Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 124 total)
  • Passive-aggressive notes
  • GrahamS

However I don’t pavement park..

Had I not parked on the pavement I would have been the only car, on either side of the road, not to have done so. I would have stuck out and inconvenienced the traffic (including bikes!)

…and I don’t believe my convenience trumps everyone else’s.

Neither do I, but I believe in a bit of “live and let live” and giving people a little slack. 😛

Let me ask you this TJ: if you were completely frazzled having been up since 5am with a distressed one year old and you showed up at the church in a blind panic at 10:28 for a service that starts at 10:30 – would you cycle around for another ten minutes looking for a suitable designated double-length bicycle parking facility? Or would you chain your trusty tandem to the nearest railings and run inside, knowing that the jutting handlebars may cause some pedestrians the inconvenience of sidestepping ever so slightly as they went about their day?

If the answer is the former then how about if the railings already had a dozen other bikes chained to them with just one tandem-sized space left?

molgrips
    Free Member

To be honest if it were me I’d not have worried much about missing the first few mins of the ceremony 🙂

philconsequence
    Free Member

why not just park at TJ’s house then get him to ride you to church on the back of his tandem? problem solved

convert

I think a word of congratulation needs to be passed to the writer of this quickly scribbled note that it has generated 82 (now 83) missives on a random mountain bike website. Impressive return. I also think the addition of an off the wall “leave no rubbish” sign off to confuse the recipient shows creative largess.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Somebody shoot me!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The Southern Yeti – Member

Somebody shoot me!

Did you park on the pavement?

*BANG*

konabunny
    Free Member

Had I not parked on the pavement I would have been the only car, on either side of the road, not to have done so.

How come only you got the note, then?

philconsequence
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl

Lol at this thread. 😆

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Did you park on the pavement jump that red light?

*BANG*
    FIFY (again)

D0NK

As MG says little things can mess up peoples day. The note writer may be a knob making a big fuss over nowt or he could have been seriously inconvenienced by the OP I dunno but parking on the pavement is a no no, parking on the pavement to leave room for a car (or bus) to pass because someone else is parked opposite is no excuse, just don’t park there at all. I saw plenty of pavement parking so used to think it wasn’t a big deal then someone pointed out to me what a PITA it is for people.

One person parks with wheels just on pavement to allow road use the next person takes their cue from them but has a big SUV so has to park fully on the pavement blocking it completely. We need to set a limit somewhere, so where do we draw the line? how about no wheels on the pavement at all?

Last week lovely weather, road passed the local park, double parked cars everywhere, both pavements impassable to anyone other than able bodied people (and slim people at that!) Lot’s of people don’t give a shit where they park but as soon as you start having a go it seems every driver feels threatened so tells you to “chill, it’s no big deal”

GrahamS

How come only you got the note, then?

Mates in the car in front also got one – which makes sense as I lined up with their parking. Not sure if the phantom-noter went round everyone or just the “outsider’s” cars.

Cougar

Both sides of the argument considered,

I think I’d have more sympathy if they’d written “please do not block the pavement, you weren’t to know but this causes a problem for our wheelchair-bound residents” or some such, rather than the patronising ‘bloody tourists, why don’t you all just piss off’ note that they actually left.

There’s nothing to indicate that anyone was actually inconvenienced at all, it’s just a nothing-better-to-complain-about whinge, so plums to ’em.

wwaswas

Mates in the car in front also got one

Is there some other forum that your mate frequents where similar arguments are raging?

Does the person who left these notes realise the ripples of acrimony throughout the country that their action has had?

clubber
    Free Member

No other forum has the likes of TJ.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

If the OP had parked even slightly on a cycle lane/path, you lot would be sharpening the pitchforks and lighting the bonfire….

And if it had bin outside YOUR house, you’d’ve written a Strongly Worded Letter to the Daily Mail by now.

philconsequence
    Free Member

by parking on the pavement you’ve raised the height of the front of your car to that of a KIDS FACE!

i’d rather share this country with roadies than monsters like you!

GrahamS

I saw plenty of pavement parking so used to think it wasn’t a big deal then someone pointed out to me what a PITA it is for people.

We’ve got a baby in a pram and until very recently had a 98 year old great grandmother to cart around in a mobility scooter – so I did check that there was a reasonable amount of room left on the pavement.

