Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Paris – Brest – Paris…2015?
  • Lifer
    Free Member

After watching a little documentary on this the other night I’ve been trying to find some more info. Understand you have to pre-register and then do a number of rides of increasing distance but does anyone know when this happens?

And has anyone on here done it/fancy doing it in 2015?

joemarshall
    Free Member

The rides are through Audax UK

http://www.aukweb.net/pbp/index.htm

Lifer
    Free Member

Cool. Still info on the 2011 one on there but looks like the qualifying rides are just earlier in the year (which makes sense).

Browsing around I have found London – Edinburgh – London, 28/07-02/08/13 which interests me.

http://londonedinburghlondon.com/

damitamit
    Free Member

You need to complete a Super Randonneur Series in the same year as PBP to qualify. That involves a 200, 300, 400 & 600km audax.

I’m planning on doing PBP in 2015 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

Understand you have to pre-register and then do a number of rides of increasing distance but does anyone know when this happens?

I *think* you have to do all your qualifying rides in the year of the race itself – something like 200, 300, 400, 600 km rides.

lazybike
    Free Member

good info here

Lifer
    Free Member

Nice one lazybike will have to get involved in some audaxes(sp?) over the next few months to see if it’s for me 😀

SimonT
    Free Member

Yes I did it once, 1995 so not recently. Great experience but as a ride the route was actually a little dull compared with the Welsh audaxes I was used to. Found it had an awful lot of hoops to jump through (and expense) just to get to the start compared with something like LEL. Very glad I did it, just never fancied doing it again!

Some folks do PBP on just the qualifiers but advice I’d give is start doing a hilly SR every year as soon as possible, with a double SR PBP year.

Lifer
    Free Member

SR? Stage race?

phil.w
    Free Member

There’s a good article on training for the PBP here

kcr
    Free Member

My club has quite a few riders who have completed multiple PBPs, so there is definitely something about the event that makes them keep going back. It is a serious undertaking, so I would aim to get a couple of seasons of Audaxes under your belt to learn about riding long distances and find out what works best for you.
    Best idea is to get involved with Audax UK, ride some events and chat to people to find out more. I have not ridden any Audaxes for a few years now, but have always found Audax people to be a very unpretentious, friendly bunch. It’s a different scene from the modern sportive world – fewer pretend pros on top-end carbon race blades. As a generalisation, Audax riders are more old-school, hard core mile eaters, with a pragmatic, tried and trusted approach to cycling and equipment (because you have to be self sufficient and have reliable stuff that will keep you going for hundreds of km).
    Great event to aim for – good luck!

Lifer
    Free Member

phil.w – Member
    There’s a good article on training for the PBP here

😆

Yeah read that yesterday, after watching the documentary on thursday last week thought it was a touch serendipitous so thought I’d investigate further.

Lifer
    Free Member

Thanks kcr, quite a few audaxes near me so will check the diary when I get home and get a couple booked.

SimonT
    Free Member

sorry- SR = Super Randonneur. Its an Audax UK thing – a series of rides: 200, 300, 400 & 600km
    PBP is an awfully long ride in not a lot of days so the more used to long days riding you have the better.

Lifer
    Free Member

FYI heres the video I watched (definitely class it as a ‘teaser’)

[video]http://vimeo.com/34120002[/video]

And the one that linked me to it, about a guy riding across Canada (which I really enjoyed – “Watch out for the bear!”)

[video]http://vimeo.com/3451015[/video]

Lifer
    Free Member

SimonT – Member
    sorry- SR = Super Randonneur. Its an Audax UK thing – a series of rides: 200, 300, 400 & 600km
    PBP is an awfully long ride in not a lot of days so the more used to long days riding you have the better.

Noted!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Paris – Brest – Paris…2015?’ is closed to new replies.