Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Parent Education Class -what a waste of time!
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

As soon to be parents (8weeks left!) we were instructed to waste a beautiful sunny afternoon in the community hospital attending a Parent Education Class after which we can’t quite work out what we’ve actually learnt/gained. Has anyone else felt this way and if so what other stuff should we avoid or attend?! Thanks.

scaredypants

the point of NCT etc is to give new parents (girls esp) a support network of other new parents

bwaarp
    Free Member

They’re mostly for people who’s IQ’s preclude them from being able to work out for themselves how to look after a child.

The state doesn’t trust you to parent because a good portion of the population have an IQ below 80.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

To quote someone else from another thread bwaarp, “classy as ever.” I hold out hope for you that you’ll grow up one day. You’re not exactly justifying that hope this week.

@scaredy, that doesn’t sound like an NCT class that the OP attended.

anagallis_arvensis

I hold out hope for you that you’ll grow up one day.

I dont 😆

JEngledow
    Free Member

It was a non-NCT class, and my wife is going to pregnant-yoga (I can’t remember what it’s actually called) and aqua-natal to meet other pregnant ladies in the area, but today was just so dull and made worse by the beautiful weather outside!

RichPenny
    Free Member

The scene of one of my finest moments. We were invited back with our newborn for everyone to coo over. My wife spent 20 minutes emphasising how incredibly painful the birth was, despite the steely glares. I then felt compelled to interject at the end of the following sentence:

“After the birth your breasts will still be very swollen which is …. “

“FANTASTIC,” quite obviously.

Apparently not 🙁 For future reference, the answer is “sore” and given in muted, sympathetic voice rather than shouted. Midwives, right bunch of killjoys…

tizzzzle
    Free Member

Parent Education Classes are yet another example of the relentless march of the (admittedly well disguised) nanny state trying to regulate and control every aspect of our lives – we can’t even trust humans to do the most natural thing in the world to our species, ie. bring up our young. We live in a risk adverse world where we are expected to follow a set way of doing everything, questioning the pescribed orthodoxy renders you subversive and in the eyes of government downright wrong. Most parents attend because they view not attending as neglectful, whereas in reality those that make a concious decision not to are actually those that have the balls and insight to think for themselves. I didn’t attend any classes nor did my wife and our little one is doing fine. Now Gove wants to take away her school holidays too – families can’t be trusted don’t you know, hence why the nation’s youth need to be kept away from them as much as possible. In schools these days (as decreed by Gove’s Ofsted lacky Michael Wilshaw)students are expected to be taught to be ‘independent learners’ – but how can we expect the future of our country to be able to think for themselves and make informed decisions if we on the other hand are bringing them up in an incrrasingly cosseted and risk-free world?

Just saying

Oh and the NCT do run some particularly good second hand sales. Nice cakes too.

yossarian
    Free Member

Good work RichPenny!

I think the classes are good for some people as it builds confidence and gives some basic info. Some people really don’t read much and maybe don’t have friends or family to speak to.

You’ve got a lot to learn bwaarp.

MoreCashThanDash

I remember one of the mums-to-be fainting at a video of a birth – always wondered how she got on when push came to shove…..

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think the classes are good for some people as it builds confidence and gives some basic info. Some people really don’t read much and maybe don’t have friends or family to speak to.

This, really.

Nowadays, new parents don’t always have their folks around to pass on the knowledge which is how it’s been done for generations. I’ve met plenty of folk who thought they didn’t need any pre-natal classes who haven’t a clue what’s going on. Conversely, I’ve met plenty who have gone to classes and still don’t either. There’s no harm in trying to prepare yourself. It’s a stressful enough experience as it is without going into it blindfolded.

bwaarp
    Free Member

tizzzzle

It’s not as complicated as that, it’s mostly down to things like seeing young mothers everyday stuffing cheesy wotsits down the mouths of their one year olds.

Also DeadlyDarcy’s point about parenting skills not being passed on is spot on.

TBH child care should be taught along with sex education at secondary school level, if it isn’t already.

tizzzzle
    Free Member

It’s not as complicated as that

In your opinion.

I agree that cheese watsits are a problem, but you can’t seriously be advocating child care classes in schools can you? Taught by whom and to who. We need to properly educate our young first and then perhaps they will stand a chance of being able to bring up kids. Not crowding our curriculum with ‘child care’, ‘key skills, pshe, citizenship, hairdressing, seal, construction and other pointless subjects that appeal to the less able and no one else. Certain skills are best learnt ‘on the job’ and not in a classroom with teachers whose expertise lies elsewhere.

slackalice
    Free Member

….construction and other pointless subjects

This will be good. Ive just found my evenings entertainment. 😉

yossarian
    Free Member

TBH child care should be taught along with sex education at secondary school level, if it isn’t already.

😆

bwaarp
    Free Member

Yes, I’m seriously advocating child care lessons in school….we’re not about to stop young teenagers from having children are we….proper diet….proper childcare etc needs to be taught at a time when they are maleable enough to have it entier their heads.

Not crowding our curriculum with ‘child care’, ‘key skills, pshe, citizenship, hairdressing, seal, construction and other pointless subjects that appeal to the less able and no one else. Certain skills are best learnt ‘on the job’ and not in a classroom with teachers whose expertise lies elsewhere.

No, we used to have Home Economics lessons. If anything the curriculum doesn’t include enough basic life skills – your opposition to this sounds like the type you get from right wing christians.

tizzzzle
    Free Member

I forgot how great home ec. lessons were. I made a lemon drizzle cake once

footflaps

I learnt to sew, which is an invaluable skill, been fixing my own clothes ever since….

maccruiskeen

Yes, I’m seriously advocating child care lessons in school.

and perhaps after the 15 – 25 year interval between school and actually having children people can maybe have a refresher 🙂

br
    Free Member

Nowadays, new parents don’t always have their folks around to pass on the knowledge which is how it’s been done for generations.

Yes, but then you were often having kids only 20 yrs after your Mum had had her last. Now it could be 40 yrs. 🙂

For example; my Mum was amazed when my first was born (he’s 19 now) that you could make up milk in a batch, and just microwave on need. As in her day it was a rush to boil the kettle, make the milk, get the teat on the bottle and then cool the milk. All the time with a crying/screaming baby waiting.

althepal

Not allowed to make formula milk in batches now- it’s a pita!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Parent Education Class -what a waste of time!’ is closed to new replies.