Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Part Time Lover
  • adsbatts89
    Free Member

I’ve just started working part time instead of full time to shift metaphorical weights on the work/life scale in my favour. Anybody else work part time on here, if so how do you spend your extra time?

irc

I work three days a week, more or less, for the last 5 years. Don’t worry about it. By the time a few months are past you’ll wonder how you had time for a full time job. Bit of cycling. Hillwalking. Walking or jogging with the dog. Being able to choose good weather to do things rather than having to do it at the weekend. It’s all good.

bubs

Congratulations! I ride my bike and spend time with my kids … In daylight! It’s fab.

adsbatts89
    Free Member

Sounds good irc – I’m trying not to bike all time so hill walking might be an idea.

dantsw13

I’m Part Time – it just means a bit more time for everything. Enjoying a coffee in the local deli with the wife, long dog walks, diy projects, walking the kids to school.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I’m sort of part time but struggling to fit in any work at all. These STW threads won’t answer themselves and there’s an awful lot of Internet to read each day.

RustySpanner

Three or four 12 hours days usually.

I spend my time off sleeping, mostly.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Well that was disappointing.

loddrik
    Free Member

Work two days a week here. Sleep lots, be a house husband, school run, housework, hang out with wife and kids, cook, ride bike. I am completely domesticated. Someday the kids won’t need me as much but I’m hoping the wife stays happy with the status quo. She likes coming home from work to find a tidy house and dinner on table.

Life’s good.

Daffy

Agreed. I clicked on thinking this was a misplaced Classifieds add…

Daffy

I spent the entirety of last year doing a 4 day week and whilst it was nice to have Friday off with the munchkin, squeezing 40+ hours of work + general life admin into 4 days just sux.

gordimhor
    GrahamS

I moved to a four day week a while ago, primarily so I could spend more time with my kids.

Best thing I ever did. Bit less money but much more happiness.

Tomorrow is “Daddy Day” 🙂

adsbatts89
    Free Member

The Stevie Wonder song is actually about his love of reduced work hours. Full time funk is hard.

bigblackshed

I’m not part time. Far from it. I do 4×12 hour shifts, but on “continentals”, 2x days, 2x nights, 4 off. Take off my holidays and this year I’ll work 154 shifts. Compare that to standard 5 day week minus holidays and bank holidays and the average joe works 227 days.

I’m time rich. I get to see my kids, be involved in their lives other than evenings, have lunch out with my wife, ride my bike, **** about in my Shed, chop wood, do the housework, volunteer at my sons riding school.

And still get to lie in! 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

All right you lot. No need to go on about all this free time and enjoying yourselves thankyouverymuch.

Life’s there to be missed, endured and spent in front of a little screen craving money you waste on things you don’t need.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I do about 3 days a week, through I tend to spread them over 4/5. Late starts, miss traffic, long lunches, early knock offs etc. Most of my week day rides are evenings which is fine as it’s too hot in the middle of the day here at the moment.

So a different approach, take a lot more holiday after some big weeks so I’ve done some monster weeks being away 6/7 days with heaps of travel but then I’ll tag some days on the end and have a guilt free mini break.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Do not ever speak of this again! it’s bad for morale 😉 Dave’s chippy little strivers should be working 24/7 and be bloody grateful for it.

wilburt
    Free Member

I do about 30 hours,flexible and work from home. What do I do with my time? Get on with live..talk to friends, my kids, go places, cycle, run, fix up my house, walk dogs, But I also use my time to sort out online business, banking mortgages etc, catch up with social media, come here and talk nonsense etc which other people do in work time.

milky1980
    Free Member

Not part time but I do work only 4 days a week. Shifts are 10-12 hours most of the time so I get my full working week done faster leaving me 3 full days to do as I please 😀

I don’t have kids or a wife to worry about though so doing 4 longish days isn’t a problem, much prefer having the extra day free midweek 8)

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OO-ZGP68-3w[/video]

???

swampi
    Free Member

When my daughter was 9 months old my wife and I swapped roles as she earnt a lot more than me,dropped to 1x12hr shift, 4 years down the line,swapped jobs from nursing to bike industry,2 days a week, daughter at school and its ace, all cooking and housework is done,diy etc and wonder how one would fit it in whilst working full time. You soon adapt to less money, and time is one thing money cant buy 🙂

Sandwich

Mrs Sandwich bless her, suggested I could become a househusband in 2018. I’m not sure I could cope with no work and being a moderately wealthy woman’s plaything. I could try picking it up as I go along.
    (TBF it wasn’t a riot when I was unemployed for 18 months so I am wary of doing it again).

adsbatts89
    Free Member

Great responses, thanks. So far, I’ve found it interesting how I’ve had to shift my weekly priorities away from the usual ‘normal work week’ followed by a couple of days of hobbies etc. I’ve now got to carefully consider how I’m gonna make the most of my time each week and really think about what I want out of life. When people ask ‘so what do you do?’ I need to have a have a good justification otherwise I think people see only working 3 days as slacking.

jam-bo

GrahamS – Member
    I moved to a four day week a while ago, primarily so I could spend more time with my kids.
    Best thing I ever did. Bit less money but much more happiness.

Snap. 30hrs over 4days. Can’t see me going back to full time.

loddrik
    Free Member

I need to have a have a good justification otherwise I think people see only working 3 days as slacking.

What’s it got to do with them? Live your life for you and your family and bollox to what other people think.

slowoldman

I need to have a have a good justification otherwise I think people see only working 3 days as slacking.

Tell them you’re a part time lover.

Sandwich

Another +1 for Loddrik, it’s none of their business if you’re a kept studmuffin. 😀

stewartc
    Free Member

I’m trying to persuade my company that a slowdown in business means its more practical for me to go to a 4 day week for a short while. Although it means a 20% reduction it salary it also means I get more time available during peak riding season…of course my first thoughts are for the company.

GrahamS

Although it means a 20% reduction it salary

Bear in mind that, because of tax allowances, it’s not actually a 20% reduction in your take-home pay.

Also consider compressing your hours a bit. I went from 39 hours in a five day week to 36 hours in a four day week, which kept the drop in pay much more manageable.

stewartc
    Free Member

Hong Kong taxation makes minimal difference to my salary, its very low rate.

GrahamS

Ah fair enough, I was assuming UK tax.

olddog

I was working 4 long days until this week. The extra day was for breakfast at coffee shop, gaming, yoga and climbing. Sadly just added another half day, but wfh so can still yoga and climb on spare afto. Not happy about extending hours, value the time more than money and diminishing happineds return is stark for me after a point. But I’m on a contract so will see it out then have some proper time off again.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Part Time Lover’ is closed to new replies.