• This topic has 52 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • parking fine
  • monkeyninja
    Free Member

My delivery driver has just received a parking fine whilst delivering to a customer, he parked in a metered space and never paid. Who pays me or him?

jam-bo

Would you pay his speeding fine?

Drac

Were you driving?

Do you want to piss him off or look like a good employer and offer him a one time only offer to pay it?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    johndoh
    Free Member

What does it say in his terms of employment about motoring fines whilst on business duties?

cranberry
    Free Member

You’re kidding right ?

The clue is in the term “parking fine”

The person who did the parking gets the fine.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I’d contest it.

toppers3933
    Free Member

I agree with drac. Tell him this once you’ll cover it. Any more and he’s on his own. Unless he’s done it before. Then tough tits.
    It’s your responsibility to provide him with a safe and legal vehicle. It’s his responsibility to ensure he doesn’t break any laws/rules while using it. Imo.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’d contest it.

Me too. He was only delivering. It’s worth a shot. They can only say no.

scotroutes

Do you pay his parking charges?

monkeyninja
    Free Member

It’s his 1st ticket, they are militant in Glasgow about stopping in metered spaces and not paying. Will see what he says when he gets back if he offers to pay I won’t object.

ninfan
    Free Member

Did the parking warden record any observation time?

Given he was supposed to be delivering, how long did he park it there for?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure that if he was away from the van for less than 5 minutes then you’ll have good grounds to successfully appeal. Any time outside that 5 minutes which was spent actively unloading wouldn’t be counted in the parked time.

monkeyninja
    Free Member

It is the fact it was in a metered space not a loading bay that is the issue I think, I will find out when he returns.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

It matters not.

ninfan
    Free Member

I’m sure you could also argue that if he was delivering, then it would be perfectly reasonable to use an available parking space for a few minutes rather than hold up traffic by parking on a double yellow (which of course he is allowed to do for loading and unloading)

monkeyninja
    Free Member

Nice one I like the sound of the grounds for appeal, I may contest it just to see if I can win. If I end up losing and paying it, is it tax deductible?

spacemonkey

Follow the procedures in the Newbies thread on the MSE parking fines forum.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

is it tax deductible?

Depends. Personally, I wouldn’t (firstly, because I don’t really think it’s the right thing to do), unless it was a huge proportion of my business costs, in which case, I’d have accountants and legal eagles to fight it for me. I think that generally, HMRC don’t really like you claiming tax relief on them. As a small business, I tend not to draw attention to myself – it only encourages them to snoop around and then they won’t stop until they find something else.

BoardinBob

Follow the procedures in the Newbies thread on the MSE parking fines forum.

Which is for private tickets.

This appears to be a council ticket. completely different.

crazybaboon

When I used to be a delivery driver, my employer used to pay any parking tickets that were issued.
    Of course if there was another place available to park that wouldn’t atract a ticket, we would be expected to use that
    Plus at the time the vehicle owner got the ticket not the driver, so he didn’t have much choice!
    We always used to get a ticket in Birkenhead, had to pull up on double yellows, ring a bell to get the shop to open the yard gates so I could reverse the lorry in, by the time got back to the cab there’s a ticket on it and no traffic warden in sight!

johndoh
    Free Member

My wife has just been ticketed – we live in Harrogate where there is a disc parking system – you use the disk to indicate the arrival time.

Like this one

However the car didn’t have a disk in (we’d had a clear out and accidentally binned it) so she wrote a hand-written note to indicate her arrival time and was ticketed for ‘not displaying a correct disk’. Seems really harsh to me – she hadn’t overstayed and had displayed it where is should be – it simply wasn’t one of ‘their’ parking disks displaying the arrival time.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

You have committed an offence if: You park and fail to display the disc….

johndoh
    Free Member

But the disk only serves to display what time the vehicle was parked. She displayed the time the vehicle was parked.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I didn’t make up the rules.

aracer
    Free Member

jobsworth

johndoh
    Free Member

Really pissed off about it, been a lifelong resident and we all have written notes on bits of paper from time to time for the occasions where we didn’t have disks (all shops in disk zones are meant to stock the disks but in reality only a handful do) and no-one I know has ever been fined for it.

