Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Parts Washer
  • backinireland
    Free Member

Anyone use something like this for cleaning chains cassettes etc?

http://www.ukhs.tv/Automotive/Maintenance/3-5-Gallon-Bench-Top-Parts-Washer

backinireland
    Free Member

And what degreaser to use in it

gusamc
    Free Member

in the good old days we got a ‘squareish’ 1 gal container and cut one side out (put cap at bottom as then can drain into a decent container when done) *edit (and a paintbrush)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Stu at Riders Cycle centre has a sonic cleaner thing. Only seen pics on facebook but the results look amazing.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Why do you need something so big? I use an ice cream tub,,

FuzzyWuzzy

That one looks quite decent (assuming it works), seems to be it just uses flow from the nozzle and recirculates using the pump rather than being a sonic one (of which the cheap small ones are pants but the lab grade ones are apparently decent although expensive).

somafunk

That washer up there ^ looks exactly like the draper one i have in my shed, quite a decent wee parts washer and my one is at least 10yrs old and still working fine. I get degreaser solvent for free but if you pop into your local motor factors they will have a choice of degreasers, for your own skin safety i recommend you get a citrus based degreaser.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

IME they’re not much more effective than hot soapy water.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“IME they’re not much more effective than hot soapy water.”

your using the wrong solvent then.

safetykleen ones we use at work and had in the shop i worked in with a service contract for safetykleen fluid are far superior to hot soapy water.

somafunk

Yeah, we have a safetykleen in the bikeshop and it’s a doddle to strip a drivetrain and return it to as new condition in a matter of minutes, same as this one.

wwaswas

Do you people not have dishwashers?

asterix
    Free Member

so if I use the dishwasher to strip all the grease of a chain, what should I then lube it with ?

martymac

putoline chain wax.
    pricey to buy initially, but a tin will last years as you only use a miniscule amount for each chain.
    comes in a massive tin with 1kg wax.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Parts Washer’ is closed to new replies.