holes in. Patched them with the big inner tube patches. They’re still running tubeless as well *touches wood*

rudedog
    Free Member

I successfully patched a sidewall tear in a crossmark using a car tyre patch (which are reinforced so don’t stretch).

Onzadog
    Free Member

Yep, tubeless tyres with car plug patches.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Sticky worms have done me proud. Really didn’t think they’d work.

Worth giving a repair a go, just be prepared for it to not work out for the next few rides.

cookeaa

Not actually tried a worm yet, patched a specialized tyre 8 months ago inside and out using weldtite patches, bits of chopped up old inner tube, and superglue, its still going fine…

chakaping
    Free Member

Motorbike tyre patches off ebay and tubeless repair “anchovies” both work for me and last well.

I use normal puncture repair adhesive to glue the motorbike patches to the inside of the tyre.

Cuts near the bead are tricky for tubeless though.

It’s very satisfying keeping a damaged tyre going, especially considering the price of a new Minion in 3c EXO version!

martinhutch

This place is great. Tore a Ron yesterday and just came on here to look for answers to this!

eviljoe
    Free Member

Stitch it up with (unused) dental floss first, then big patch over the top, works a treat 🙂

stimpy
    Free Member

Love the specification of unused dental floss 😆

Agree, have use this method a few times before.

bubs

Brilliant – I’ll try glue and patches before going down the dental floss route (the dentist always complains that I don’t use dental floss when advised).

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Have patched a couple of Maxxis LUST tyres down by the bead with just normal (but the thicker ones) puncture patches. They lasted till they wore out.
    Have used dynema kite cord on bigger holes at the tread, with a big patch behind. Again, happy days!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Patched Tyres’ is closed to new replies.