Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Partial shoulder dislocation, experiences ?
  • rsvktm

Daft crash, fast flat gravel corner, managed to get shoulder back in (nice and sick making) then thought fixed so rode out gently, popped again, once again put it back. On way back to van one handed, tried shoulder movement and yep out it came. Fairly painful to say the least but the relief when back in was sublime, can’t imagine what a full dislocation must be like.
    Nurse says ok to race in 2 weeks, as X Ray shows no damage, any experiences ? Don’t want long term effects.

Thanks all

retro83
    Free Member

Go to docs.

I dislocated mine a few years back and it’s given me trouble ever since. Come to think of it, I should probably go now to see if there’s anything that can be done.

wwaswas

Visit a sports physio and get some professional advice would be my advice.

rsvktm

Thanks, posted before finished. Did go to a and e. It’s the long term that worries…

leftyboy
    Free Member

From experience this:

bforbertie

Had the same and sadly it just kept popping out – even reaching down to pick up a shoe off the floor. Physio definitely worthwhile but if not working you may end up needing a surgical repair. The fact that it is recurring is a concern. It probably is dislocating but ligaments are loose /damaged so it is loose enough to pop back. Really should be rested as although no bony damage, there will be ligament and/or cartilage damage. Other issue is that if you catch your wheel and get a pull on that side of the handlebar, you may find it pops out – disconcerting on a descent. Sorry if that sounds negative. I ended up getting a repair and while I’m more cautious I’m back to normal riding and its great.

rsvktm

Cheers all, resting and now started exercises. Really didn’t feel loose putting back in, went back in with a fair old snap and was not easy putting it back. Dad had a recurring shoulder dislocation when I was younger so remembered his technique to a degree. Was a stupid second pop out as had carried on down trail and got a bit too carried away. Will see a physio before doing any racing just to make sure but even just two days later feels much better and more and more movement with no pain.
    Glad that you sorted bforbertie as reading more and more stuff on the net does not always help, but sure just a partial as what I felt in the shoulder before popping it back reads right. No further pop outs or even feeling like it will doing the shoulder exercises, so hopefully it will not be an issue.
    Not had more than 2 days off a bike for a good number of years, feels odd. Turbo time methinks.

shermer75
    Free Member

You definitely want to see a physio! Either privately or through your GP. If you go through your GP you may also get an MRI, which would show any ligament or tendon damage- this would not show up on an x-ray.

joebristol

To me that sounds like it’s coming out he socket but it far enough to need hospital help to get it back in.

I had that from a hockey injury and over time despite strengthening exercises it then started fully dislocating (much more painful).

Turned out I’d ripped some of the tissue off the bone so I had surgery to correct it last year. Feels more stable now – but not yet gone back to hockey as haven’t wanted to risk it!

tooby

From much experience, I’d say Defo get it checked out. I did mine partially years ago skating on a damp ramp. A couple of months later it really popped out when opening the door!! Got it pinned now.

I found sleeping with a cushion at my side to rest my elbow/arm on really helped get a decent nights sleep, mostly.

Good luck with it though.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Don’t get in the bath without an assistant handy!

milky1980
    Free Member

^That.

Popped mine out after a nasty OTB 7 years ago (also put a hairline fracture in my jaw, broken nose, broken wrist, knocked myself out for a while and damaged my lower back!) and the NHS physio was next to useless for biking. Got given two sessions (one initial one then a follow-up after 6 months) then was declared fine and sent away with an A4 piece of paper!

I went and found a really good sports physio (they worked with rugby players for the local teams) after it was still randomly popping out by itself and it’s been miles better since. You must keep up with the exercises though as it’s easy to think it’s fixed and then forget about it, until it pops out again.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Few years back I had a dislocating shoulder. Key hole surgery to sew up the tearing that had occurred inside shoulder. Lots of physio and back to full strength within 6 months iirc. No issues since.

rsvktm

Cheers all, frustrating now as no pain just aches and could easily get carried away. I can’t imagine having it coming it out again, such a weird feeling. Going to do all the right things with this, didn’t with a badly sprained ankle over 10 yrs ago and that still occasionally lets go. No more surfing about it, going to speak to a physio about timings for a consult and get it sorted.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Partial shoulder dislocation, experiences ?’ is closed to new replies.