Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Park [ tool] disappointment
  • FOG

Shortening a chain in the garage last night I couldn't find my chain breaker so had to delve in the pack to get my Park small breaker [CT something] which has been used 2 or 3 times max and is carried on every ride in case of emergency.The pin on the little varmint was well bent and useless for the job in hand. I thought Park were supposed to be the best but I think a fail from such ltd careful use is pretty poor.Anybody suggest a pack friendly chain tool that isn't going to cry enough after a couple of chains broken?

takisawa2

Have split chains probably dozen or more times with the little tool on my TopPeak Hummer multi-tool. No problems.

gee
    Free Member

Workman? Tools?

Seriously… Get the proper Park one with the blue plastic handle – they're £30 or so. Mine's done countless chains and is fine.

carlos
    Free Member

Not everybodys choice but my CB19 has mended a few in its time without any issues

crispybacon
    Free Member

a mate contacted Park Tools direct in the USA & explained the problem with the pin & they sent him a new one FOC……. might be worth an email?

tails
    Free Member

I really like pedros shop standard chain breaker so if I was to buy a breaker for on the move I would also look there, they make this neat quick release chain breaker plus a multi tool one have a look.

MrNutt
    Free Member

toppeak is the bees knees

hitman
    Free Member

I've got one that's superb and I bought for £7 but there's no brand name on it – sorry!

JoB
    Free Member

one of these…

?

i've been using one of them as my workshop chain-breaker for years, you must have done something ham-fisted

go to your LBS, you can get spare pins

tails
    Free Member

What i find with cast chain breakers is the casting breaks.

flamejob
    Free Member

[annoying nasal voice] What you really want is one of theeese [/annoying nasal voice]

Though I can never remember how to make it.

kaiser
    Free Member

totally agree FOG …I had the CT something or another and it failed very quickly …POS really .In fact of all the budget tools I own I think it was the most disappointing.yes the pin bent
    hang on ..was it this one? :http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=5&item=CT-5#
    if you read the blurb I think they've upgraded the pin (not when I bought mine though 👿

grumm
    Free Member

I've used mine quite a bit and let it get all rusty but I've never had a problem with it, seems very sturdy to me.

TimothyD
    Free Member

The pin on my crank brothers 17 multi tool chain tool is really thick and look's like it won't break for a long time, if at all hopefully, it's small-electrical-screw-driver-shaft thick, I use it each time I need to break a chain and it's still fine after a few years and approx ten chains.

It's not too good for ten speed chains, according to Cycling Plus, but it's fine for nine speed chains which is what I use it on.

Tim

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I have 2 old Park CT-5s which have given me years of good service, i also have a new CT-3 which has a chrome plated pin, guess this is the "uprated" version.

The pin cannot be made significantly thicker as it won't fit through the holes in the chain.

The chain tool on my Topeak multitool is ok but suffers from a lack of leverage.

Shimano chains seem to need the most torque to shift the chain pins.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Park [ tool] disappointment’ is closed to new replies.