• This topic has 56 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Parking ticket question
  • bigyinn
    Free Member

Today my o/h has got a ticket for parking here (big red rectangle).

Can she park here legally or not? I think she can, as the opposite side has a single yellow line on it, the other side has nothing.
    There are no yellow lines, no notices anywhere to say no parking. The only possible giveaway is the light yellow slabs either side of the hump which have raised bumps, like you would at a pedestrian crossing. There are no driveways being blocked either.
    A quick presual of the hgihway code brings up nothing obvious

For the holier than thou amongst us, im not trying wriggle out of this, if its a valid ticket it’ll be paid.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Does the ticket not have a reason for issue?

bigyinn
    Free Member

I haven’t seen it yet, she just text me to let me know.

jambourgie
    Free Member

The only possible giveaway is the light yellow slabs either side of the hump which have raised bumps

And the big red rectangle.

bigyinn
    Free Member

The red rectangle was added by me to the picture to show the location of her car, it doesnt actually exist!

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Are you allowed to park over a crossing? I’d imagine that’s what the problem is.

woody2000

Looks like a dropped kerb to me, or some kind of crossing spot and so probably illegal.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Ah! Now you tell us!

Is it from the council? If not, put it in the bin.

Northwind

The dots suggest it’s suppose to be a crossing, but surely it needs to be marked up properly for that?

nealglover
    Free Member

It’s a “raised informal crossing point”

And not a particularly sensible place to park.

Can be ticketed in most areas.

Mark

So why is there a yellow line on one side? If you can’t park there anyway, why add a yellow line to indicate restricted parking?

bigyinn
    Free Member

She’s just text me to say the notice says “parked in a special enforcement area adjacent to a dropped footway (27)”.
    The footway has not been dropped, the road has been raised by the mains of a speed bump. Im wondering whether this is an overly keen PCSCO trying to up their figures?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Tsk. If she’d not been lazy and parked 50 yards further up the road by that grass verge, they’d be no ticket.

mattbee

Strikes me as a daft place to park when there’s space about 30m up the road under the lamppost that wouldn’t block a driveway or crossing point.. Unless there were dozens more cars there when the incident happened. School drop off by any chance?
    As for the ticket, daft parking or not the road markings are a bit rubbish. I’d pay and give her some grief about it myself…

globalti
    Free Member

So what if my sister with MS had pootled along in her mobility scooter, wanting to cross the road at that point?

Bang to rights if you’re asking me. Pay up.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

The footway has not been dropped, the road has been raised by the mains of a speed bump

I suspect by the newer looking kerbs that it used to be dropped and the bump was installed after the crossing and the crossing retained. Also the bricks on the top making a ‘path’ from one side of the bump to the other. Otherwise it would just all be tarmac.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Further reading HERE suggests they have used the wrong code. Code 27 is for a dropped kerb, code 28 is for a raised carriageway, which is where she parked.
    As mentioned on that thread I’ve linked, its a common place to park and its not immediately obvious that you cant park there.

Mark

I’d appeal on the grounds it’s confusing since there’s a restricted parking single yellow line on the other side and no signage. If you don’t win and they improve the signage and remove that confusing yellow line then all the better for everyone and appealing costs nothing but your time.
    It’s your moral public duty to appeal 😉

Northwind

globalti – Member

So what if my sister with MS had pootled along in her mobility scooter, wanting to cross the road at that point?

Not exactly disagreeing with the sentiment, but, could she not cross at the dropped kerb 10 feet away instead?

Do agree it is not a good place to park regardless of legality. But at the same time, easy to see how someone could interpret it as just being a traffic calmer.

BoardinBob
    bigyinn
    Free Member

Thanks everyone!
    The kerbs were only replaced when the humps were installed. To the best of my knowledge there was no dropped kerb there previously. My logic for parking there would be based on the lack of yellow line on that side.

I think we’ll appeal on the grounds of ambiguity due to lack of clear markings etc. That and the wrong code used.

Drac

Not exactly disagreeing with the sentiment, but, could she not cross at the dropped kerb 10 feet away instead?

Because that would involve crossing the road diagonally to get the next drop kerb, the council have kindly provided a nice and safe point to avoid that.

