Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Parking on double yellow lines
  • timidwheeler
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23488437

Really stupid idea or brilliant way to revitalise the high st?

glupton1976
    Free Member

Stupid idea. If parking on the double yellows isn’t going to cause an obstruction then they probably shouldn’t be double yellows.

Cougar

Retarded, as Glupton says. We already have double yellow lines which allow parking with restrictions; they’re called single yellow lines.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    richmtb

Really stupid idea.

If double yellows aren’t required for safety then they should be removed and replaced with proper parking spaces or single yellows.

Free reign to park on a double yellow for 15 minutes would be carnage.

How about reducing parking costs instead?

bails

How and why would it revitalise the high street?

I’ve never thought “hmm, I would go and spend loads of money at the local shops….but there aren’t enough cars there, and I do enjoy having diesel flavoured coffee and cake”. Others might do, I suppose.

Accessibility versus amenity – how the bicycle can solve the dilemma

IanMunro
    Free Member

This reminds me one of those retarded policies they used to come up with in ‘The thick of it’.

For balance the BBC needs to interview Malcom Tucker for his views on it.

gusamc
    Free Member

madness in action

to be fair though I do think free parking might help – (scratches chin contemplatively) – I wonder who introduced parking meters and car park charges on publicly owned property ……

stumpyjon

Pretty symptomatic of the complete chinless idiots in charge in this country. As pointed out we already have variable restrictions. If it’s double yellows there’s a good reason, if not remove them.

Every time they allow ambiguity into an established rule they may as well bin the rule. Mind you they don’t enforce yellow lines well now, or parking on the pavement, or on a junction, or on the zig zags outside of schools. The few occasions they do people whinge about it being money making.

bails

Every time they allow ambiguity into an established rule they may as well bin the rule. Mind you they don’t enforce yellow lines well now, or parking on the pavement, or on a junction, or on the zig zags outside of schools. The few occasions they do people whinge about it being money making.

I actually thought about this earlier. If we stopped the fines and just crushed cars when they parked illegally, or threw people in jail for a few days when they were caught on the phone then there could be no accusations of “cash cow”ing and they’d be happy….right?
    😉

49er_Jerry
    Free Member

The parking on Isle of Man is verging on sensible. Each vehicle has a disc that the driver sets to show the time the vehicle was parked.
    It’s a very simple cheap disc that individuals purchase. Prosecution if the disc is not displayed, or the time is exceeded.

Simple yet effective.

Still think some areas should be permenantly vehicle free. Red Route type restrictions.

Cougar

If they want to revitalise the high street, random parking isn’t the answer. I don’t avoid town because I can’t park there – it’s free parking everywhere in my home town – I avoid it because it’s full of pound shops and people who look like the ones featured on People of Walmart.

Cougar

It’s a very simple cheap disc that individuals purchase.

We tried that, only the disc was free. Fell out of use, not quite sure why. I’ve seen it in other towns too; seems sensible enough.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Surely the length of time one is allowed to park on a double yellow line should be calculated by the value of the car. Three hours for a Bentley down to three minutes for a Robin Reliant.

project
    Free Member

We used to have free on street and car parking for free after 3.00pm, then it got withdrawn, so now we have lots of parking bays on roads empty, lots of empty shops, and empty car parks, and trafic wardens hunting errant motorists who park on yellows.

zilog6128

I actually thought about this earlier. If we stopped the fines and just crushed cars when they parked illegally, or threw people in jail for a few days when they were caught on the phone then there could be no accusations of “cash cow”ing and they’d be happy….right?

That’s actually the best idea I’ve heard today (crushing, probably not jail!) Logistically would be difficult and costly to implement, but I’m sure it would solve the problem!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I thought you could park anywhere as long as switched your hazards on or drove a BMW

unklehomered
    Free Member

The parking on Isle of Man is verging on sensible. Each vehicle has a disc that the driver sets to show the time the vehicle was parked.

We have that! works really well

However as someone who spends much of day watching the chaos caused by people parking on double yellows while they nip to the post office/chippy/whatever, this is a stupid idea. Reduce the number of double yellows and put more single yellows in, but if double yellows become OK, how do you mark what isn’t OK?

Drac

Yeah tried the disc in my home town years ago, was a huge failure as made no differnce to trade what so ever and provided no income for the council. So they went back to parking fees and trade stayed the same but the council makes some extra cash.

bails

Reduce the number of double yellows and put more single yellows in, but if double yellows become OK, how do you mark what isn’t OK?

