Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Paranoia question – bikes safe on roof during French ferry crossings?
  • hora
    Free Member

I know they lock the doors/access but are they safe? This post is filled with paranoia 😀

northshoreniall

It’s not like they can sneak off the boat is it? I guess if you noticed it missing when returned to car they can halt disembark until search for it?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Never had a drama.
    If you’re that worried just lock them to the roof bars..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scaredypants

why not put ’em inside if you’re worried, then back on top when you get back to the car

binners

Just stay at home

sparksmcguff

If it reassures you I’ll be taking a families worth of bikes on the ferry to France. I’m not too worried. There never been a problem in the past!

allthepies
    Free Member

Just watch out for the height barriers, like what they have at Leith Hill.

😉

Harry_the_Spider

I’ve seen your bike. It is safe.

warns74
    Free Member

I stick a D Lock and a long cable in the boot to lock the bikes to each other and to the roof bars for a bit of peace of mind when we’re travelling and the bikes are unattended. I do this in motorway services too! (Also paranoid!)

BillOddie

They’ll be fine…

garage-dweller

I’ve seen your bike. It is safe.

Harsh but amusing. 😆

jam-bo

Hide in the boot and jump out if anyone approaches the car.

scaredypants

Harry_the_Spider – Member
    I’ve seen your bike. It is safe

A week is a long time in horasbikeland

zippykona

Bikes will be fine but there’s no petrol in France so you ain’t going nowhere buster.

garage-dweller

t there’s no petrol in France so you ain’t going nowhere buster.

That better explains one half of a conversation I overheard today in the office. Strikes I guess?

hora
    Free Member

Bugger. Better leave the RS6 and take the scruffy ‘daily driver’ then 8)

MoreCashThanDash

I stick a D Lock and a long cable in the boot to lock the bikes to each other and to the roof bars for a bit of peace of mind when we’re travelling and the bikes are unattended. I do this in motorway services too!

This – whether on the roof in the past or now on the towbar rack.

hora
    Free Member

Joking aside. Do you do this elsewhere; services, outside a pub etc? I could lever off your footpackx4 with a flat screwdriver sharpish. It’d ruin and gouge your paint but I wouldn’t be of the disposition to care. Take the lot.

Or another viewpoint, looking at the usual Street analogy- would you lock your nice bike with a d-lock anywhere and go off for a coffee/toilet break? I wouldn’t leave my bike anywhere, locked or not.

Services= take turns going to the loo. DLock etc aren’t enough.

MoreCashThanDash

Anyone prepared to lever off the roof bars, 4 bike racks, 4 bikes all locked and chained together with a total weight of about 80kg is welcome to them, frankly.

You’ll never stop pros who go equipped, it’s the opportunists I’m trying to stop.

wallop

I would never leave bikes unattended on a roof rack – anywhere – except a ferry.

TiRed

Go to Robert Dyas. Purchase two double looped cables and a padlock. Lassoo tie both cables to the outer bike racks and through the frame. Lock inner loops together with padlock. Should cost you £20 and deter the casual thief.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

If they get nicked recoup the cost by stuffing a dozen afghans into a bso on the way back

tillydog
    Free Member

An ex boss of mine drove onto a cross-channel ferry with his family’s bikes on the roof. He parked as directed, locked the car and walked away. The car deck he was parked on was then winched up, crushing his bikes between the roof of the car and the ferry. The ferry came off best. His bikes and car were wrecked. He actually saw it happening, but was too far away to be able to attract anyone’s attention or do anything about it.

So, “No”, they’re not safe 🙂

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Have left bikes on ferries numerous times with no stress until I read your post
    Functional lock and chain to deter the casual scrote, and the car deck is off limits at sea

Services in France have me much more paranoid
    Same lock and chain but with the car always in sight

Bonne vacances, or something

aP
    Free Member

TBH, you drive out to go riding with your bike on the roof, anyone that’s interested in your bike has already followed you home and knows how to find them. I really wouldn’t worry about them being on your car, on a ferry.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Do you need to let your ferry Co know you will have bikes on a roof rack? Some time ago with Condor it got us parked right at the front for a quick getaway, at no extra.

garage-dweller

Slowoldgit

Yes you usually need to book extra height on ferries and Chunnel. Sometimes it doesn’t cost more (Eurotunnel from memory is no extra).

And yes usually right at front (or back if you are unlucky).

Bez

No-one will nick them, but at least once I’ve seen them get caught on the beams above. (This might just be a 4×4 thing.)

atlaz
    Free Member

I tend to lock my bike carrier when I’m stopping at services. As for cross channel, if you’re concerned, use the tunnel

warns74
    Free Member

Locks and cables are not infallible buy they are deterrent.

If you’re that worried about it maybe cancel your ferry and go on the tunnel instead. That way you are in your car at the whole time with the bikes on the roof! 😛

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The only place I wouldn’t worry is on the ferry, your back at your car before they even open the doors.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Paranoia question – bikes safe on roof during French ferry crossings?’ is closed to new replies.