Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Passing stationary/slow moving traffic in cities, is there an etiquette?
  • AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

If you are coming to a lot of slow moving or standing traffic, usually found in the city of course. Would you…

a) pass on the pavement side of the vehicles as it is where you normally are as a cyclist

b) pass on the middle of the road side of the traffic as that is where a car would expect another car/vehicle to pass

c) not pass at all and wait for all the traffic, moving at the same speed as the traffic (also IMO defeating the point of the bike in the city a little)

Im trying to decide which is safest and which a vehicle would expect to see you, is there some sort of etiquette to this? Having not lived in a big city before im not sure.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I think you should pass on the right but it is true that drivers will expect bikes on the left and not so much on the right – so for example a taxi might pull a u-turn right in front of you, for example, as they don’t expect something to be coming up on their right.

You don’t really want to sit behind the traffic sucking up all their fumes.

njee20
    Free Member

Always on the right, unless there’s a cycle lane on the left, and even then fairly grudgingly frankly.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Aidy
    Free Member

Pass on whichever side makes the most sense at the time/location.

wwaswas

pass on the right – drivers are used to motorbikes doign this and keep an eye out.

Cyclists scooting through small gaps by the kerb tends to end in tears and scratched paint.

disco_stu
    Free Member

I prefer to pass on the outside of traffic but will pass on the pavement side at times ( depends on road / traffic condition )

weeble
    Free Member

I got knocked off my bike a few years back overtaking stationay/slow moving traffic, on the right. Whilst in the end I wasnt found to be at fault my solictor was clear that the law and courts see such a manouver as being inherriently dangerous and the correct course of action should be to wait with the stationary traffic.

There is case law regarding this, cannot remember which case it was but it was oan accident invovling a milk foat and a bike.

In the real world cyclists are not going to wait in stationary traffic, I still overtake on the right as you would in a car. Just go easy and keep your wits about you

Garry_Lager

Pass on the left if there is space – you need to be a bit cautious about it though, never go hammer and tongs up the inside of moving traffic.

You’ve got traffic in your direction potentially turning left across you, plus you have zero visibility to traffic coming the other way – if they turn right across you in a break in the traffic, say, you could be in a difficult spot.
    Another awkward place to be for the same reason is just behind the last car going through a set of lights. If there’s traffic queued up the other way waiting to turn right then they’ll have a bad line of sight of you, plus they’re often in a hurry to turn before the lights change.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Whichever is safest on that road at that time – do it slowly andassume no one has seen you

weeble – Member

I got knocked off my bike a few years back overtaking stationay/slow moving traffic, on the right. Whilst in the end I wasnt found to be at fault my solictor was clear that the law and courts see such a manouver as being inherriently dangerous and the correct course of action should be to wait with the stationary traffic.

You solicitor is not quite right – there is case law on this and while it is legal to overtake stationary traffic you can be considered partly to blame for any accident.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Well yesterdayprovedit doesnt matter which side you are on

Pssed on the right and a corsa turned into me

Passed on the left in a cycle lane and a passat overtook me then moved over into me …

mrmo
    Free Member

which ever i think won’t get me killed, up the inside passengers have a habit of swinging the door open, outside drivers flick cigarette buts, crisp packets etc. and on coming traffic.

markenduro
    Free Member

Whichever is safest on that road at that time – do it slowly andassume no one has seen you

TJ is right, assume that every car is a potential accident due to u-turns, opening doors etc.
    You don’t ride a bike to sit in traffic.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

On the right; carefully. But I don’t see how a driver failing to observe me before pulling out of the queue and knocking me off ends-up being my fault. The converse would not be. Explain?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Can be considered contributory negligence – if the car driver did not expect you to be there. there are a few bits of case law on this if you google about cases with motorbikes. Depending on circumstances being found 25% at fault is not uncommon

http://www.bgtbikersolicitors.co.uk/case_law.html#filtering

muzzle
    Free Member

I commute by bike every day in Sheffield, and the simple answer is there is no simple answer. You need to judge every situation and junction etc as you come across it. Take it extra cautious to start with, confidence and judgement skills rapidly improve with experience! Three things: never lose concentration, always anticipate the worst, and if you think a manouevre might be risky don’t do it. But it’s great fun… I absolutely love my 5 mile each-way commute.

soundninjauk

The route I take in London tends to be either dual lane or have a bike/bus lane on the left hand side, so I’m generally passing on the left. As said before though it’s really dependent on what’s going on at the time. And be sensible with your speed (i.e. don’t go flying through/past stationary traffic).

