Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Parking Fine Avoidance
  • Coyote
    Free Member

So Poly, which parking company do you work for?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I disagree. Completely ignore them starting now.

Indeed. We had one, I asked on here about it at the time. We had about 5 letters, I binned the lot and now they’ve given up.

Just ignore them.

chickenman

in Edinburgh the council has taken to using tickets made out a paper that doesn’t adhere to the sticker very well. I got a £60 fine for the ticket having come unstuck even though it was lying face up on the seat.
    I took it to a parking tribunal where the adjudicator agreed with me that the sticker adheres fine to any paper, except that used in ticket machines (I brought in several examples, suspecting, rightly as it turned out, that the council wouldn’t bother supplying the origional ticket which I had sent them as evidence!)
    Mysteriously, I have not heard if I am to be let off; Presumably the council don’t want everybody who ever got a parking ticket saying that theirs must have fallen off as well!

BoardinBob

The only possible defence is he wasn’t driving. (In fact since the Charge Notice will first be sent to his wife, that is her “defence”). The court only needs to establish on the balance of probability who entered the contract – given that the OP travelled on a ferry from the adjacent port, purchased a ticket using a credit card at their machine, and has admitted on the internet to parking their then I think there is enough evidence who entered the contract if the parking company can be bothered. The other common defences are likely to be invalid if the company is running a genuine parking business (as it appears) rather than a scam.

Wrong. PPCs fall down in multiple areas and prey on the ignorance of their victims.

poly
    Free Member

Wrong. PPCs fall down in multiple areas and prey on the ignorance of their victims.

But the company in question are a credible / professional company and the OP clearly intended to enter a contract with them.

higgo
    Free Member

But the company in question are a credible / professional company

No, they’re not.

BoardinBob

But the company in question are a credible / professional company and the OP clearly intended to enter a contract with them.

You either work for a PPC or you’re sadly deluded

poly
    Free Member

So Poly, which parking company do you work for?

I don’t work for a parking company. I live in the real world where if I use a service I expect to pay for it. I’ve picked up a few parking fines in my time too and accept that they are my own fault (unless they are malicious – i’ve fought and won one where I couldn’t have known restrictions were in place).

There are a few people here encouraging the OP or his wife to commit perjury and generally suggesting that breach of contract is acceptable. I’m simply presenting the counter argument. With the government in England (catching up with Scotland) planning to ban clamping you can expect to find an increased emphasis on this method of enforcement. If as you are all suggesting everyone should just ignore all charges then its only a matter of time before the government have to enable them to enforce parking charges in some other way – which can’t be good for anyone.

BoardinBob

You clearly don’t know anything about contract law

aracer
    Free Member

I live in the real world where if I use a service I expect to pay for it.

As did the OP – hence why he bought a valid ticket. Charging him more than that because of a failure in their procedures is unreasonable. I’d be surprised if a judge didn’t take the same viewpoint even if the parking company could provide sufficient proof of all the other details they need to cover.

There are a few people here encouraging the OP or his wife to commit perjury

Oh yes, who and how? Personally I’m simply suggesting his wife writes back to say she’s not going to tell them who the driver was, which would be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

If as you are all suggesting everyone should just ignore all charges then its only a matter of time before the government have to enable them to enforce parking charges in some other way

Why exactly do they “have to”? The fact they’re planning on getting rid of private clamping would suggest very strongly that the political tide is heading in completely the opposite direction.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Parking Fine Avoidance’ is closed to new replies.