• This topic has 145 replies, 66 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 146 total)
  • Parental priority over booking holiday at work
  • aP
    Free Member

I’ve just had a bit of an argument at work over wanting to book the week after Easter off (so’s I can go to the classics, not that it matters where or why I’m wanting the holiday). As apparently its discriminating against those with children – oh, and “holidays are expensive then” – like I could give a …
    I’ve been gracious, and agreed to take the barest minimum that’ll allow me to go to what I want – ie around the weekends.
    But it does annoy me, anyone else have opinions (or gripes)?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Parents should not get priority over school holidays. Great if everyone can be flexible and work it out between them, but that doesn’t always happen. Your reason for specific dates is just as valid as any other.

TGA (parent of three schoolchildren)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Phone in sick for the week, it’s as much as the parents will ha e taken to look after their sprogs. Just have to remember that they are better than you.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MrNice
    Free Member

I do my best to allow parents to take time off in school holidays but that’s because I’m nice, not because it would be discrimination if I didn’t. They chose to have the kids, it’s not my fault holidays are more expensive then. A bit of give and take works wonders for keeping everyone happy.

weeksy

FFS this forum is insane… there’s some selfish sods in here.

NZCol

That’s stupid, just because you have kids doesn’t give you any right over someone who doesn’t.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

That’s well out of order IMO. If people choose to have kids the accompanying inconveniences are for them to put up with, not you.

Lifer
    Free Member

First come first served.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just a general observation there weeksy?

weeksy

If people choose to have a hobby the accompanying inconveniences are for them to put up with, not you

It’s not the parents fault he wants to go away that week.

fasthaggis

Milk and sugar ?

IHN

First come first served

This.

weeksy

mikewsmith – Member

Just a general observation there weeksy?

Not really mate, you may have seen in several posts I comment on how sanctimonious/opinionated STW is, it’s beyond ridiculous at times how bitter, selfish and twisted peoples grasp on reality actually is.

From the Fat bike love/hate, to the wood burners, then onto speeding, people with kids and people who do or don’t go on ‘cheeky’ trails. It seems on here if you have an axe to grind with the world, you’re far from alone, especially if it’s a bit middle class/daily mail, then all the better for it.

I sometimes sit here and think “what a bunch of arrogant idiots…” but then, some on here (as seen earlier today by me) are really helpful, nice and lovely people.

Bemuses me how people make it through days at a time without bbeing battered senseless… I can only assume they’re not as arrogant in real life.

grum
    Free Member

I do my best to allow parents to take time off in school holidays but that’s because I’m nice, not because it would be discrimination if I didn’t. They chose to have the kids, it’s not my fault holidays are more expensive then. A bit of give and take works wonders for keeping everyone happy.

This.

Stop trolling weeksy. 🙂

sandwicheater

Did you get the holiday?

johndoh
    Free Member

First come first served.

This

(parent myself)

nickc

With whom did you have the argument? Has someone actually booked the same week off?

I normally allow parents (with the agreement of the other workers) to have first dibbs at the holiday calender, but once it’s gone, it’s gone.

Northwind

MrNice – Member

What I was going to say, only I was going to use way more words.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

If people choose to have a hobby the accompanying inconveniences are for them to put up with, not you
    It’s not the parents fault he wants to go away that week.

What?
    Is he asking them to not book their holidays then in case he wants to?
    I think you’re trying a bit too hard here. First come first served, what people want to do with the time is entirely irrelevant.

EDIT: What MrNice says basically.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

there are many choices..

I comment on how sanctimonious/opinionated STW is, it’s beyond ridiculous at times how bitter, selfish and twisted peoples grasp on reality actually is.

you go get em….
    I do tend to find that there are a significant number of parents that I have worked with over the years that at any point of weakness or personal need will have no hesitation in reminding you that they once managed to have sex and produce something, therefore your selfish actions (taking the last biscuit/not understanding that they have to leave work early and you need to cover for them/not understanding that they need tomorrow off as something on the scale of WMD’s lost in Birmingham or child has a runny nose) are totally unacceptable and on a par with Hitler and Hussain getting together for a bit of a night on the tiles with bin laden.

weeksy

As parents it’s not really a ‘choice’ apart from the fact of course you’ve chosen to have children. But you’re then tied into 1 of you taking inset days off, or days when your child is sick and of course school holidays… believe me, I’d LOVE to take time off at more appropriate times, cheaper times too etc… but it’s not actually possible…we can’t as parents ‘move’ holidays about in the same way non-parents can.

tomd
    Free Member

It does sound a bit odd – I suppose normally most folk without kids avoid the school holidays like the plague so it just sorts itself out. However, it’s a bit of a dangerous game for your management to start deciding who’s holiday is more worthy.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

we can’t as parents ‘move’ holidays about in the same way non-parents can.

As a non parent I’m unable to move the races I want to do, the OP can’t move the spring classics, what if there is something a non parent needs to do in school holidays is that not allowed?
    It’s all give and take and sometimes people can over play the “I’M A MELON FARMING PARENT” card a bit.

grum
    Free Member

apart from the fact of course you’ve chosen to have children.

Bingo!

Other people will generally try and be accommodating, but that should be appreciated rather than expected.

scotroutes

As a wise man* once said, “we’re here to make babies and look after the place”.