Northwind

Yep- but, being it makes very little actual difference here as far as I can see. Yes it’s diagonal but only a little.

Drac

Yep- but, being it makes very little actual difference here as far as I can see. Yes it’s diagonal but only a little.

Oh that makes it Ok to park then as god forbid a car driver would have to use their legs that 10 extra feet.

nealglover
    Free Member

Could the badly parked car not have been parked somewhere else leaving the crossing point free for its intended use ?

Northwind

Didn’t say that Drac. Just saying it’s not the end of the world on this particular road, where there’s other safe easy crossing points within yards. We’ve got a similiar disabled crossing near my house, hardly anyone ever uses it despite the extensive granny population… Rather than diverting up to the crossing, they just cross wherever they feel like, like anyone else does.

I’m working on the basis here that the car wasn’t parked there because **** disabled people- it was parked there because it’s not that clear that it’s a crossing and they mistook it for a speedbump. I wouldn’t park there myself but I can see both sides. If it’s essential for safety that it be kept clear, why isn’t it marked better?

miketually
    Free Member

So why is there a yellow line on one side? If you can’t park there anyway, why add a yellow line to indicate restricted parking?

It looks like the yellow line extends all the way along the road, not just for the crossing.

It is illegal to park blocking a dropped kerb, regardless of lines or signage.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Its not a dropped kerb though, its a raised carriageway.
    Code 28
    So that would could be grounds for an appeal.

zilog6128

The fact that it may/may not be either a dropped kerb or raised carriageway is irrelevant – it’s a pedestrian crossing, specifically of the type “uncontrolled crossing”, which can be (but does not have to) be marked.
    Parking on any ped crossing is not allowed (rule 240 of the Highway Code).

Bang to rights I’d say! 🙂 And extremely inconsiderate of other people in any case.

Drac

We’ve got a similiar disabled crossing near my house

😯

iolo
    Free Member

She parked on a crossing!!!
    Why are people trying to defend stupidity?
    Just tell her to pay the bill.

bigyinn
    Free Member

After your comments HERE you’ll forgive me if I dont pay any attention to you iolo.

Cougar

The tactile surface would indicate a crossing; it’s there so that blind people can differentiate between pavement and road in the absence of a difference in surface height.

Ergo, she parked on a crossing, which is illegal (THC rule 191).

However, the ticket is for a different offence, parking next to a dropped kerb (THC rule 243). Therefore, whilst she has committed an offence, the ticket is unenforceable.

If it’s issued by the council / police / TfL, challenge it. If it’s issued by anyone else, throw it in the bin.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Thanks Cougar.
    Whilst I accept she shouldn’t have parked there, the PCN issuer should be using the correct codes.

theocb
    Free Member

Woody’s technical drawing seemed to highlight that it is called a dropped curb.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I think that is in relation to an access road which is crossing a footpath, that than a footpath crossing the main rd.

nealglover
    Free Member

bigyinn – Member
    Thanks Cougar.
    Whilst I accept she shouldn’t have parked there, the PCN issuer should be using the correct codes.

In your first post you said you thought she was legally parked.

Now you accept she wasn’t legally parked but you still aren’t going to pay the ticket because of an accidental mistake concerning the code number (dropped curb Vs raised carriageway)

Both codes relating to parking illegally on pedestrian crossings that use very slightly different construction methods.

You also said in your first post ..

… I’m not trying to wriggle out of it..

I beg to differ.

theocb
    Free Member

The technical drawing shows (me) they call a flush curb a dropped curb so then the footway technically would also be a dropped footway. (Making the ticket fine.)
    Not sure there is much room for manoeuvre but good luck what ever you decide.

bigyinn
    Free Member

nealglover, I am now in possession with more facts than I was previously.
    Yes am I am going to contest it on a technicality.
    However there is the point that the ticket is potentially wrong. At what point do you roll over and pay up, Im not sure. But I’d rather not pay out £35 on an incorrect fine thanks.
    There is also the issue of the person issuing the ticket not knowing the subtle differences between offences.
    But dont let that put you off putting me down from your high horse. 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Parking ticket question’ is closed to new replies.