Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 128 total)
  • Partners adult son living with us when we buy a house together
  • biglee1

Adult son of my gf is going to move in with us when we buy a house together in about a month. He’s in his early 20’s and has a fairly well paid job. He’s paying a very nominal amount living with his mother at the moment and is extremely unhappy about having to pay what I and his mother have just about agreed on. It’s roughly 25% of his pay which is less than half what he’d be paying if he had his own place. I’m of the opinion of that’s what it’s going to cost to live with us, if you want out that’s fine but his mother is chipping away at that amount even after we’d agreed. My argument is that I’m not subsidising her adult working son while he’s living under our roof we’ve worked years to pay for with no intention of moving out.
    Anyone else been in this quandary?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Would rather have lived in a bus shelter than with my parents in my twenties, get them apron strings cut, pronto. He’s only sticking about cos he’s on a good thing, bet his mates laugh at him down the pub (through their malnourished lips in their poorly washed and unironed rags)

mt
    Free Member

If you are not prepared to lose the GF careful with how far you push the argument. Why not just threaten to kick him out and see who makes the right choices.

rone

Yeah, you’ll always find that your partner’s son will be more kindly dealt with that you think reasonable. That’s just the way it is.

I did a similar thing and I just gave up eventually as I figured my opinion was never going to be that valid.

Suck it up and forget about the business element of it. Or get your own place 😉 which is what I did. He’s probably contributing more than he takes. And to be fair some people don’t make their kids pay owt.

(Plus he should be paying less than half if he doesn’t have a stake in the property really.)

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Don’t forget to mention it rises by RPI each year as well!

Sounds like he needs to help build a patio.

gobuchul
    Free Member

It’s pointless arguing about the money he pays, your GF will just give him cashback directly.

TBF with house prices and rents at the level they are now, there are not many in their 20’s who can afford their place.

Compared the situation in the 90’s, it’s a different World.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

TBF with house prices and rents at the level they are now, there are not many in their 20’s who can afford their place.

So, to take this to its logical conclusion, why not let him live there on condition that he puts the going rate of rent into a help to buy ISA?

You dont really need his money. Your Mrs needs to feel like she’s putting a roof over his head. He needs life lessons in the cost of living. Win win win.

Cougar

Double his rent, it’ll solve the problem pretty quickly.

jekkyl

are you well off financially? give him a break. How would you treat him if he was your son?

parkesie
    Free Member

Noisy sex is the answer.

Cougar

Mate of mine is on probably double my salary. He moved out of his parents’ place and got his own a little while ago. He completed the purchase a week after his 40th birthday.

Just saying.

Cougar

Noisy sex is the answer.

Good idea. He’ll move out if he wants to do that.

leffeboy

Things have changed since I left home certainly. It seems normal now for grown ‘children’ to stay with their folks until mid to late twenties now. For me that was unimaginable but it is normal now.

How about persuading girlfriend to put half of the ‘rent’ each month into a savings account that he can use for deposit on house/rent when he eventually moves?

edit: and spend the other half on sex toys, noisy ones. I would google suggestions for you but I don’t look forward to the stw ads after doing that

Cougar

How about persuading girlfriend to put half of the ‘rent’ each month into a savings account that he can use for deposit on house/rent when he eventually moves?

That’s a good shout actually. He’ll soon get twitchy when he sees there’s a big pot of cash sitting there with his name on it that he can’t touch.

m0rk
    Free Member

25% in the HTB ISA, or if he can’t be trusted with that then take it off him & stick it in a separate account for him for when he does buy a house (or needs a rental deposit)

My folks decided to charge me 25% of my first pay, which indirectly was the motivator for me to earn more money to move out…. and I never looked back.

km79
    Free Member

Early 20s you say? You could have him there another 10 years. Some 26% of 20 to 34 year olds in the UK live with their parents. When just looking at sons this jumps up to 32%!

zanelad
    Free Member

Tell him (and her) to pay up or **** off. You give in know they’ll walk all over you for the rest of the relationship. If it’s something you feel strongly about, and I wouldn’t subsidise someone elses offspring, they they should take your views into account.

If not then it’ll be 2 against 1 from here on in.

chakaping
    Free Member

Is there any actual chances of him saving enough for a deposit within the next decade? Or do you live in the south east of England?

From your post it sounds like it’s not going to all be sweetness and light anyway. Do you get on with the lad?

scotroutes

jekkyl – Member
    are you well off financially? give him a break. How would you treat him if he was your son?

Thank you jekyll for that glimmer of compassion and reasonableness.

carlosg
    Free Member

When I moved back home after getting into financial problems (18 years old 1st credit card) I was told that my contribution would be 25% of everything apart from the mortgage. I was massively peeved but it gave me a clue what life in the real world was going to cost.

br
    Free Member

Not sure where you live, but can he actually afford to buy/rent on his own?

And tbh I wouldn’t let any of my kids pay +50% of earnings in rent if they could live with us.

FWIW three kids, eldest two live +100 miles away and the elder (23) bought last year with the middle (22) one buying this year. The youngest (18) is still at home. All work.

tbh Never really took anything off them that they didn’t get back; went 1/2 with the inlaws on the eldest costs/stamp, paid the middle ones rent for three years while he was an apprentice (he couldn’t afford it, and in a city with no family).

But my folks did the same for us, and latterly they gave us the family home when it got too much for them. Not all take though as we’ve built Mum a separate granny annex.

My granny’s motto’s:

#Look after your family
    #Life’s not a dress rehearsal, this is it
    #No money in a shroud

xico
    Free Member

Tell him (and her) to pay up or **** off. You give in know they’ll walk all over you for the rest of the relationship. If it’s something you feel strongly about, and I wouldn’t subsidise someone elses offspring, they they should take your views into account.