Reds? Which we already have. Like oduble yellows but you can’t stop on them/commercial vehicles can’t make deliveries on them.

So could councils just say “yes Mr Pickles, what a wonderful idea, we’ll implement it despite you going on about ‘localism’*”. And then replace all the double yellows with double reds?

*localism seems to mean “I can propose unworkable schemes to try to gain a few votes without having to worry about implementing them. But if something happens that you don’t like then it’s all the council’s fault beacuse localism

stany
    Free Member

This strikes me as a bit like the idea of raising the speed limit to 80. As in, everyone does it anyway, so lets make it legal.
    Once a bit of thought is applied, the ideas bureau realise it’s not a good one.
    FWIW – the worst congestion in Dorking is on a Sunday when we have no traffic wardens/parking attendants. Lots of cars parked on double yellows on both sides of the High St, usually for 15mins or less. Cue single file traffic trying to go in both directions but actually not going anywhere!
    Oh, and no traffic wardens means the car parks are free too, and lots of empty spaces….

hora
    Free Member

I avoid shopping in Manchester city centre as its such a hassle the 8-8 parking rules and limited time that you can park/cost etc.

On Sunday I wanted a couple of CD’s- I could literally pop into town, buy the CD’s and a coffee thus putting money HMV/Fopps and a coffee shops way.

Too much hassle.

Too many double yellows- why is every street covered in them in town?

Obstructing WHAT? Revenue streams?

cb

Lower official car park fees (or free) and hugely increase fines for illegal parking. Making more high streets pedestrian only is a better way of bringing people into shop.

bails

I avoid shopping in Manchester city centre as its such a hassle the 8-8 parking rules and limited time that you can park/cost etc.
    On Sunday I wanted a couple of CD’s- I could literally pop into town, buy the CD’s and a coffee thus putting money HMV/Fopps and a coffee shops way.
    Too much hassle.
    Too many double yellows- why is every street covered in them in town?

Hassle? Down here we have things called car parks so you don’t have to worry about double yellows. Lots of them even have a 15 minute grace period so you can nip into town without paying for parking.

hora
    Free Member

Sorry the carparks aren’t cheap in Manchester and the cheaper ones are full/small. Cheap carparks are on wasteland and a walk.

15min grace period? Where? You aint talking about Manchester surely.

robdob
    Free Member

I went into Manchester 2 weekends ago and the parking is very restrictive and according to the shop I was in (Cotswolds Clearance) enforced very strictly. It was quite expensive too, but in the middle of the afternoon maybe 1/10th of the spaces were being used.

hora
    Free Member

Thats the thing- you can find spaces to park. Which says people just aren’t coming into Manchester like they should. The council like to think they are coming on buses/trams. Are they though?

Or are they knocking shopping on the head and googling for prices online as when the sandwich/coffee for all, etc etc is all added up that shopping trip is too much.

Trafford centre has free parking…just up the road.

crazy-legs

Why would you want to drive into Manchester?!
    There are these things called trains, buses and, in Manchester, one of the biggest and best tram networks in the UK. There are even FREE shuttle buses from the station that just circulate all the popular areas.

If you’re going to say things about Sunday trains/buses from where you live then drive to a local station or an area with free parking and get the tram/bus/train or walk from there. On the rare occasions that I do drive, I often park up on Great Ancoats Street, it’s a 5 minute walk through the back roads to Piccadilly or Northern Quarter from there.

Back to the original topic though, one of the most stupid and ill-thought out ideas ever. Back to the drawing board…

timidwheeler
    Free Member

I thought this was the most stupid idea I had heard in ages.

I can only presume this has come about because Eric Pickles has got fed up with having to waddle 200 metres to pick up his order from Kebab Kid.

hora
    Free Member

crazy-legs mrshora reliably informs me about the frequency and often how full the Altrincham to Manchester tram is like. Plus its a 10min walk to the tram from our house. I’d happily DITCH the car for visits into town.

Then post-shopping I could enjoy a few pints in either the Arndale Market or in the Northern Quarter 8)

bails

15min grace period? Where? You aint talking about Manchester surely.

I’m in the Midlands. Seems to be common to almost all “pay on exit” car parks I’ve ever been in. Presumably so that if you drive in, discover it’s full and drive straight out again you don’t have to pay. Most pay and display ones don’t do it though. Although the nearest one to me now is something like 10 or 20p for the first 20 minutes, then it starts to ramp up.

