Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Parents – How much riding do your kids actually do?
  • ski
    Free Member

More curious than anything, wondering what age, distance/time do you kids put into cycling?

Ta.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

2yr old and 3yr old do around 5-6hrs/wk on their bikes. Must do 30-40ish miles in that time i suppose. Cheap way of keeping them entertained and knackering them out.

flatfish
    Free Member

2yr old and 3yr old do around 5-6hrs/wk on their bikes. Must do 30-40ish miles in that time i suppose

Don’t be daft, most people on here couldn’t do 30-40 miles a week on here and they think they’re cycling gods! 😉

PJM1974
    Free Member

12 year old twin stepsons. One of them is type 1 diabetic.

I generally take the non-type one to the point where he stops behaving like an argumentitive little trud, then I know it’s job done.

Bizarrely the type one diagnosed lad will happily pedal all day and doesn’t seem to get tired.

chriswilk
    Free Member

10, 8 and 2 yr old. in the summer a ride with me of about 2 hours once a week or so, but playing around the park, etc most days on the bikes.
    Winter, no park playing and a bit less with me – mainly because the 2yr old gets really cold sat in the seat.

snakebite
    Free Member

9 and 12 year old here, they ride every weekend until they stop crying.

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

My son is 10 1/2 years old and I only recently got him to really enjoy biking and especially so since he has just grown tall enough to use my Epic full-suss. We live on a steep hill and up until now the steepness of the hill has been a problem rather than an incentive but yesterday that all changed as my son rode down Linnets clough without putting a foot down(rocky and long descent near Marple for those who aren’t familiar with it). I’m a very proud mum! Just have to get him to cycle up it now…

Jase
    Free Member

2yr old and 3yr old do around 5-6hrs/wk on their bikes. Must do 30-40ish miles in that time i suppose

lol, doubt your 2 year old can average 8mph, or is this in a trailer!

My daughter has just turned 7 and rides to school, about 2 mile round trip.

At weekends we’ll ride to the swings, anything up to 10 miles and she races in the summer.

rkk01
    Free Member

8 & 10. They’re good for 18-20 or so miles

ski
    Free Member

My daughter has just turned 7 and rides to school, about 2 mile round trip.

At weekends we’ll ride to the swings, anything up to 10 miles and she races in the summer.

That’s pretty much what my 7 year old does too, apart from the racing that is 😉

wrightyson
    Free Member

Did about 7 or 8 miles on Sunday, 5 and 8 yr old. Split up with a picnic and play in the park! Lovely day! Currently going about trying to get the school to out in a bike shelter so they can ride to and from school!

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

lol, doubt your 2 year old can average 8mph, or is this in a trailer!

They can easily do 5mph though. Not in a trailer.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

My 9 year old has had no problems riding 15 miles for the last couple of years. I’ve not taken him further but if I did I suspect motivation would be the problem more than tiredness.
    He’s big enough to ride 26inch wheels now so I built him a 14inch framed singlespeed for his last birthday as he always refused to change gear on his last bike. On the way home from cubs this week he managed to spin up to 21mph on 32:20.

trb
    Free Member

My 3 yr old will happily do a 2 mile round trip to the shops & park most days on his balance bike. Especially as the alternative is for him to walk the same distance!

I think 4 miles is the biggest distance he’s done on a family walk

MikeWW
    Free Member

When I started my sons were 11 and 13. We ended up riding every Saturday and Sunday plus the odd night ride. I guess typical rides were about 20 miles or so. These days, nearly 3 years on my oldest now 16 is probably riding about 12 hours a week-mostly road and interval work at this time of year.Probably does 150 miles a week. The younger one is about half that in terms of time and a bit less distance wise

Coleman
    Free Member

13 year old son:
    Rides fixie to school plus extended ride home – 1hr / day
    Cyclocross training one evening / week – 2hrs
    MTB ride one evening / week with Dad – 2hrs
    Cyclocross Race Saturdays – 2hrs inc. practice/warm up
    Saturday (when not racing) BMX with mates – up to 7hrs (includes much hanging out)
    Sunday – more BMX/Fixie or occasional MTB/Road ride with the ‘old man’

Summer schedule includes even more looning around on bikes, although I’m sure current enthusiasm will wain in a few years when he discovers beer and girls!

aracer
    Free Member

3 year old out on his bike most days – at one point I think he managed a month of riding every day. No idea of distance, or even time he actually spends riding as it’s mostly up and down our little bit of road – don’t care much either.

ianv
    Free Member

7 yr old, rides to school and back most days. BMX club twice a week and messes around with on jumps/quarries whenever he gets the chance. Summer we ride downhill and we were probably doing 40-50km per day, lift assisted. BUT he is really not into anything that goes up or long distances so 10 miles max, but not very often.

