Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Parking and the Natural History Museum
  • marko75
    Free Member

Thinking of driving to the museum on new years day with the family – can anyone recommend a cheap car park for the day?

Thanks

djglover
    Free Member

Should be good on a single yellow on the BH, right close by in a side street

marko75
    Free Member

djg, BH?

br
    Free Member

can anyone recommend a cheap car park for the day?

What, cheap or cheap for West London? 😆

Closest one I know is the corner of Queens Gate and Harrington Road.

CountZero

Kings Mall, Hammersmith and Tube in. You avoid the congestion zone out there. And the traffic.

bland

It’s not in the congestion zone, I asked the same question a couple of months back. We just parked on the road next to the museum and paid the meter, about £4 per hour to 4 hrs then free from 6 or 6.30pm. Its expensive but then so is parking and getting the tube and bits a hassle with kids. Wasn’t really much traffic and it was a Friday evening!

bland

marko75
    Free Member

bland – thanks for this. Didn’t search as I thought that this was a bizarre question. Guess I am not the only one who asks strange questions!

CountZero

London can so easily fool you, I honestly thought the BM was well inside the congestion zone. Just goes to show… 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Congestion con doesn’t run on Bank Holidays, IIRC. So, head in to town, towards Chelsea or Westminster. Try and find a nice single yellow line and then park on it. Walk, or take a bus, or dependent on the age of the kids, Boris bike it to the NHM.

Good spot for lunch is the Admiral Codrington, not too far away, hidden in a little back street. The pork is always sublime. Oh, and they have a very decent house claret.

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

best kept parking secret in London is……. Westfield White city…. £6.50 ALL DAY! and loads of public transport connectivity! BOOM! Thank me in beer.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

best kept parking secret in London is……. Westfield White city…. £6.50 ALL DAY!

I’d say the myriad single yellow lines providing free parking that are actually in London, rather than out there in the ‘burbs are better. But that’s just me. 🙂

bobbyspangles

Thought of going there yesterday. 90min queue so enjoyed a stress free wander through the parks instead.

onewheelgood

When we go to the museums or to the RAH I usually park in the park. Pretty cheap and I usually find a space near the Serpentine Gallery. Also, you can book parking at Imperial on weekends and holidays.

Sui
    Free Member

I was there on Sunday. There is a road of Cromwell street (one of the entrances to nhm) that further down has parking in the middle, it’s free on Sundays and bank holidays. 5 min walk to nhm,sm, v&a.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

London can so easily fool you, I honestly thought the BM was well inside the congestion zone. Just goes to show…

It is, but the NHM ain’t.

toppers3933
    Free Member

CountZero i think you’re getting the british museum and the natural history museum mixed up. the natural history museum is outside the congestion zone. the british museum is inside it.

geoffj

I was there on Sunday. There is a road of Cromwell street (one of the entrances to nhm) that further down has parking in the middle, it’s free on Sundays and bank holidays. 5 min walk to nhm,sm, v&a.

There is parking in the middle of exhibition road.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I was there on Monday. An hours queue to get in; and another hour queuing inside to do the dinosaur bit.

So I would sya, get there early. We did the IWM first; which may have been a grave tactical error.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Just seen this. Tons of parking around there and as its a BH the single yellow lines are free.

CountZero

CountZero i think you’re getting the british museum and the natural history museum mixed up. the natural history museum is outside the congestion zone. the british museum is inside it.

You’re probably right, I’ve never driven into the city itself to need to worry about it, I always park out at Hammersmith and Tube, because it’s dead easy to get back onto the M4 for home, and I’m always going to different venues when I go up there, so it’s just easier to head to the first convenient multi-story that’s close to the Toob.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Parking and the Natural History Museum’ is closed to new replies.