Just be sensible I guess, and assume that people are morons.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Look in every single car you pass, watch for movement starting – extra cautious past side roads, beware lights changing as you get to the front

brakes
    Free Member

Whichever is safest/ will win you the race.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Mostly B) with a good dash of

Pass on whichever side makes the most sense at the time/location.

for good measure.

SaxonRider

Replace ‘Sheffield’ with ‘Cardiff’ and ‘5’ miles with ‘4’, and muzzle’s words, above, could be my own.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    Look in every single car you pass, watch for movement starting – extra cautious past side roads, beware lights changing as you get to the front then just jump the lights with gay abandon, as you have decided the rules don’t apply to you

FTFY, old chap! 😉

martymac

first rule of the road, keep left.
    therefore, to overtake safely do it on the right.
    i will also add, when i did my motorbike test, i was told ‘assume every other road is a **** who wants you dead’
    not bad advice imo.

stuarty
    Free Member

Mmm think I was trained
    Always overtake as fast and close as possible and on one wheel
    One handed was deemed showing off, 🙄

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Depends on the conditions, sometimes left, sometimes down the middle, down the outside or just sit in a short queue.

weeble
    Free Member

TandemJersey that sounds right, it was a few years ago. Memory is not so good as I’ve been on the floor many times since 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

In That London I look for gaps between the left side of the road, you know down the gutter, but I’ll only do it if the road surface is any good. If it’s full of pot holes and the traffic is moving slightly quicker than me I’ll hang back and tail a car, if the road is ok and the traffic is moving erratically then I’ll happily scuttle underneath them. I don’t like passing on the right, I’ve been trapped by motorbikes and squeezed out enough by drivers changing lanes and trying to turn right. As for undertaking, it’s full of pitfalls, you have to watch for passengers leaping out at lights, meandering cars mounting kerbs so they can turn left a second or two before the gap appears, buses turning left and pulling into bus lanes can be a bit bottom clenching, but I have to say they at least keep an eye out for cyclists. Taxis and delivery vans are random and I keep well clear of em’.
    In all the time I’ve been riding in That London I’ve only had one or two near misses, by that I mean a quick stop rather than being knocked off.
    But I use quiet back streets, not those main thoroughfares, and I choose them to minimise the risk element.

float
    Free Member

drivers are used to motorbikes doign this and keep an eye out.

youre seriously overestimating the caliber of most car drivers.

nick3216
    Free Member

I got knocked off my bike a few years back overtaking stationay/slow moving traffic, on the right.

au contraries I was knocked off my bike overtaking stationary traffic on the left using a cycle lane. someone, who had passed me just seconds before, flashed a car coming the opposite way across the front of me into a car park.

FWIW I prefer to pass on the right, and it was only the cycle lane that made me do different.

brooess
    Free Member

As a few say above, be aware of ANYTHING a driver might do and ride accordingly and make yourself as visible as possible, with as much margin for manoeuvre as you can…

I prefer to ride on the outside of a queue of traffic as I’m more likely to be spotted by the driver. But always take it easy so I can stop quickly

dangerousdan
    Free Member

Read this one with great interest as I’m due to start a 10mile each way commute in three weeks. +1 for this bit:

‘assume every other road user is a **** who wants you dead’

Engage dickhead sensor; ride assertively; if in doubt, stop and wait.

Duggan

Either, depending on the circumstances at the time. Definitely don’t have a hard and fast rule either way.

davosaurusrex

Pin it!

druidh
    Free Member

If the traffic is moving then you are overtaking and this should be in the normal overtaking position – on the right.

If the traffic is stationary then you are filtering and you can go left, right, or in-between.

In the real world – go where you think is safest and always keep a look out for doors opening and other traffic making sudden manoeuvres.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

I see, generally its assess the situation… I have always gone with the assume everyone can make a stupid move and be aware. I ride with quite a bit of caution and realise there are a lot of people who ride with a lot of confidence here in London, just moved here last week and it definitly seems crazy compared to anywhere else ive ridden!

samuri
    Free Member

For queuing traffic I’ll pass on the right normally. If the traffic is moving I won’t pass at all. If for some odd reason I feel the need to undertake on the left, I’d be very cautious indeed, in my experience, that’s where the real danger is.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Passing stationary/slow moving traffic in cities, is there an etiquette?’ is closed to new replies.