I can’t imagine many people really think “I was going to go into town to buy a new £500 tv or a £2000 bike, but I’d have to pay £2 parking while I picked it up so I’ll just take the day off work so I can have it delivered after buying online instead”.

Philby

Another stupid, publicity-seeking idea from the increasingly desperate bunch of clowns in Government. I wonder if each department is trying to outdo each other, what with the mobile adverts about immigration last week, and another bonkers initiative from Michael Gove around education the previous week.

konabunny
    Free Member

It was quite expensive too, but in the middle of the afternoon maybe 1/10th of the spaces were being used.

That’s just bad parking pricing. Generally speaking you should have spaces priced so that they’re 90% occupied.

It’s worth googling Donald (?) Shoup and ideas about the “high cost of free parking”.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Of course if you park entirely on the path you can only be done be a policeman, not a traffic warden.

I think the main problem is that yellow lines, like reduced speed limits can’t be undone, there just isn’t a bureaucratic maechanism to go back to a single yellow line. For a loot of towns double yellows can only be followed by a bypass, pedestrianisation and then when all the charity shops close, bulldozers.

avdave2

We already have special areas in Brighton designed for cars to be able to stop right outside shops. They are marked with special signs on the road a little like this one.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Mind you they don’t enforce yellow lines well now, or parking on the pavement, or on a junction, or on the zig zags outside of schools. The few occasions they do people whinge about it being money making.
    Old bill and pcso wotsits regularly “walk the beat” past our local primary and i have seen them dish out the tickets on two occasions where the fat parents were late getting to school so park up bang outside on the last available bit of road which has the zig zags on it.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Sheffield is a good case of parking restrictions crushing the town centre. We live in Sheffield and if we need something we go to Meadowhall (in the car). The bus and tram takes 40 minutes to cover what, in a straight line, is a 4 mile journey (it goes a circuitous route that ends up being 10 miles).

The car takes 15 minutes to get to Meadowhall or town. The centre of town was making a bit of a come back but they’ve just tightened up the parking laws and extended the time that you have to pay- the result? Everyone goes to Meadowhall again, with all its free parking and roof, after they have spent literally millions trying to make the town centre appealing again. All for the sake of a few quid in parking.

(But this double yellow thing is another nonsense Tory do- double yellows are there for a reason)

robdob
    Free Member

Why would you want to drive into Manchester?!
    There are these things called trains, buses and, in Manchester, one of the biggest and best tram networks in the UK. There are even FREE shuttle buses from the station that just circulate all the popular areas.

If you’re going to say things about Sunday trains/buses from where you live then drive to a local station or an area with free parking and get the tram/bus/train or walk from there. On the rare occasions that I do drive, I often park up on Great Ancoats Street, it’s a 5 minute walk through the back roads to Piccadilly or Northern Quarter from there.

Hmmmm train from Huddersfield is £24 for 2 people. Plus the bus fare to my house from bus station return for 2 people is £5.60. Couple of hours to get there house to the shop I wanted to go into.

Or £3 parking and £6 diesel. No contest.

Another example, I would love to get the train to work. I live in Huddersfield and work in Leeds. Diesel is £5 and parking (when I have to pay it, sometimes I get one of the limited spaces my company provides for free) is £3.50. £8.50 total. Around 30-45 mins door to door.

Train and bus is £9.10 and £2.80 respectively, so £11.90. 80 mins door to door. No contest.

Problem is that if I went by train I’d probably go and spend money in central Leeds as I would have to walk through it to get to my work.

Cletus
    Free Member

As a cyclist I am more concerned about safety. Cars parked on double yellows reduce available space and also cause a hindrance when passengers exit and enter the cars.

I have almost been taken out more times than I can remember by idiots on double yellows opening their card doors without looking. At the moment I can give them an earbashing as they are clearly breaking the law. If this comes in then I would be the criminal for doing so and sod my safety.

A similar thing applies for pushchairs – there is a side road crossing
    near me which has double yellows but is often blocked by illegally parked cars forcing pedestrians to walk into a busy road to get around the car. I have often stuck notes saying “Thanks for parking like a moron” to the offending cars. No doubt I would again be the criminal if the law changes and this comes in.

Madness

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Parking on double yellow lines’ is closed to new replies.