Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Parking in Cambridge??
  • Olly
    Free Member

I know its the case in many towns now, but ive never been stumped by it before; Im off to go and visit my grillfiend in Cambridge on Wednesday, and will be driving down, as will be taking 2x bikes, and a few other bits and bobs (that and the trains are criminally expensive)
    where the hell do i park?
    does everyone else avoid paying for a plot of land to deposit my motor vehicle in?
    in shrewsbury, i dump it in a quiet corner of asda, and walk to town, but in cambridge its going to cost about 30 quid per night for parking,
    residents have to PAY for parking spaces, and those who dont have cars, cant get hold of visitors permits (which cost 5 quid for 24 hrs)
    the big slab of concrete out of town, park and ride, is strictly no over night parking….

other than stump up the 100 quid for parking for 3 days, what else could i do?
    spose train isnt as expensive all of a sudden, but it would be a pain in the arse lugging all that crap around…
    i get the feeling the entire of cam has had its parking rights bought up by a private company, who now bill the crap out of any poor soul who dares to own a steel coffin. 🙁

thewombles
    Free Member

Hi where abouts in cambs are you staying ? in city center, down near mill road etc ?

willard

Be bloody careful of the bikes wherever you park. A combination of chavs and pikeys means almost instant nickage for a half-decent bike.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stumpy01

Whereabotuts are you going to be staying? Are you taking loads of stuff in the car and then unloading it? Or are you leaving it in the car?
    If it is the former, I can suggest a couple of areas (depending on what side of town you are travelling to) where you can park without a resident permit.

sofatester
    Free Member

#REPEAT#

Do not leave your bikes alone on the car for even 5 minutes! Good luck finding somewhere to park as well, it’s a mission up there.

toby1

Depends on your plan really, I have plenty of parking at my place (in Impington, North side of town) post back up here if you are still in need of a place to leave the car, but you’d need to bike/bus into town.

During the day everything possible is done to discourage people from driving in as it’s really not cut out for that many cars (lack of space and old streets in the centre) It can be a pain but you get used to it I get that a short visit is a total pain in the hole though.

And as people have said the crappier the bike you use round here the better, my old kona singlespeed still attracts attention and it’s 100% anti-bling, not even been cleaned for the last few years.

Olly
    Free Member

staying in the centre at the uni, currently looking at parking in a quiet corner of the retail park half an hours walk out of town.
    i wont have much stuff but taking a second hand ladies bike down for my miss to use at uni.
    could drop it off and then tootle out of town…
    if you know of a better place stumpy that would be good
    🙂

stumpy01

There are two places I can recommend, but I don’t know if they will be better than the place you have found. You’ll have to google map them and then take if from there….

Search for Badminton Close, Cambridge. It’s on the north side of Cambridge just off Histon Rd. You turn off Histon Road and Badminton Close runs parallel to it. Not far down the road, there is a parking bay that is recessed from the street I have just looked and you can see it on StretView in Googlemaps. There is a silver Pug 206 and two red cars parked in the space on StreetView.
    I used to live in one of the houses opposite that parking bay, parked in it every day for a yr and never had a problem. It was also never full (although that was a few yrs ago). 20 min walk into town (Henry’s end of town).

The second place is Carlton Way, which is just round the corner from badminton Close – at the end where it joins Gilbert Road. If you use streetview again and point it just into Carlton Way, you can see that on the side of the road are patchy grassy bits on the LHS of the road. They are small concrete blocky bits with grass growing between. A friend of mine used to live in the first house along that bit of road. I often used to park up on those grassy bits with no bother. There are (were) no parking restrictions along there and the grassy bits are easy wide enough for a car (as you can see there are cars parked on them further up the road). If you carry on up that road it does start getting a bit rough, but that end is OK.

Just thought of another place (and possibly the best one)….Silverwood Close in Cambridge, just off Coldhams lane (which is near a retail park called The Beehive Centre).
    It’s a very quiet cul-de-sac with parking bays that run alongside the road. It used to get fairly busy, but I lived there for a yr and could always park outside my house…they haven’t streetviewed this road yet, but it’s definitely worth a look.(If you are using SatNav, stick in #18 and it will take you to the house I used to live at). It’s only a 10-15 min walk into town from there. If you come out of there and cut down New Street, it brings you out behind the Grafton Centre by the new Court building.

Hope this helps.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Parking in Cambridge??’ is closed to new replies.