Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Parking Charge Notice
  • donsimon
    Free Member

I didn’t know about the penalty no.

And that’s your legal defence. You can demonstrate that there are no clearly placed warnings or signs that could be easily seen warning you of the consequences of not paying and equally the mechanism for paying was difficult/impossible to find.
    Sounds like you’ve got excellent grounds for challenging and winning.
    You know, as well, that ignorance isn’t a legal defence, don’t you?

Don Simon +1.

I’m keeping hold of this for the future. 😀

restless
    Free Member

I pay taxes too thank you 🙂

I didn’t intentionally not pay the car park fee either.

Strange how some people are happy to ignore these notices, but depending on where they are issued from!

donsimon
    Free Member

I pay taxes too thank you

So did Jimmy Carr and look what happened to him. 😕

IanMunro
    Free Member

I forgot to pay the car park fee and there was a notice on my car when I returned for £50!

I would gladly pay the original car park fee, but I am not going to pay £50.

The use of the word ‘would’ indicates that you haven’t. Had you say got back found the penalty notice, then stuck the original amount of money in the meter, then ignored the notice, that would have been awesome!!!
    But you didn’t 😀

restless
    Free Member

The use of the word ‘would’ indicates that you haven’t. Had you say got back found the penalty notice, then stuck the original amount of money in the meter, then ignored the notice, that would have been awesome!!!
    But you didn’t

No I didn’t. Never even thought to do that tbh. I had already received the notice so was a bit too late to try and wiggle out if it.

piemonster

Strange how some people are happy to ignore these notices, but depending on where they are issued from!

It’s not strange at all, if you get a “fine” from the Police or Council it is exactly that, a fine. Additionally you actually have a reasonable appeals process.

If it is issued by a Private Parking Company it is technically a “speculative invoice” and a different kettle of fish. To which there is no reasonable appeal process. I have never heard of a single successful appeal against a ticket given by a Private company. It’s worth remembering that there business model often can only work if they issue and receive the income from ticketing cars. If you pick up a ticket in what should free car parking area, how do you think they are making money?

IanMunro
    Free Member

No I didn’t. Never even thought to do that tbh. I had already received the notice so was a bit too late to try and wiggle out if it.

I wouldn’t have done so either!

johnners
    Free Member

I pay taxes too thank you

So did Jimmy Carr and look what happened to him.

JImmy Carr promptly apologised and acted contrite, and seems to have totally turned round the initila adverse publicity he got.

And he’s still got all the money he should have paid in tax.

donsimon
    Free Member

But it didn’t do much for his reputation though. I think he’s a bigger __________ than he was before. (Probably a poor example too).

zokes
    Free Member

I think he’s a bigger __________ than he was before.

I’m sure he cried a little when he read this 🙄

donsimon
    Free Member

I’m sure he cried a little when he read this 🙄

Bless you, zokes.

poly
    Free Member

If she gets another (which is likely as she doesn’t like street parking at night in Leeds) it’ll be going in the bin.

Might not be quite so easy with her own employer (i.e. NHS).

(1) Could be very hard to deny that they have made you properly aware of the contractual terms / rules for parking on their land. And possibly even worse if you’ve paid one in the past.
    (2) On the balance of probabilities I think it might be hard to convince a court that you were not the driver if:
    – the vehicle is registered in her name
    – she was rota’d to be working at that time
    – she doesn’t provide any justification as to who else might have been using her vehicle with a reasonable reason to be parked there at that time.

piemonster

My gripe with Private Parking Companies is based around the total lack of an appeals process, and the usually ridiculous cost of the Invoice you get ticketed with.

There is no human for human error with PPC’s, where as with Councils you can actually appeal and usually expect a reasonable consideration by there appeals department. If you appeal against a PPC, it’s just NO F%^K OFF, but thanks for telling us who the driver was. That’ll be £120 for parking where you was supposed to be parking but in ever such a slightly incorrect way.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Might not be quite so easy with her own employer (i.e. NHS).

You do have a point there admittedly.

It’s just a pain in the arse/wallet when she is supposed to pay £16.40 per shift just to park the car at her workplace! She doesn’t even meet the ‘criteria’ to apply for a permit (a bargain at £40 a month) & no-one seems to know exactly what the criteria actually is anyway!
    We don’t have a problem paying to park anywhere else, including as a visitor at say, Harrogate Hospital, which wev’e done plenty of in the past, but £16.40 just for turning up?

globalti
    Free Member

The nub of it is that private parking “fines” are extortion, nothing more, nothing less.

In parking on private land you enter a contract with the owner and if you break that contract they have the right in law to try to seek redress from you. It is proper that this right exists because private land is often abused by overnight stayers, pikeys etc.

If I broke the terms of the civil contract and they said to me “OK that’s a fiver, which is a contribution to our costs in maintaining the car park for your benefit” I would pay to get them off my back and because I knew I was in the wrong in some way. However the moment they write me a threatening letter trying to frighten me into paying them £180, they become opportunistic extortionists and they lose any tiny moral high ground they may have held, which is when I will resist out of principle.

piemonster

Agreed Globalti

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Parking Charge Notice’ is closed to new replies.