Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Passing off second hand goods as new
  • shermer75
    Free Member

Ok, so here is my problem. I have bought a hub from one of the large online bike shops. It’s obviously been taken off a wheel because there are marks where the spokes have been, as well as some other dings, marks and scratches. This would be kind of ok(ish!) but the bearings are notchy. I mean REALLY notchy. I honestly don’t think I’ve ever had a hub that felt this bad.
    So: it is too late to contact the retailer (I’ll be phoning them tomorrow morning) but before that I’d like to arm myself with as much information as possible. What are the legalities here? I’m assuming that, as the hub was sold as new, the retailer is on the wrong side of some kind of statutory right here? Does anybody have experience in the matter?
    I won’t be naming the shop until I’ve contacted them and they’ve had a chance to clear things up.

wwaswas

Maybe someone else returned it to them as bought and not wanted (basically bought a new hub and sent an old one back) and they didn’t check it properly?

jam-bo

Why bother getting arsey. Send it back, don’t buy from them again.

Jamie
    Free Member

but before that I’d like to arm myself with as much information as possible.

You’re overthinking it. It’s not personal, just send it back and don’t use them again.

m360
    Free Member

Arm yourself for what? Ring them, let them exchange it, or get a refund. Simple. As said, probably a genuine mistake when someone didn’t check a returned item properly. No need to be an arse about it, it’s not likely they’ve done it on purpose.

scaredypants

If it’s a UK shop and you bought “new” online, you have the absolute right to return it within 7 days, no questions asked under distance selling regs (as long as you haven’t used it which, of course, you haven’t)

After that it’s the sale of goods act which can require a bit of argument but, as ^ they said, goodwill should sort it without recourse to either if what you say is obvious to them

bigyinn
    Free Member

Speak to them, reach an agreement for a solution, job jobbed.
    Thats it.
    If they play the arse card THEN come back for ammunition.

discoduck
    Free Member

It sounds easy when you put it like that, about 4 or 5 years ago I bought a HOPE Bottom Bracket from an
    Online store, after having it in the house over a week it eventually made its way into the Garage where I unscrewed the two halves of the plastic casing, in there sat a silver Shimano B/B, covered in muck and grit.

Imagine the phone call I had trying to return that, it’s still in the garage now.

I wish you well.

shermer75
    Free Member

I am angry, as I needed to build the wheel tonight, but I won’t be an arse as I don’t think that’s the best way to go about things. I just like going into these kinds of conversations with as much knowledge as possible

shermer75
    Free Member

Just talked to the shop, they were very apologetic and say that they will be sending out a new one straight away. Very happy!

Jamie
    Free Member

I am angry, as I needed to build the wheel tonight, but I won’t be an arse as I don’t think that’s the best way to go about things. I just like going into these kinds of conversations with as much knowledge as possible

Just talked to the shop, they were very apologetic and say that they will be sending out a new one straight away. Very happy!

It’s been a very emotional 12hrs. 😛

shermer75
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U4Pvodwm0U[/video]

boblo
    Free Member

Anyone seen where I left my storm in a tea cup…?

Matt24k
    Free Member

Do you mean this one?

plyphon
    Free Member

Online store, after having it in the house over a week it eventually made its way into the Garage where I unscrewed the two halves of the plastic casing, in there sat a silver Shimano B/B, covered in muck and grit.

That really sucks. I guess the lesson is to always inspect the delivery of your goods within the 7/14 (I think its 14?) distance selling return period.

The other option is to film yourself opening each parcel but that might be taking it too far…!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Passing off second hand goods as new’ is closed to new replies.