As someone has already said, as a non-parent I was happy to give priority to the parents, partly because holidays are cheaper and places quieter outside those times. However, if there was a reason it had to be then, then hard lines.

*ok. It was Billy Connelly

weeksy

what if there is something a non parent needs to do in school holidays is that not allowed?

Of course, and when compromises are possible then of course people can and will do that. But it’s a small world and people need to TRY and understand eachothers needs…. and sometimes accept that things just are not viable on occasions.

wrecker
    Free Member

First come first served.

Yep.
    When I was childless, I always volunteered to cover the christmas call out period though. That’s the kids time. I wonder if anyone will be as thoughtful now I have a littleun?

john_drummer
    Free Member

As parents it’s not really a ‘choice’ apart from the fact of course you’ve chosen to have children. But you’re then tied into 1 of you taking inset days off, or days when your child is sick and of course school holidays… believe me, I’d LOVE to take time off at more appropriate times, cheaper times too etc… but it’s not actually possible…we can’t as parents ‘move’ holidays about in the same way non-parents can.

(not) sorry but you know the rules when you join Parent Club. One of those rules is that children of school age are only supposed to go on holidays when the schools are actually closed.

One of the rules of supply & demand is that when there’s more demand & the supply (of hotel rooms) is fixed, the price will go up.

If you don’t like the combination of these two rules, well you can always keep your toffees wrapped. or tie a knot in it, or something.

work holiday plans should always be “first come first served”, nothing else is fair.

weeksy

I always volunteered to cover the christmas call out period though. That’s the kids time. I wonder if anyone will be as thoughtful now I have a littleun?

Funny enough, I have a child who’s 6 and due to lack of family nearby won’t be out drinking over Xmas. So have taken on call for both Xmas and New Years so people who can go out and get drunk actually now have the time off.

weeksy

You’re aware guys, if your parents had not made the sacrifice to have you, instead choosing to keep it wrapped up, you wouldn’t even bloody be here to post this stuff ? The fact your parents made sacrifices, financially, emotionally and physically is the only reason you even exist today !

manton69

Is the equation:

Parents get priority over 14 weeks a year
    Non-parents get priority over the rest of the year

If this is the case the OP’s gripe is that the three/four spring classics clash. This will not always be the case with Easter moving around so is it just this year’s classics being an issue?

How many parent’s in your company take those weeks off?

There are a lot of variables here so your company may be saying the right thing in the wrong way, but it is a bit harsh considering the first bit of the equation above.

john_drummer
    Free Member

sacrifice? sacrifice? doing what comes naturally?

scaredypants

IHN – Member
    First come first served
    This.

why should it be a race to book ? When does the race open, and how far ahead can people book ?

No priority for parents IMO (speaking as one), but those who just block out the calendar more than a year ahead are being just as selfish

Maybe you could agree that all employees get a deadline by which requests for a big “holiday” have to be in, and then review them as a whole including criteria like how often you ask for leave during peak times. If somebody expects to book every easter, christmas and summer holiday then they’re a self-centred arse, parent or not

konabunny
    Free Member

You’re aware guys, if your parents had not made the sacrifice to have you, instead choosing to keep it wrapped up, you wouldn’t even bloody be here to post this stuff ? The fact your parents made sacrifices, financially, emotionally and physically is the only reason you even exist today !

Right, but part of working in a diverse workplace is navigating these questions…without anyone throwing the toys out the pram. You can’t go treating people without kids worse than with.

wood burners

Forum font strikes again lol

wrecker
    Free Member

Funny enough, I have a child who’s 6 and due to lack of family nearby won’t be out drinking over Xmas.

I didn’t figure on them going out boozing!!!! I just didn’t want little Tommys Daddy having to run out the door *violins* over the break.
    I, on the other hand would only have been pissing it right up.

Now I’m a parent, and I don’t see it as a sacrifice. It’s a pleasure.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

No priority for parents IMO (speaking as one), but those who just block out the calendar more than a year ahead are being just as selfish

Maybe you could agree that all employees get a deadline by which requests for a big “holiday” have to be in, and then review them as a whole including criteria like how often you ask for leave during peak times. If somebody expects to book every easter, christmas and summer holiday then they’re a self-centred arse, parent or not

Agreed- for me it’s about accommodating people where you can and basically not being a d!ck, and I’d expect everyone I work with to do the same. But the impression given by in the OP is that the management think that having kids is some sort of trump card.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

FCFS policy in everywhere i’ve worked.

Generally it’s staff with the kids kicking off they can’t have the holiday when THEY want it. Yes, the ‘its unfair you haven’t got kids’ card has been rolled out on a regular basis too.

stumpy01

I try and compromise where necessary when it comes to people with kids.
    But some parents really do like to ram it down your throat that they are parents and seem to expect some kind of extra special treatment as a result.

martinhutch

As someone with two kids of school age, I say to the OP:

“Enjoy the classics, mate!”

the-muffin-man

Childless people… if us parents didn’t have kids there’d be no-one to fund your pensions, care packages and wipe your back-sides when you are pensioners!! 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 146 total)

The topic ‘Parental priority over booking holiday at work’ is closed to new replies.