Gonna contest it though – not sure how they can fine her when she was parked correctly and hadn’t overstayed her time. She simply didn’t use the correct medium for displaying her arrival time.

takisawa2

Sack him.
    Send a warning shot across the bows of your empire.
    If he’s your only employee, might be a bit counter productive.

Go halfs on it, but till him it’s a one time offer.

jota180
    Free Member

We get 2 per year paid by my employer

Trying to do work in city centres can be a nightmare and in some places it borders on almost impossible to even drop kit and tools off without getting ticketed, hence the 2 per year policy.

bigyinn
    Free Member

johndoh – Member

Really pissed off about it, been a lifelong resident and we all have written notes on bits of paper from time to time for the occasions where we didn’t have disks (all shops in disk zones are meant to stock the disks but in reality only a handful do) and no-one I know has ever been fined for it.

Gonna contest it though – not sure how they can fine her when she was parked correctly and hadn’t overstayed her time. She simply didn’t use the correct medium for displaying her arrival time.
    How would the warden know you were a resident and not some out of town chancer trying it on?

irc

From the driver’s point of view I’d suggest either the employer reimburses parking charges or if not pays the fines.

If meter charges are paid and the driver just didn’t bother then down to him. If my employer wouldn’t pay so I could park legally or agree to pay the ticket the job wouldn’t get done.

johndoh
    Free Member

How would the warden know you were a resident and not some out of town chancer trying it on?

I don’t think it matters at all though does it? As long as the driver has self-certified the arrival time, I don’t see how anyone could try it on, other than by putting a wrong time down which is equally achievable on a parking disk as it is on a piece of paper.

ThePinkster

all shops in disk zones are meant to stock the disks but in reality only a handful do

I was in town in Northumberland one Sunday this summer (sorry can’t remember which one) and they have parking disc system in place but all the shops selling them are closed on Sunday even though the restrictions remain.

Luckily we didn’t get caught.

jota180
    Free Member

I don’t think it matters at all though does it? As long as the driver has self-certified the arrival time, I don’t see how anyone could try it on, other than by putting a wrong time down which is equally achievable on a parking disk as it is on a piece of paper.

I agree

The fact that you can use a disc from any council in any other area sort of confirms that they don’t need a specific disc, merely a time recording of when you arrived + a little bit for luck 😉

PePPeR

We have to pay for all our parking fines, but I contest each and every one, I get a copy of the invoice from where I was delivering, blank all the values out and send it to the appeal, I also get our company to provide the tracking data showing how long I was parked up for, (one of the times the dammed things comes in handy)…

A great place for advice in this type of thing is here.

http://www.pepipoo.com/FAQ.htm

gwaelod
    Free Member

I drive in the course of my job. If I broke the law whilst driving during the course of my job I would have to pay any fine…and I would expect to be subject to my organisations disciplinary procedures… Multiple offences mean I would be retrained, or taken off driving..if not sacked. I would never expect to have fines paid for me.

Drac

I was in town in Northumberland one Sunday this summer (sorry can’t remember which one) and they have parking disc system in place but all the shops selling them are closed on Sunday even though the restrictions remain.

That would be in the towns under where I live. You don’t need them on a Sunday but most of the Newsagents have them as do many other shops, loads of which are open on a Sunday. There’s not many shops closed on s Sunday.

lemonysam
    Free Member

That would be in the towns under where I live.

They only apply in Alnwick, Berwick, Hexham and Morpeth. I can’t say that any of them have ever been shut on a sunday when we’ve visited.

Drac

Amble too I think but yes a majority of shops are open.

nealglover
    Free Member

It makes no difference.

It’s not a residents only scheme anyway, and the disks are free.

Anyone can get one.

taxi25
    Free Member

If the driver had fed the meter and you’d have reimbursed him the money, and he knew that was company policy then he pays the fine. If you don’t pay for parking charges as necessary then the company should pay the fine. If I was a delivery driver and couldn’t park legally and the company didn’t pay fines I’d just bring the load back to the depot. Would that work for you ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘parking fine’ is closed to new replies.