If not then it’ll be 2 against 1 from here on in.

A well made point, zanelad.

convert

Are we talking all in – ‘rent’, council tax, utilities and food? All for 25% of his wage.If so that’s the deal of the century and one he’ll never get again for the rest of his days.

The bigger question is why is he living with you. Is it so he can save up to be more independent in the future? If so is there an agreed time frame? Or has he never really grown up and just lives with his mum, just because. Well, because it’s easy. Too many times you see adult kids living at home to in theory save up but driving a better car than their parents, and most other aspects of their living expenses more luxurious than strictly necessary for a person trying hard to save.

br
    Free Member

and I wouldn’t subsidise someone elses offspring

(Not so) modern life. My 2nd wife knew I had kids when we got together, odd times she’s moaned about money but that was really due to my ex.

Seems the majority on this post haven’t had kids/divorce/remarried etc (yet), otherwise they’d be more forgiving.

Or has he never really grown up and just lives with his mum, just because. Well, because it’s easy.

Or maybe Mum had a 5h1t divorce and wanted him around, maybe Dad died – could be loads of reasons.

grumpysculler
    Free Member

Either put some away for him or make sure he does it himself. It can be hard to leave, its even harder if you get used to living on too much of your income.

And, as suggested above, have lots of noisy sex. Hearing his mum will probably make him adjust his priorities. You could also try leaving toys around the house.

PePPeR

I’ve got a 17yr old nearly 18 finishing sixth form in a couple of months time who has no intention of doing anything if he can get away with it. I am gradually reducing the amount of help I’m giving him to try and force him into going out and working for himself.

I am already putting in his mind that he is going to have to pay me rent, I don’t need it, but I refuse to work my backside off for others to sit and watch my broadband all day long! I am struggling to converse with him about it as he just tells me to **** off..

He really needs a reality check, all our four daughters were working full time and earning their own livings long before this age.

Waderider
    Free Member

Not reading all the above but why not just save a proportion of the rent for him, say the difference between the value you are proposing and what your girlfriend proposes? Agree together to not tell him about the proportion saved, and gift it to him when he buys his own place.

That way he still feels the incentive to move out from the perceived high rent, and you and your girlfriend have a solution where everyone wins.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

So, to take this to its logical conclusion, why not let him live there on condition that he puts the going rate of rent into a help to buy ISA?

+1

But charge the full going rate for renting at least a nice bedsit, plus his share of the council tax, food and bills.

You get to shake off the feeling of being taken for granted, and he can move out as soon as the deposit’s built up. If he doesn’t like it he can always move out but then he loses that easy deposit money.

biglee1

Some great points there folks.
    Also gf has a 15yo girl and 21yo son who is at uni. I also have a 13yo girl that doesn’t live with us full time so there isn’t only the 3 of us needing looked after. We’ve looked into how much it would cost for him to rent or buy a 2 bed terrace and with everything included, no furniture tho, and it’s at least double what I am suggesting. Easily affordable for him, less than half his wages when he stops wasting it all like he does at the moment. We’re having a chat about it tonight together!

biglee1

Gonna suggest to him putting the difference away between moving out and paying lodge here so he saves lots and is used to budgeting that amount every month.

Cougar

Agree together to not tell him

I reckon he’s better off knowing, bigger incentive.

johnners
    Free Member

there are not many in their 20’s who can afford their place

I couldn’t, I had a room in a shared flat as did most of my contemporaries. I feel young people today are missing out on that character-forming period of poverty driven flat sharing with a bunch of random thieves and psychos.

Seriously though, given the other demands on the accommodation I’d be very reluctant to let a well-paid adult capable of supporting himself book a permanent place.

Pook

Noisy sex is the answer

I don’t think the gf well take too kindly to you and her son doing that

kimbers

As long as he’s happy with naked Wednesdays I don’t see a problem

zanelad
    Free Member

Seems the majority on this post haven’t had kids/divorce/remarried etc (yet), otherwise they’d be more forgiving.

Or has he never really grown up and just lives with his mum, just because. Well, because it’s easy.

Or maybe Mum had a 5h1t divorce and wanted him around, maybe Dad died – could be loads of reasons.

The OP starting a new phase in the relationship. Why have some gooseberry there just because they can’t be bothered to stand on there own two feet.

For how many years should the OP subsidise the lad? One imagines in this modern world of which you speak, the OP is already supporting another household.

One can be sympathetic without paying for it. I’d support my own offspring, and theirs, I do, but I’d draw the line at someone else’s. If Mrs Z ever tires of me, and most days I marvel that she hasn’t, then if I entered another relationship no children would be a prerequisite. Mind you, they do say if it’s got tits or wheels, rent it. Perhaps that’s the way forward.

project
    Free Member

Tell him to go you decided to live with the G/F, not her family,and if things turn the corner to annoyance, theyll both gang up against you and youll be out.

spekkie
    Free Member

Talking from experience with my partners son . . .

Depending on your temperament, this situation potentially has all the makings of a massive disaster for all three of you.

thegreatape
    Free Member

My stepdaughter still lives at home and my wife refuses to charge her a penny in rent.

MoreCashThanDash

My parents charged me rent from when I left school at 18.

I worked hard, saved up and bought my own place at 21. At which point they gave me my rent back they’d saved and it paid for a bed, sofa, white goods etc.

The noisy sex was motivating though, I have to say 😳

butcher

25% of a wage sounds a lot to me tbh. Maybe he’d pay double that for his own place, but not for a flat share, and especially not for a flat share with parents!

That and unless he gets paid very little, his contribution must be helping you financially somewhat?

And he’s family…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘Partners adult son living with us when we buy a house together’ is closed to new replies.