Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 149 total)
  • Pasta
  • mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Chips.

Perplexed this has made 3 pages.

Unless folk are playing devil’s advocate. Nobody really prefers pasta. Obvs.

DrP

So, are will all agreed, it’s spuds AND bread?

I wondered why most of the jerseys for sale in the classifieds were XXXXL 😉

DrP

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

on the way back from the pub, you nip in the chippy and order steak pudding, chips peas and gravy, then back at home, half way through it, sat on the sofa, you drift off into a Stella-aided food coma.

I did once order 3 pizzas from the nearest open delivery merchant whilst “a bit” drunk and only managed 2 before succumbing to unconsciousness.

I’ve never left chips. They never even made it back home in the first place.

binners

Braaahn (Brun, for the BMW owners) bread is even more delicious than white bread.

I just don’t know who you are any more

That’s as maybe (it’s not!), but braaaaahn bread has no place in the company of chips. The role of bread in a chip butty is to act as a sponge, soaking up the flavour from its contents. (see also: sausage or bacon) and should be smothered with copious amounts of melting butter

Brown bread is for people who pretend they like Rocket so as to appear middle class. It’s an affectation

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Your scenario is wrong and contrived binners, chips will be consumed on the way home, it’s like the 11th commandant or something.

Even if i couldn’t eat them all, someone would, unless i was drinking and therefore eating alone. And you don’t go out to drink alone, that’s also one of those things.

Edit you are right about the bread though, if the bread is already brown how can you see if it’s absorbed enough vinegar?

binners

Fair point. I’m wondering if I may have dreamt this whole cold chips scenario

Cold pizza for breakfast is something you factor in when deciding the size of the pizza you’re drunkenly ordering (14″ with cheesy chips obviously)

BFITH
    Free Member

Cold pizza for breakfast is something you factor in when deciding the size of the pizza you’re drunkenly ordering (14″ obviously)

My boy does this at 16 years old! (not the drunk part though)

RustySpanner

Sorry, always been a Hovis man.

Warbies now and again in work, toasted, Lurpak obviously, but I can take it or leave it, tbh.

I met Joe Gladwyn outside Church as a small boy.
    He was all I imagined and more, I’d hate to let him down now.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Lurpak?

What is this? Its sure as heck not butter! Why not just use stork?

RustySpanner

Margerine?
    Fauxletariat Toynbeeite toss.
    A retro affectation, akin to lino and not washing properly.

nedrapier

Late to the party, but

A pasta sandwich would be rubbish, lasagne wouldn’t work at all with chips.

Lasagna is a sandwich, isn’t it? A laminate at the very least.

The second point is incorrect.

tomhoward

Hold on, are some of you sat at your dinner tables with a bowl of pasta? Like, just pasta, no sauce or nuffink, thinking ‘well, this is a bit dull, wish I had chips…’

No bloody wonder, the pasta is merely a vessel by which to deliver sauce with a bit of texture. Do all you pasta haters make a load of sauce, eat that and think ‘well that was tasty but I’m not very full, glad I didn’t add all that rank pasta though.

If you think pasta is crap, up your sauce game.

DezB
    Free Member

Am I not allowed to like Rocket? I even grew my own earlier this year.
    It was nice with my… oh, erm, this is the problem isn’t it? my.. salads.
    Sorry.

DezB
    Free Member

tomhoward – I think you missed “You have to add so many other things to pasta just to make it not taste like, well, pasta.” on pg 1.

tomhoward

But isn’t that the whole point of pasta/any starchy staple food, they only taste of what you add to or cook them in?

RustySpanner

No one hates pasta, just like no one hates the Lib Dems.

It’s just that when faced with the cupboard or the polling booth, more interesting alternatives often present themselves.
    People often lie in polls like these, ashamed of their true thoughts and intentions.

perchypanther
    Free Member

You’re on the way back from the pub, you nip in the chippy and order steak pudding, chips peas and gravy, then back at home, half way through it, sat on the sofa, you drift off into a Stella-aided food coma.

Still not man enough for a 16″ Munchy Box, I see.

failedengineer

I used to visit a company in Northern Italy where everyone went to the (very good) works canteen for lunch. I noticed a good proportion of the staff had plain pasta with olive oil and black pepper with a side salad of a few leaves with oil and vinegar. I tried it. Once.

Cougar

I wondered why most of the jerseys for sale in the classifieds were XXXXL

Large Jerseys could well make good chips.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

nedrapier – Member
    Late to the party, but

A pasta sandwich would be rubbish, lasagne wouldn’t work at all with chips.

