Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Parts washer – what fluid?
  • mtbmatt
    Free Member

Lucky enough to have been given one of these, which is a good size (5 gallon) for bike bits.

If anyone else has one, what fluid are you using? Standard degreaser or something more concentrated?
    It will be used mostly for chains, cassettes, etc.

sandwicheater

Goat tears. That or bear jizz.

dazh

A mate of mine has one of those and he uses diesel.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Swafega jizer.

jes
    Free Member

Viro-sol, a citrus degreaser which I use as general bike cleaner like muc off, diluted about 10:1 in a spray bottle and also used in a small ultrasonic bath for small part cleaning.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Jizer. It’s the business.

jota180
    Free Member

I use paraffin

cr500dom
    Free Member

Jizer, not cheap but water soluble and doesn’t leave a nasty oily film on everything……
    Which is after all what you are trying to achieve with degreaser…..
    Otherwise it’s becomes less dirty but more oily, and not degreased at all 😆

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I will give Jizer a try. 5 litres for £18, so not as expensive as bike specific degreasers.

reedspeed
    Free Member

Red diesel,tfr or kero..depending on what youre washing and all cheaper than jizz !….a.

IHN

A kettle full of boiling water. V.hot water is an amazing degreaser

njee20
    Free Member

But it stops being boiling very fast indeed and requires a lot of energy to get it their, and still isn’t as effective as a chemical degreaser…

Parts cleaner in the LBS uses “Ozzyjuice”, which seems quite good – very effective, but not quite as aggressive on anodising/skin etc as some of the alternatives.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Jizer, not cheap but water soluble and doesn’t leave a nasty oily film on everything……

Depends what you’re washing? I wash my chain in a tub of petrol and putoline wax, not quite as effective as neat putoline, but it does leave a protective coat of the wax on steel parts, it’d probably be good for mechs and stuff too, getting wax into the pivots and leaving a nice mud/water repellant film on everything else.

cr500dom
    Free Member

TINAS
    Depends what you’re washing? I wash my chain in a tub of petrol and putoline wax, not quite as effective as neat putoline, but it does leave a protective coat of the wax on steel parts, it’d probably be good for mechs and stuff too, getting wax into the pivots and leaving a nice mud/water repellant film on everything else.

Agreed, but I would rather have stuff clean and then apply the relevant (Correct) lubricant where needed, than a general oily film on everything, with zero lubrication or protective qualities, which is what you would get with Diesel / paraffin/ white spirit

Putoline Solid chain wax is fantastic stuff, shame its such a faff to use properly 😳

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Parts washer – what fluid?’ is closed to new replies.