I guess my definition of reasonable may be narrower than others though.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Clubber – I know a lot worse 🙂 I ventured onto another forum teh other day where the flame wars made this place look like nothing

You do realise I am the reasonable non argumentative one of my family.

clubber
    Free Member

At the risk of Godwins, that’s like saying that Goebbels was alright, really… 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

wunhundred!

Edit – dang too late.

ski
    Free Member

opps!

BikePawl
    Free Member

You do realise I am the reasonable non argumentative one of my family.

But we only have your word for that, having met the rest of your family I’d disagree.

GrahamS

@Cougar: yeah pretty much my feelings entirely. If they had written a civil note I would have felt suitably ashamed and chastised. I knew it wasn’t perfect parking and they’d be perfectly right to challenge me.

But instead the unprovoked “leave no rubish” and the insular “you ain’t from around here are you boy?” allowed me to dismiss them as nimby nobends with a clear(ish) conscience.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member
    If the OP had parked even slightly on a cycle lane/path, you lot would be sharpening the pitchforks and lighting the bonfire….

And if it had bin outside YOUR house, you’d’ve written a Strongly Worded Letter to the Daily Mail by now.

I dread to think what would have happened if they’d parked near your gaff…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Were you late for a wine-tasting event….?

…oh no, sorry, just read the OP, it was a christening. Not worth the hassle TBH. If it had been a wine-tasting event, then even zig-zags would’ve been acceptable.

clubber
    Free Member

If it was winetastic, parking in TJ’s front living room would be acceptable.

Or Elf’s but he lives on the millionth floor of a crappy, crumbling London towerblock that smells of wee so it might be impractical.

wwaswas

Your bush could do with a trim (vicar) – I’d be complaining about the school warning sign being covered by foliage

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Or Elf’s but he lives on the millionth floor of a crappy, crumbling London towerblock that smells of wee so it might be impractical.

😆

Your car would be stripped and burnt out before you’d reached my front door…

Actually, there’d be a bloody good chance the parking patrol would’ve towed yer car away within a minute of you leaving it, they are proper on the ball here, which is good. No one dares break any laws or parking regulations round here. They came to do some white line painting one day (there had bin signs up about this for several weeks previously), and took about 12 cars away. £250 a pop to get them back, plus a daily charge after a week or something. 😀

Well I found it amusing anyway….

GrahamS

Your car would be stripped and burnt out before you’d reached my front door…

Elf: this is rural Northumberland, I’m not sure if people of your complexion have ever been seen in some of these villages – you might be tried as witch 😆

bwoolymbr
    Free Member

Your local?

Do you frequent this pub GrahamS?

Are their hand pulls any good?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Elf: this is rural Northumberland, I’m not sure if people of your complexion have ever been seen in some of these villages – you might be tried as witch

😆

D’you want me to come up there and really frighten them? 😈

CountZero

You got away lightly. It might have been written in green ink… 😯

CountZero

Of course, the rules don’t apply to everybody:

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Dutty Babylon….

CountZero

Babylon, mon! Seen.

GrahamS

Do you frequent this pub GrahamS?
    Are their hand pulls any good?

Yes and yes. Good real pub. Regional CAMRA award winner multiple times over. 15 hand pulls (3 cider the rest ale).
    Ales are changed every week or two so selection is very varied but typically Northumberland and Scottish ales.

http://www.theboathousewylam.co.uk/

Gets a fair number of walkers and cyclists in too as it is on Keelman’s Way / Hadrian’s Way and the N72 sustrans route. Dog friendly too.

Recently fell out with Wylam Brewery though so if you want Wylam beer then you need to head further into the village to The Black Bull.

Gary_C

I wonder what they’d make of the pavement width in my village?

Look at the inconsiderate placing of that electrical pole in the photo. How would someone with a double buggy or a wide wheelchair get through….

😉

aracer
    Free Member

Mates in the car in front also got one

So were your mates also running late due to being up all night with a sick child (though you’d think 5.5 hours ought to be plenty long enough to get to a church in the next village)? Or were they even more inconsiderate than you?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 124 total)

The topic ‘Passive-aggressive notes’ is closed to new replies.