Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • parcel couriers for mtb frame
  • dukeduvet

Hi,

I have just bought a frame on ebay at the other end of the country. Seller will box it for me but I need to arrange courier.

Send it now whom I usually use don’t do Saturday collections (which works for the seller).

So any recommendations? I thought this would be a doddle to sort but it is now getting complicated. Hermes don’t collect from where he is based (Cornwall) and quotes are a bit pricey.

It seemed such a good idea at the time!

geoffj

If its just a frame, use Parcelforce and ask him to drop it off at the PO.

dukeduvet

Just checked and Hermes do collect from the area.

Problem is max dimension is 120cm so a large hardtail frame may exceed that

kayak23

I’ve just sent a frame off this morning with MyHermes and it was in a big bike frame box and came in about 188cm combined units for volume.

The max length was about 1130.

geoffj

Unlikely IME

jimw
    Free Member

Interlink? Not the cheapest but reliable in my experience when I had to get a parcel picked up from an airport ( yes, you guessed it I left a bag and didn’t realise till I got home)

Bigmantrials

I recently used Hermes to courier a 21inch Carbon MTB frame, when it arrived with the buyer it had a large hole in the box and the box was generally was abit battered, fortunately the stupid amounts of bubble wrap I used on the frame kept it safe. I am going off Hermes massively now!

chrismac

I just boxed the frame, orange five, and took it to the post office. They were quite happy and charged me £12 to post it

chrisrhayes

fwiw, I posted an Orange 5 frame using Parcelforce in Bristol. It was collected successfully, the CC video showed the box going up the ramp at the depot, and then it was never seen again…

velomanic
    Free Member

I used Parcel Force a couple of times for posting a hardtail frame and then a pair of 29er wheels from the Isle of Man to the UK. Good price, good service and I’d use them again.

jimw
    Free Member

I am going off Hermes massively now

Hermes is so dependent on the quality ( or lack thereof) of their local staff at each end of the chain. I would not use them even if paid to do so if I wanted a parecl to arrive promptly and in one piece. Others have said they have no problem with them, so I guess I am unlucky living in an area with very poor service from them

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

The wife and I have both used the links below to send stuff without issue.

iPostParcels
    Parcels2go

Parcels2go is a reseller so you enter your parcel dimensions etc. and get a list of all the couriers that they offer with prices and delivery schedules. UPS,Parcelfoce,myHermes and several others are on there. Just be sure to read the T&C’s as they specifically exclude insurance on a bunch of items.

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

FWIW it’s hard to blame the delivery guys at myHermes as they are paid literally pennies per parcel delivered or collected and therefore in order to make a living wage they have to deliver an insane number of parcels per day, hence the guy that turns up to deliver the wife’s latest purchases arrives at the door in a little Daewoo that is utterly stuffed with parcels floor to roof in the boot, back seats down, passenger seats. He also pleaded with the Mrs to package items seperately for return as otherwise he only gets 50p for the pickup. I can’t even envision how he makes enough money to cover his fuel/running costs..

mamadirt
    Free Member

Paisley Freight (via eBay) are generally pretty good at collections. I’ve used them several times to collect complete bikes which have arrived safely despite extremely dodgy packing (or lack of 😆 ). They used to use City Link but not sure if they’re still operating.

Be aware of insurance options if taking stuff to the Post Office to post. They may not offer extra insurance over the counter, assuming that the standard £50 (or whatever it is now) will cover you – definitely worth asking at the time for peace of mind although it will put the price up.

jimw
    Free Member

I have no doubt the Hermes couriers are hard pressed, but it is for this reason I won’t deal with the company and would rather work with companies who have invested in proper systems and vehicles appropriate for the job.

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

jimw – Member

I have no doubt the Hermes couriers are hard pressed, but it is for this reason I won’t deal with the company and would rather work with companies who have invested in proper systems and vehicles appropriate for the job.

Completely agree, the only times we see the chap are for orders (mostly the Mrs) that use them as the only delivery/return option.

dukeduvet

Thanks everyone, the tips on frame sizes are helpful. Ill measure up one of my frames at home and just check with the seller on dimensions.

I think Ill offer him some beer money to drop off and go with senditnow who I have used before.

It really ids hit or miss these days with posting stuff and I am reluctant to use companies that effectively create sweatshops for staff with crazy expectations.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘parcel couriers for mtb frame’ is closed to new replies.