Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Parting out my bike couple questions
  • fozworth
    Free Member

I’ve decided to part out my bike to fund s new build and wondered if I’m on track for a couple of the prices ?
    I’ve got a set of mint 2010 Mavic cross max SX wheels that cost me £650 so I figured £250 is a good price? Or should I ask more ,I don’t want to sit on them for ages but don’t want to give them away

boblo
    Free Member

What does ‘parting out’ mean?

Bregante

Is it something to do with colorways?

stevied
    Free Member

The Urban Dictionary defines the term to mean to sell or otherwise redistribute the composite parts of a whole, as with an automobile or computer system, according to the respective practical or monetary value of each.

chestrockwell

Similar to murdering out and swapping out I believe.

I could be wrong but I don’t think you’ll get more then £250 for a set of 2010 wheels. I’d expect £150/200 but am happy to be corrected.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

You’ll probably get more for the wheels if you murder them out.

fozworth
    Free Member

Yes parting out is selling a complete bike as parts .I hope to get 250 as they as so clean an have had little use but I understand what your saying .id keep them if they fitted my new build as there so light n strong
    Cheers

convert

Yes parting out is selling a complete bike as parts

Better know as splitting around these parts.

26″? Square route of naff all now I’d have thought, for exactly the reason you don’t want them any more.

chakaping
    Free Member

Is 2010 the new freehub or old?

If they are the ITS4 hub and in mint condition you might get £250, absolute tops.

If older version, more like £150.

nemesis
    Free Member

2010 Mavic cross max SX wheels that cost me £650

As above, I’d reckon on £150 – £200 now, especially as they’re likely to be 26″ which as I’ve found recently makes the value silly low.

boblo
    Free Member

Ah, OK. Understood. Presumably the ‘automobile’ reference indicates the terms provenance. God daaaym etc.

fozworth
    Free Member

Mmm I might just keep the whole bike at this rate but I’m not bothered about having 650b size wheels and certainly wouldn’t want 29″ it just happens that the frame I’m buying is designed for the 650’s otherwise I’d use mine .but sadly it ain’t an option

fozworth
    Free Member

Just checked and there 2011 model with the ITS-4 free wheel setup. Still at sale price in some shops for 499 down from 692.99 .I’ll see what happens once the frame n forks go

convert

Whilst there are many (including me) that aren’t that fussed about the wheel size they currently ride, anyone buying new (to them) kit and choosing 26″ realises they are buying into dead end size convention. They are only doing that to get a proper bargain. They are either looking to put together a rat bike for buttons or a bike made of components they would previously not have been able to afford at a knock down price. Either way 26″ inch parts will only be bought by folk wanting cheap. It is for that reason I plan on riding my current 26″ bike into the ground when it owes me nothing before I replace it.

fozworth
    Free Member

The way I see it there’s always people that want to follow the latest trend but manufactures arnt going to stop building 26″ wheel bikes over night 0range who I’m sure know there onions are still producing 26″ bikes at £2850+ and I wouldn’t call them cheapy rats .i guess there will always be a divide but there’s 100’s of thousands of high end bikes out there using 26″ rims and I’m sure they’ll be upgraded or etc before there junked .

thomthumb
    Free Member

Where

there onions

?

boblo
    Free Member

Their, they’re <sigh>

Is this one of those ask for advice/argue with the respondents threads…?

chakaping
    Free Member

Come back and let us know what you get for them chief.

chestrockwell

To be fair I would have thought Orange will build to order or have a very limited stock of 26″ Alpine 160’s (if that’s the one you mean?) ready just in case anyone wants them. I expect it’s the 650b version that they will sell in any numbers.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

0range who I’m sure know there onions are still producing 26″ bikes at £2850+ and I wouldn’t call them cheapy rats .

Or maybe they were just caught with their pants down and are overstocked on 26ers?

nwill1
    Free Member

Interesting thread…asking the value of something when you know what you want…looked at your F&F ad, someone offered £700 sounded a fair offer as you were asking £725…you said £760 posted WTF!?

As for the wheels I’ve seen a new set with all adaptors and full warrenty from a shop sell on eBay for £225! I’d say £150 is about fair. Despite being 26″ I’m guessing they’re 20mm front unless you have the adaptor it will be an added cost…most forks are 15mm these days.

fozworth
    Free Member

Replays /advice /comments noted,if I could have the item number for the new wheels you saw for 225 I’d like to take a look ,regarding my frame etc ,the chap who’s interested actually wanted a total price including shipping which will cost me 35-40 quid of which I wasn’t prepared to do for f all as I don’t have that sort of movement in the costings ,hope that clears that up .cheers all.

nwill1
    Free Member

Haha…you don’t have to believe me but I have no reason to lie! You asked for advise…now your asking for me to substantiate my claims…ledgend but unfortunately i don’t keep a record of every item I follow on eBay…I’d have quite a catolouge as I’m following upto 50 items at any one time, something’s to keep an eye on the worth of an item…you ought to try it for yourself…save starting threads asking peoples advice and experience that you probably won’t believe or accept!

scaredypants

tough crowd tonight 😕

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Boo, I clicked in here expecting maybe some interesting component choice discussion for a bike build but instead it’s a “what’s it worth” thread 🙁

fozworth
    Free Member

Never again ,period !

chakaping
    Free Member

The thing is that while IMO the SX is still probably the best 26″ wheelset available for hard riding – your rear hub will only work on QR and 135×12 frames – while 142×12 was pretty much the “standard” in the final years of 26.

Hence you probably won’t get as much as you’d like. Don’t shoot the messengers though.

convert

parting out

period

Are you actually american or a wannabe american?

boblo
    Free Member

It does jarr a bit doesn’t it?

wrecker
    Free Member

Poor bloke!
    They’ll sell for what they’re worth. I’d say put them up at £225ish ONO and see what happens. Pinkbike is worth a go.
    I have the same wheels and they are very good.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Can you get 15mm adaptors for the front?

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Parting out my bike couple questions’ is closed to new replies.