Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Parts list to convert to 1 x 10
  • cheekyboy
    Free Member

Has anyone recently converted to 1 x 10 and would be so kind as to share their parts list, many thanks in advance !!

soma_rich
    Free Member

shifter,
    rear mech,
    cassette and chain.
    I run a SS front ring with no problems but you could get a narrow wide ring if you wanted to be really fashionable.

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

You only need a specific shifter and cassette

honourablegeorge

Kind of depends where you’re starting from.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Cheers so far wasnt aware the shifter needed changing !

jamiep
    Free Member

Cheers so far wasnt aware the shifter needed changing !

as above, it depends whether you start from. going from 3*10 or 3*9

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

Like said, would be easier to tell you, if we knew where you are starting from..?

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

If you want better chain retention you might want to consider a clutch mech and narrow/wide chain ring.

You might also want to extend the cassette range so might need a compatible cassette (usually XT and of a particularly range) and “dinner plate” ring (e.g. Hope 40T-rex).

As others say, your starting point affects what you need.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Cheers folks, I am starting with a 2 x 10 set up already ! I am about to order a Hope t-rex and and thick-thin 30t chainring, may have to wait a month to buy the new mech or nick the kids dinner money, is the clutch mech essential or just nice to have ?

Been away for a couple of months and a couple of my riding buddies are saying its the best mod they have ever done ! they both paid around £350 for the full job of a local bike mechanic.

Cheers for the responses

phy7tes
    Free Member

I think you might need shorter chainring bolts?

transition1
    Free Member

If you already have 2×10 setup only need single chainring & single chainring bolts, plus MRP or similar chain device. If your going to run a Hope T-rex at the rear & 30T up front is Tiny, you will spin out on the trails. I run a 34T with 11-36 at rear no issues all over Wales etc

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

30t and a T-rex? Are you intending to ride up the side of a cliff?
    Just dropped to a 32t front 11-36 rear, Live in the Lake District. Was riding 36t front, 11-36 rear. Just fancied an easier time.
    30t without a t-rex and a 11-36 cassette should be ample? I would cancel the t-rex and buy a zee clutch mech for the money really… Horses for courses.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

30t and a T-rex? Are you intending to ride up the side of a cliff?

Lol
    🙂

Cheers, advice absorbed !!! will re-think the 30- t-rex

antares
    Free Member

I used this calculator when going from 2×10 to 1×10. Input what your using now and it will give you a good idea of what size chainring to get for your 1×10.

http://gears.mtbcrosscountry.com/#26I2I3

matther01
    Free Member

Defo rethink 30t…32t on one ringmaster is a good starting point, but having a 40t hope is a great bail out option…although you could keep the inner ring and change manually before the really steep stuff?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Parts list to convert to 1 x 10’ is closed to new replies.