Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Parking fine again, what to do?
  • chewkw
    Free Member

I pity all the shops where their livelihood is bureaucratically reduced by the jealous parking company(s). 🙄

BoardinBob

You get an extortionate fine.

When did the law change to allow private companies to issue fines for breach of contract?

iolo
    Free Member

When did the law change to allow private companies to issue fines for breach of contract?

fine/ticket/demanding your first born/whatever you wish to call it. I’m no lawyer.

TheFlyingOx

OP. Ignore all the pious finger-waggers and read this.

Appeal via the POPLA process and then await either a) ticket dismissed, or b) day in court to see ticket dismissed.

ourmaninthenorth

fine/ticket/demanding your first born/whatever you wish to call it. I’m no lawyer.

Quite so. Suggest you back up sharpish before you look even more foolish.

Read the judgments from the two cases posted above. They set out clearly the failings in the “legal process” and the potential criminal implications for personnel at one if these companies for their actions.

I am a lawyer. HTH.

iolo
    Free Member

Day in court is all well and good. You need to take a holiday so one day less of your annual allowance. That’s a day’s salary you’ve lost standing in court arguing the toss for 60 quid. The ticket will be dismissed but why bother. It was your fault.
    If you’re on a day off a bike ride would be better.

BoardinBob

Won’t get anywhere near court. Simple win at POPLA. If it does get to court, claim for costs and loss of earnings. Rub some salt into the parking company’s wound.

ourmaninthenorth

It was your fault.

It’s your fault a bunch if charlatans abuse the scarce legal resources we have and bully people? Nice. Remind me not to ask you for a favour “tough shit – it’s your fault”.

Or do you own a “parking company”? 😀

iolo
    Free Member

I have my own lawyer thanks 😀
    Who wants to set up a car parking company with me? We’ll be millionaires
    8)

Ourmaninthenorth, are you in? We’ll give Apcoa a run for their money.

ourmaninthenorth

Deal. But any failure to pay my fees will result in an instant 1,000,000% administrative fee compounded hourly…. 😉

takisawa2

One of the technicalities that many of these cases fail on if they reach court is that employing firms like private parking contractors can actually be against the planning consent granted for the use of the land, that it breaks the terms of the contract between the Landowner & Tenant & sometimes even the private parking firm’s own contract with the Landowner (if such a contract exists in any meaningful form).
    Rarely gets that far because POPLA kick it out or folk pay up.

Pedantic moral high ground ascension aside, at the bullying letters stage, its no more than 5 or 10 mins work to send off a letter or two.

hora
    Free Member

So what should the landowner do?

How do you stop people using your carpark for freeparking?

Its like everything- people only complain when they are caught. The only grind is the level of charge.

I’ve had two parking tickets- for being late back…and one cheeky bus lane trip. Tough.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

That’s a day’s salary you’ve lost standing in court arguing the toss for 60 quid. The ticket will be dismissed but why bother. It was your fault.

The (eminently more qualified than you) judge in the Bristol case dismissed the case and also awarded costs to the lady that turned up to defend her ticket. Did you even read it?

29erKeith
    Free Member

How do you stop people using your carpark for freeparking?

With these companies it doesn’t seem to be about that, it’s about a revenue stream in itself and their primary one at that.

If it was about that they’d do as I said earlier as the other local supermarket does with an attendant tapping in reg’s into a handheld looking for abuse of the parking. Not just looking to slap tickets on genuine shoppers, who naively thought he’d not need to bother with a ticket past 6 O’clock in an empty car park.

You’re right Hora it’s the stupid fee, if it was £10-20 I’d not have batted an eye lid and paid it but the fee’s are just stupid and the way they deal with people in general is awful and I’m the one who’s morals are questioned 🙄

Thanks for all the helpful comments guys

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Parking fine again, what to do?’ is closed to new replies.