Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Parking in cycle lane query
  • chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Just had a go at a bloke for parking in a cycle lane on a main road near to work. It is a marked cycle lane but has no double yellow lines – can he park there? I said he can’t and he’s obviously ‘pushing’ cyclists onto the main road which is the whole point of the damn thing in the first place, but he reckons as there are no double yellows he can do what he wants.

Just wondering out of interest for the next time it happens!

thomthumb
    Free Member

i think he is right. was it solid line or dashed. if it dashed then he is definately right.

CaptJon
    Free Member

From the Highway code:

You MUST NOT stop or park on
    the carriageway or the hard shoulder of a motorway except in an emergency (see Rule 270)
    a pedestrian crossing, including the area marked by the zig-zag lines (see Rule 191)
    a clearway (see ‘Traffic signs’)
    taxi bays as indicated by upright signs and markings
    an urban clearway within its hours of operation, even when a broken white line is on your side of the road, except to pick up or set down passengers (see ‘Traffic signs’)
    a road marked with double white lines, except to pick up or set down passengers
    a tram or cycle lane during its period of operation
    a cycle track
    red lines, in the case of specially designated ‘red routes’, unless otherwise indicated by signs

DO NOT stop or park
    near a school entrance
    anywhere you would prevent access for Emergency Services
    at or near a bus or tram stop or taxi rank
    on the approach to a level crossing/tramway crossing
    opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space
    near the brow of a hill or hump bridge
    opposite a traffic island or (if this would cause an obstruction) another parked vehicle
    where you would force other traffic to enter a tram lane
    where the kerb has been lowered to help wheelchair users and powered mobility vehicles
    in front of an entrance to a property
    on a bend
    where you would obstruct cyclists’ use of cycle facilities
    except when forced to do so by stationary traffic.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

A cycle lane that is merely markings on the edge of the road with no yellow lines is fair game for parking

allthepies
    Free Member

<bobbins deleted>

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Dashed line I’m afraid. Didn’t think I had much of a case but just got p*ss*d off with dodging cars in a bloody cycle lane all the time!

druidh
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    A cycle lane that is merely markings on the edge of the road with no yellow lines is fair game for parking

That’s certainly my understanding. However…

From the Highway code:

DO NOT stop or park

where you would obstruct cyclists’ use of cycle facilities
    except when forced to do so by stationary traffic.

seems to contradict that?

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

I ride on the pavement if the cycle lane is blocked by cars

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hmmmmmmmmmm
    I guess the definition of “cycle facilities” is rather tight nad the painted on advisory lanes don’t count.

mrmuddybum
    Free Member

Cycle lanes. These are shown by road markings and signs. You MUST NOT drive or park in a cycle lane marked by a solid white line during its times of operation. Do not drive or park in a cycle lane marked by a broken white line unless it is unavoidable. You MUST NOT park in any cycle lane whilst waiting restrictions apply.

… so i guess it depends how ‘unavoidable’ it was… bit murky

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Perhaps the traffic wardens can’t ticket so its unenforceable?

druidh
    Free Member

unavoidable = except when forced to do so by stationary traffic.??

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

By the looks of it he was nipping to the shop across the road for a newspaper – quite avoidable, although I did nearly comment that a fat b*st*rd like him should be parking 100 yards up the road and getting some exercise anyway!

thegreatape
    Free Member

seems to contradict that?

It does doesn’t it. It’s because failure to obey a rule in the HC is in many cases not an offence. They are a code of practice rather than law (where a HC rule is also a law there is usually a reference). Failure to observe HC rules can be evidence of an offence, but is (often) not in itself one.

So even though the HC says don’t park in the dashed line cycle lanes, for obvious reasons of safety, common sense and courtesy, there is no law against it.

kimbers

if someone does it just take a photo on your mobile and tell em you will be sending it to the police

it will shit them up and hopefully stop them doing it again

whippersnapper
    Free Member

…or some big Police Aware stickers to slap on their windscreens, the ones that make a big mess when you try and remove them.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cycles lanes come in two falvours. Advisory, indicated by a dashed line known in the trade as a 1004 (4m gap, 2 m line). The other is a mandatory cycle lane, indicated by a solid white line. The madatory part refers to cars not being allowed in it rather than cyclists must use it.

However, an advisory lane can be enhanced with a restriction along the kerb, normally a single or double yellow line outside London.

From the sounds of it, he can park there; it’s just not very considerate to other road users.

However, if a police officer considers that the driver is causing an obstruction, he can issue for that whether or not there are road markings there.

HTH

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Anyone familiar with the cycle lane through Windermere (possibly Ambleside)? The road is about 2.5 cycle lane widths in both directions and generally busy. So there is barely half a cars width left between the edge of the cycle lane and the centre line.

So it’s impossible to drive along that road and not drive down the cycle lane as there will be something coming the other way.

SO what’s it for? I assume it’s to ‘raise awareness’ etc, which it probably does, but it’s also fairly inconsistent with the Highway Code on cycle lanes, so teaches drivers bad habits.

Odd bit of road.

Cougar

There’s a lot of it about. Cycle lanes are often ill-conceived, there’s a website dedicated to it. I’ll see if I can find it, hang on.

Cougar

Had a 40 ton truck parked on the cycle lane in Wimborne outside the model village. Blocked part of the (one way) road as well.

So I moved out to pass and ended up with a single digit exchange with the car driver behind me.

highclimber
    Free Member

It is my understanding that you (the cyclist) are allowed, in this instance, should it force you into a dangerous situation, to use the pavement.

Cougar

Is doing so in other situations against the law?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

docrobster
    Free Member

Most of the “cycle lanes” I’ve seen are bus lanes with specific times of operation. People can park in them when not operating as bus/cycle lanes but get ticketed when the clock ticks past 4.30pm etc.
    Cycle lanes are a joke in the uk

richmtb

Cycle lanes are a joke in the uk

Amen

highclimber
    Free Member

Is doing so in other situations against the law

apparently not if you are not peddling ‘furiously’ and riding aggressively. Though you might get told off by a passing policeman.

coatesy
    Free Member

Always had the decency(and cleanish tyres)not to, but really fancy leaving muddy tyre prints up and over cars that are illegally parked on cycle lanes.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Parking in cycle lane query’ is closed to new replies.