Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Parking Problem
  • RegP
    Free Member

Morning all,

Just wondered if anyone knew what the legal clarity was on this, our neighbours have purchased what I think is a 24 possibly 36 Coach, that has been converted into a Mobile Home, badly to say the least.

They have now taken to parking it outside our/their house. One it is a major eyesore to all of us but mainly when you park next to it you cannot see around it, to pull out from parked which makes it dangerous.

Just wondered do they have a legal right to park this on the road/what is the leagal size of motor that can be parked on the road?

For information we live in a Victorian terrace where the road is wide enough for one parked car and one moving car…..

ski
    Free Member

Does it have valid road tax?

RegP
    Free Member

Ski, sadly yes.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I think there are limits as to what can be parked on the road, yes, but I can’t find any evidence to back it up. There are often also covenants in house deeds to stop such things.

Either way, I feel for you. There’s some seriously inconsiderate people about.

wwaswas

I’d phone the council and ask.

Plus wait until they move it and make damn sure there wasn’t room to park it outside my house on their return.

batfink
    Free Member

with a DIY conversion job like that, wouldn’t de surprised if there was a fuel leak 🙄

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Christ that would drive me mad, when house hunting I’ve immediately dismissed properties that have neighbors with transit vans on their driveway, let alone a hippy wagon.

spooky_b329

Hey…nothing wrong with a DIY conversion!

But I had to admit, it does seem very un-neighbourly to park such a large vehicle in front of someone else’s house, I feel bad enough about mine yet its not scuffy and is much smaller, just a large van.

It would be worth speaking to them as they may already be quite aware they are quickly getting crossed off everyone’s Christmas card list…its quite possible they are looking for storage somewhere.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I think the limits only apply to HGVs, not PCVs. I do wonder if it’ll have to display lights during darkness though.

If it’s causing an obstruction such as blocking ambulance access the police will want to know (call 101), if it’s just obstructing driveways etc then the council will want to know. If it’s just a pain in the arse all you can do is complain to the owner.

xcgb
    Free Member

Have you tried talking to them?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member
    RegP
    Free Member

They had a smaller one that he did up, it was an old bedford van conversion. I did ask him to move this, he did do that and them moved it back a week later. He has now just chopped that one in for this one.
    I explaned the issue of not seeing round so he sells it and goes and buys a bigger one. It never moves and looks like a sh1t heap.

I just cannot see how you are alloed to park a coach on the road!!!

unklehomered
    Free Member

I’d get on to the council, politely and make the same enquirey. though if its for personal use, not work it may not be subject to any restrictions.

Or wipe poo under the door handles…

ir_bandito
    Free Member

If you’ve tried talking to him nicely, the next course of action is weeing in shoes, followed by owning with bombers.

(ahem, wrong forum too)

batfink
    Free Member

Are ASBOs still going? Isn’t this what they are for? Ie: things that are not strictly illegal, but are hugely antisocial?

I expect I’m wrong….

wwaswas

you could try and talk to other neighbours and see if they’re all pee’d off too – maybe all going to see him at once would change his ways?

RegP
    Free Member

I know one of the other neighbours are annoyed and the guys who look on to it, who 12 months ago bought their big house for 750k cannot be overly excited!!!

IHN

Pics?

br
    Free Member

I know one of the other neighbours are annoyed and the guys who look on to it, who 12 months ago bought their big house for 750k cannot be overly excited!!!

But you can’t own a ‘view’ – does it block light to you though?

spooky_b329

Pics seconded, I may recognise it on another forum I frequent 🙂

Cougar

Unless it’s a HGV there’s no general restriction on parking a vehicle on a road, even if you can see it and don’t think it’s pretty. That’s kinda what roads are for you see, vehicles.

If it’s dangerous to park next to it, don’t park next to it.

What you might have some luck with though is this:

we live in a Victorian terrace where the road is wide enough for one parked car and one moving car…..

They can’t legally park in a manner which would stop emergency vehicles getting past. Can you get a fire engine down that space, do you reckon?

Does it have valid road tax?

Unlikely, there’s no such thing as road tax.

mav12
    Free Member

Is it insured
    check vehicle insurance

Ewan
    Free Member

Houses often have coventants on their property stopping them having a carvan on their property. Download the property deeds from the land registry and have a look – 4 quid.

donsimon
    Free Member

Houses often have coventants on their property stopping them having a carvan on their property. Download the property deeds from the land registry and have a look – 4 quid.

What might it say about parking in the street?

grantway
    Free Member

burn it

glupton1976
    Free Member

Dont think there are any restrictions on what you can park on the road. My brother inlaw used to park his artic and 45ft trailer outside his house. Nobody complained though.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

If it is road legal, parked on on public road and not blocking access then sorry – suck it up. 🙁

TheBrick
    Free Member

KINGTUT – Member
    Christ that would drive me mad, when house hunting I’ve immediately dismissed properties that have neighbors with transit vans on their driveway, let alone a hippy wagon.

Quite agree those horrid people who have a van on their own property. So unacceptable.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What might it say about parking in the street?

Depends, some houses own their portion of the street even if the council has adopted it. Seems a long shot on a terraced house though.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

No – if the council adopts it, you lose ownership – at least I believe that’s the case and I have looked into it briefly as that is my situation.

Sandwich

My brother inlaw used to park his artic and 45ft trailer outside his house.

You would need a valid operators licence for parking an HGV in a regular spot. Your BIL was lucky not to be dobbed in!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Parking Problem’ is closed to new replies.