The second point is incorrect.

A) lasagne is no more a sandwich than a Victoria sponge is. Yes they have things layered, maybe even “sandwiched” but they’re not sandwiches.

B) see Cougar’s earlier clarification. If you made lasagne using chips in place of pasta, by the time it was cooked you’d really have something closer to corned beef hash.

binners

But isn’t that the whole point of pasta/any starchy staple food, they only taste of what you add to or cook them in?

NO! Think of a sample of foods. really nice foods that you love…

Now add the words ‘….and chips’

Already things have massively improved. Give it a go

Pie
    Fish
    Burger
    Sausage
    Egg
    Gammon
    Steak
    Mushy Peas
    Steak pudding and gravy
    Even Chips

Now try that with pasta.

Doesn’t work, does it? In fact, in most cases, it would be a crime against humanity, that would rightfully get you a shoeing

If you want sauce, have some ketchup

binners

Still not man enough for a 16″ Munchy Box, I see.

If only such things were available to me PP. Its alright for you. You live in fried food nirvana

theotherjonv

Never thought of it like that but it’s true. So that effectively makes lasagne engineered minced beef.

If you made lasagne using chips in place of pasta, by the time it was cooked you’d really have something closer to corned beef hash.

How poor are you? Using corned beef in lasagne, instead of ground steak mince?

(actually, sounds quite nice. I’ve done haggis lasagne before, with this I’ve just broadened my repertoire. But I’ll call it corned beef laminate in honour of the STW inventors)

tomhoward

Always the bridesmaid never the bride though binners. In pasta dishes, the pasta and even the specific type of pasta is integral to the dish itself.

As for just chips on their own, they have to be fried in dripping, and have salt and vinegar on to be worth eating. Unless you like tucking in to naked oven chips? If so then you need help.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

What’s in a 16″ Munchy Box?

I’m only given one dimension and a hint of its tastiness to work with.

My boy does this at 16 years old! (not the drunk part though)

It’s not like it were when I were a lad. 16 would mean have meant Strongbow or (God no, the horror) Thunderbird. Or possibly a couple of pints in the pub opposite the police station (keep them where you can see them, I believe the thinking was).

aracer
    Free Member

You can’t make a chip pie

I rest my case

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

As for just chips on their own, they have to be fried in dripping, and have salt and vinegar on to be worth eating. Unless you like tucking in to naked oven chips? If so then you need help

Oven chips are a means to an end when things are desperate.

But chips, actual chips, real proper chips, are deep fried in animal fat. Anything else isn’t proper chips. They’re sadly difficult to find nowadays.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member
    benp1

The thing is there are chips and there are chips

I’m not talking about poncy flavouring like peri peri or truffle

I mean fat chip shop chips and thinner fries. Both have their place. The worst crime is when they’re not well done, just anaemic undercooked pieces of potato – it’s not hard is it, if in doubt leave it in the fryer for an extra minute

tomhoward

The sandwich shop near my work makes lasagne pies, they’re lush.

binners

Congratulations! You’ve achieved the impossible

You’ve produced a pie that I am absolutely repelled by. We’re in unchartered waters here. I feel lost, confused and scared! 😥

plumber
    Free Member

Cant remember the last time I had chips

Really no point when you are in the south….

Its a gastronomic desert

sbob
    Free Member

binners – Member

Congratulations! You’ve achieved the impossible

You’ve produced a pie that I am absolutely repelled by. We’re in unchartered waters here. I feel lost, confused and scared!

Fear not young binners; that “pie” is vegan, so doesn’t even register as food.

tomhoward

The lasagne pie I get isn’t though. Well, the cows it’s made from might have been, but it’s still got bechamel sauce on top.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

aracer – Member
    You can’t make a chip pie

At least if you did it wouldn’t look like a cross section of the waste bag from a colectomy clinic.

aracer
    Free Member

😆 – now that’s what I call a result!

theotherjonv

artisan corned beef.

I feel that would be wasted in a laminate, to be fair. I was thinking more

£1.50, for lips, tits and arseholes in a strange yellow matrix.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I feel that would be wasted in a laminate, to be fair.

So long as you only use a suitably shaped staub dish, you may be ok.

perchypanther
    Free Member

What’s in a 16″ Munchy Box?

I’m only given one dimension and a hint of its tastiness to work with.

All other post-boozer delights fall short of the munchy box…….

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/whats-the-best-crap-food/page/3#post-7902578

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I still don’t know what’s in it. I’m assuming you provided a photo as nor do you?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 149 total)

The topic ‘Pasta’ is closed to new replies.