Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Parking near junctions
  • samuri
    Free Member

My wife has just been on, apparently there’s just been a car crash in front of our house. Just a bump, nothing major. My wife said one of the people involved (and it seems like this is the person who is at fault), has just walked up and down the road filming the location and specifically spent a fair amount of time filming my car which is parked in front of the house.

Now the thing is, we live right in front of a junction. It’s on a housing estate and it’s very quiet but still, it is a junction. Now the highway code says DO NOT park within 10 metres of a junction rather than MUST NOT so I take that as being something that you should avoid rather than against the law. Certainly the copper who lives next door has never said anything and he parks within 10m of the junction on a regular basis.

Well then STW, what’s your perspective? Am I right about the DO NOT versus MUST NOT? I’d rather not park where I do but my wife parks on the drive and there’s no room for me to get mine on as well.

brooess
    Free Member

Sounds like the other driver is preparing to avoid taking the blame… although IANAL I would have thought a driver hitting a stationary car wherever it’s parked should have great difficulty avoiding taking the blame!

aP
    Free Member

Just make sure you get home first!
    Where I am people regularly park on and across corners and junctions. It’s become so ludicrous that they’re putting double yellows on every corner and junction. Obviously they’ll only enforce it twice a year so we’ll only be able to see to pull it of junctions or be able to safely cross roads for about 3 weeks out of every year.
    Basically, the crashee is going to attempt to say that it’s all your fault that he was forced to drive into someone else’s car.

scotroutes

As you say, the HC does not assign any Law to the DO NOT instruction…

https://www.gov.uk/waiting-and-parking/parking-239-to-247

.. so it would seem that you are legally OK.

Cougar

Capitals imply law; the relevant law will be listed under that entry in THC.

EDIT – I stand corrected, there’s no law listed under that bullet point.

samuri
    Free Member

sweet. Even if it was against the law I think they’d struggle to assign blame seeing as I was 15 miles away at the time but I guess one outcome might be she calls the cops who either issue me with a notice or tell me to move the car. Which will be a right pain. And if they do I’ll make sure they do the same to the other 4 or 5 people who park within 10m of that junction.

Ta.

retro83
    Free Member

I called the Police a couple of years ago and told them that in the morning it was becoming impossible to be safe leaving the junction at the end of the road due to the sheer volume of cars and vans parked on it blocking your view.

Their actions? Come and take a look at mid day during the week when nobody was parked there, then mark the complaint ‘closed’. I conclude from that, they don’t give a shit and you will have no problem.

marcus
    Free Member

Sorry Samuri – No beef with you personally, but as a cyclist and driver, people who park on road junctions really piss me off.

brooess
    Free Member

Sorry Samuri – No beef with you personally, but as a cyclist and driver, people who park on road junctions really piss me off.

Which leads us to the usual (and correct IMO) conclusion that we have way too many cars in the UK and need to get rid and get walking/cycling more…

It’s such an obvious problem with so many negatives for society, it’s pretty shocking so little is being done to sort it…

njee20
    Free Member

Someone regularly does this on my estate, pisses me right off. I wish someone would smash into his car, preferably at an implausibly fast speed for the estate, makes it a rather dodgy turn.

Legally though, seems you’re fine!

andyl
    Free Member

Personally I think it depends on the road width. If a road is wide enough for people to park and traffic to still drive down with a suitable distance from the parked cars and not come close to cross the central line then it is reasonable.

If the road is quite narrow then they should put road marking to prevent parking opposite or someone will end up doing it.

I posted a link to a junction in Bristol by the Uni the other day where even with “keep clear” written on the road people still park on the corners of a T junction blocking the dropped curbs and drivers and cyclists views puling out of the T.

samuri
    Free Member

Blimey, well that took a bit longer than I thought it would. STW, your standards are dropping.

Here you go then guys, here’s the junction of doom. Sorry it’s a bit dark but my aura of evil pervades the junction making it more death-inducing than normal. Yes, that’s an Audi, we are on STW after all.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/p27Qig]The junction of doom[/url] by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

I’m sure the crash was my fault despite being 15 miles away where ironically I’d cycled to like I do most days. If only I was less selfish I’d drive there every day instead. Still, lets focus on me parking in front of my own house instead of everyone who drives on the pavement and couldn’t stick to the speed limit even if it was 40mph never mind the actual limit which is 20mph. Oh, and people who cut the junction and end up smashing into another car.

piemonster

Your aura of evil is out of balance.

It’s dark skies, with lighter ground. Not the other way round.

aracer
    Free Member

Your auraof evil is out of balance.

It’s dark skies, with lighter ground. Not the other way round.

Calling Jamie…

bails

Even if it was against the law I think they’d struggle to assign blame seeing as I was 15 miles away at the time

http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/2013/2/12/court-rules-leaving-a-vehicle-in-a-hazardous-position-amounts-to-careless-driving/46180/

Drivers are being warned to take care when parking their vehicles after a case at the Court of Appeal highlighted how they don’t need to be behind the wheel to be found guilty of causing death by careless driving

Did the crash happen when a driver turned left out of the T junction and went head on into a driver passing from right to left of that photo? I get a similar thing regularly when riding. Drivers overtake when there’s a T junction on my/our right, if someone is pulling left out of the junction they often do it without looking left and have a close shave with the driver that’s overtaking me.

dudeofdoom

Don’t really see the issue with it TBH – residentials always a bit tight nowadays.

Anyway this is what you call an accident – the non junction of doom

We’ve got those clever sticky out kerbs which cause cars to fall over.
    Not entirely sold on the safety benefits of sticking stuff in the drivers path TBH.

bails

We’ve got those clever sticky out kerbs which cause cars to fall over.

I’ve driven past them loads of times and my car’s never rolled over. 😕

matt_outandabout

Why don’t you use your driveway?
    We have a house here that is same as yours, looking down junction. They have garage, and drive for two cars – yet both cars are always parked on the road, opposite white lines of junction.. 😕

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Parking near junctions’ is closed to new replies.