Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Passport Expiration Date
  • jakd95
    Free Member

I’m travelling to Berlin for the New Year (29th Dec to 3rd Jan) but my passport is only valid until 19th Jan. Will this be an issue? I know some countries require 6 months left until expiration but as it’s within the European Union it ought to be okay? Is it worth renewing it now, I just don’t want to risk not having a passport at all..

40mpg

Took my daughter to France last year on an expired passport (3 months out of date). Easy to get out of UK and into France, but got a bit of a ticking off by UK control coming home! (Only realised it had expired the night before going).

If you’re going by land it probably won’t even be checked until you come home, if by air they might pester but, hey, its still valid.

sandwicheater

Think it takes about 3 week normally to get a renewal and that’s not over the Christmas period so you may not have much choice but to just go and cross your fingers.

Drac

No it’ll be fine I went to Fuerteventura with a passport due to expire a few days after we came back, they were fine with it mainly because it was only checked on the way out and the way back.

aracer
    Free Member

I really can’t believe it will be a problem within the EU.

jam-bo

I would, went to the us a while back with a couple of weeks left on it a while back. It was commented on by the us immigration officer but I was only there for two days so no issue.

I wouldn’t think twice about going within the eu. You’re more likely to have no passport at all if you try and renew now.

headfirst
    Free Member

Sent off my daughter’s passport renewal application last Monday using Post Office Check and Send service, and the new passport arrived on Friday!! Very impressed. They do say up to 3 weeks though.

jon1973
    Free Member

Think it takes about 3 week normally to get a renewal and that’s not over the Christmas period so you may not have much choice but to just go and cross your fingers.

He’s travelling in the EU and returning with the passport still in date for a couple of weeks. Theres no need to keep anything crossed.

gonefishin
    Free Member

What jon said. The fco.gov.uk website will have all the information that you need if you want to check the official guidance but I’d be amazed if it was a problem. I’m off to Canada with only a few additional weeks on my passport and that not a problem.

jakd95
    Free Member

Thanks, I’m sure it’ll be fine then. I didn’t want to apply for a new one and then end up with nothing because I imagine it takes quite a while after Christmas. Cheers

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Passport Expiration Date’ is closed to new replies.