D0NK

Son’s 13months old now and I don’t think he’s managed a mile in total, lazy little bleeder. I know he’s not managed the length of the front room on this yet

Admittedly he does hold on to the backrest and pushes it along using it as a walking aid but that doesn’t count.

EDIT anyone seen this? Nasty stuff was on the news a colleague reckoned the 7yo kid shouldn’t be out riding on the road on his own (wasn’t mitigating the dog walkers idiocy)

richpips
    Free Member

The most mine have done in a day (5 and 8 ) is 34 miles.

Over the summer I guess they were doing 60 miles a week.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Until the summer hols my nipper (8 at the time) was doing ten to fifteen miles on a Saturday and another four or five mid week.

thomthumb
    Free Member

got mine winding down for the winter now.

lots of cross training; running and swimming – mostly unstructured, to keep the base up.
    one interval session
    one endurance session.

back onto the training regime come december.

vinnyeh

3 (boy) and 5(girl). Go to a park or common most days for a couple of hours, rain or shine, since neither of them are at school yet. They just like riding around, prefer to ride in mud, puddles or bits of rolling stuff than actually try to go anywhere. Got an empty pool locally as well that’s got a sculpted bottom, with rollers, and tiny drops, which they love. I’m happy to tag along with them.
    Done a few longer rides with them, round Surrey and the South Downs, but always take the kiddie trailer, and they sit in that, with the bikes bungeed on the back, for the ups, and ride the downs. 😕

edit: lol at tomthumb. I’m guessing that’s when they’re not up chimneys or down mines.

Junkyard
    Free Member

FFS smee BS about your kids now.. why do you do this it is very odd behaviour even for here. Are they going for the nonstop LEJOG with you?

emac65
    Free Member

At 12 & 13 my lads could easily do 25-30 miles & hold a decent average pace of about 7-8 mph too as long as they had plenty of food to keep their energy levels up.Both were very good technically as well,I had high hopes for them.Five years on & neither of them ride as they are more interested in cars,drinking & women ! !

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

15.5 miles yesterday with my aforementioned 9 year old on mainly hard packed trails with a few squidgy bits mixed in. Wifey dropped us off after a family day out and we rode home with a brief pub stop half way.

marc
    Free Member

On holidays my two, boy 10 and girl 13, will happily do 2 to 3 hour rides around forestry tracks and similar terrain. Say 10 miles tops?

At home the daughter has now discovered horses so is rarely seen at weekends, while my lad will still go out for similar rides if he’s at a loose end. But mainly he’s playing cricket/footy etc. So that ride may be once a month or so.

But, if you go at a steady pace with a few snacks or picnic, they can do quite a lot.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Oh great, w illy waving thread 😉

Well my son used to love biking untill he got bored of it. He uses his bike to ride to the local park to play football. I bought him the best bike i could and encouraged him to cycle but he has no interest. Probably rides a couple of miles a week tops. That said, in the summer he rode 40mls with me for charity in one day along the Hadrians wall sustrans route so he cant be too bad.

My 3yr old little girl though is in training for the olympics. She currently averages about 1mile per day racing me ‘around the block’ which is a little loop we have devised. Its great FUN (The most important thing) and if she shows some talent well i will encourage her. Trouble is she has to look after her dollies which means she is already being tempted away.

stevew
    Free Member

My boy is 2 years old and is just starting to love his balance bike. He can do a mile-ish round trip to the park or shops.

Although at the weekend he struggled a bit on the way back from the park as he had filled his pockets with so many conkers I’m surprised he could move his legs!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Parents – How much riding do your kids actually do?’ is closed to new replies.