Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Paramo smock
  • backinireland
    Free Member

Anyone use them?
    How warm are they?
    What difference between velez and velez light?

Suggsey
    Free Member

Had them used them and sold them on eBay as I no longer needed the short jacket as I have a longer paramo coat for walking 😆
    The standard velez is warm enough with just a base layer in winter when walking/trekking hard. Very waterproof,but short.
    Adventure light the outer fabric is very lightweight and cannot be tumble dried when washed has to drip dry. Good for spring summer autumn downpours.
    Tried both biking just way too hot for me.
    If it’s for walking go for the longer coats so if you don’t have the matching cascada trousers which are equally superb next to the skin or you will end up with soaking wet underwear!

Suggsey
    Free Member

Any jacket that Mountain Rescue teams use have got to be good in my opinion, that’s one of the things that made me try them plus work paid for the first one.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    matt_outandabout

Paramo fabric is bloomin brilliant stuff, just keep proofing, and it keeps working.
    Sadly let down by the cut of them, and some silly designs of pocket detailing and over complexity and awful colours.
    I bought them for all our instructors in outdoor centre. Great for standing around in, or cold wet hill days. I would have one for winters, smock.
    Very warm, and as said a bit too warm for many days – but then that is what a proofed pertex jacket is for.

ivorlott
    Free Member

If you’re looking at the Sportspursuit deals, then they’re a blummin great deal.

If it’s cycling specific, they have a new Ciclo jacket, not seen one, but on paper it looks too heavy.

I have an original Velez smock, as Suggsey says, tends to be used for cold Autumn/Winter days only and never on the bike. Quito Jacket works pretty well on the bike though, but again really only in cold weather.

kudos100
    Free Member

Tough as old boots and works pretty well in a variety of conditions. The cut is based around the michelin man though.

I have the Fuera Smock which looks lighter than some of the others. No problems on the bike.

chiefgrooveguru

Some of the new designs are a much less baggy cut – appropriately the ‘Enduro’ jacket (I kid you not!) is a slim tapered fit like decent mountaineering/climbing jackets. The original Velez was the first Paramo jacket to not be quite so middle-aged rambler shaped but it’s still quite a boxy cut – however mine still works as well and looks remarkably new considering it’s a decade old, so I can’t think of a good reason to replace it. Mrs Guru just got a Paramo Andina jacket and that’s a properly waisted slim cut with some nice detail improvements (the new mesh pump liner seems very cunning…)

thegreatape
    Free Member

I have an Aspira jacket, which used to be their top one, and Cascada trousers, which come in a fat AND short version. They look utterly shite, but for 4-5 months of the year they get worn every day and have never let me down, so I’m sticking with them. New stuff looks nice.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I use my Fuera in winter on the bike as a wind proof and it’s ideal for biking.

mattbee

Velez smock and Cascada trousers bought from someone on the classifieds here have proved to be an absolute godsend working outside this winter.
    Just a long base layer and fleece gilet under the smock and trousers worn next to skin have been enough hanging off the side of a building in 20odd mph winds and 2-4 deg temps.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

I’ve ended up with a Paramo Adventure Light Smock and I’m really impressed with it.

Really breathable compared to Goretex etc and also wind proof. Managed to get £60 off the rrp with the go outdoors price match (don’t think I would wear it on the bike if I had paid full price). Really good fit, arms plenty long enough, nice tailored fit. Even slightly longer in the back which helps to cover ones rear from spray. Also has full length zips down either side for cooling. Just hose it down after a muddy rude and let it drip dry. Does need a reproof every few months dependant on use but with the Nikwax stuff comes out like new.

Even on proper winters days I only wear a base layer top and bib shorts underneath. Only gripe is the lack of lined collar as it can stick to your neck but I usually wear a buff at the same time so it’s not usually an issue.

It’s recently survived a couple of decent offs with little more than a small hole in one elbow. Would defo recommend.

GregMay
    Free Member

If you’re a slim fit, I’d avoid them. I’ve never got on with them, and they look atrocious.

Marko

I had a Velez smock.
    Sold it. Utter junk.
    Not a problem in the dry, but it was like a sponge in the wet. It never leaked though just seemed to absorb water and weigh a ton or so. Proofed it, treated it and washed it – no difference still a sponge.

Hth
    Marko

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

What matt said –

Sadly let down by the cut of them, and some silly designs of pocket detailing and over complexity and awful colours.

Paramo Adventure smock – nice cycling cut but far too warm for cycling. Pockets too high up (but well placed if you’re wearing a Paramo Mountain Vent pull on – £10 from charity shop, ya beauty). Bizarre zip arrangement that let you completely unzip the sides then struggle to get the sides back together. Very, very warms and with not much bulk. Material feels fragile but has taken some abuse and still looks relatively new. Hood tucks away nicely when not in use and when needed has good face coverage.
    I like it enough to deal with the strangeness of the design.

EDIT – and this

If you’re a slim fit, I’d avoid them

I’m not and the fit is good. I have to avoid Montaine for that reason though

loddrik
    Free Member

Sadly let down by the cut of them

That’s why I love them, perfect fit for me. Got 5 Paramo’s, wouldn’t waste my time with Goretex or Event anymore. Cant wear them at the height of summer but perfect for 9 months of the year.

mav12
    Free Member

velex smock here very warm as others have said but cracking winter jacket very comfy to wear never had a problem with water proofing just wash it withe the nickwax stuff,there are actually 3 versions ofthe velez the origional had a detachable hood these were the heaviest then the velez adventure which iirc is a bit lighter and then the adventure light, cascada pants are great to really comfy and warm, theres always plenty on ebay to be had i paid £90 for mine and it was bnwt

scotroutes

I have an Adventure Light. After years of GoreTex I thought I’d see what all the fuss was about. I just don’t get it. I’d much rather wear my old Buffalo. I actually think it’s less breathable or less waterproof than GoreTex Active Shell or Event as I have a drier experience in both of those.

The fit is awful. The hood, when folded, is too bulky and it’s an annoying multi-stud affair to refold it. The sleeves are made with wide cuffs so they can be rolled up which results in a very baggy fit.

tomhughes46

Love my Fuera smock for winter riding. It’s a nice breathable windshell and holds up quite well in mild rain.

Love my Aspira for climbing in winter.

Not sure I would use anything heavier than the Fuera unless it was sub zero conditions. I have a conventional hardshell for ‘p155ing down’ riding days.

tonyd

Velez smock here, too warm for on the bike and the cut is too short. Even hiking in anything but cold cold and it’s too warm for me. The side zips don’t make much sense to me either. Other than that it’s great.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Bought a Quito jacket for riding when they first came out – 5 years ago? – quickly became apparent that it was too warm for all but the coldest riding days (I tend to run warm anyway) so it’s become my go to jacket for the cold and wet days walking and dog walking, camping, and just general bodding about. It’s absolutely fantastic, no crisp packet crunching and crinkling and not a single drop of water has ever got through. It’s warmth is a mixed blessing, too hot for me in anything 15C+ even while wearing a T-Shirt and with pit zips open but much appreciated when cold and layered up. Last well too, I’ve been unable to get anything more than 3 or 4 years out of a traditional shell jacket (albeit mid market stuff, nothing high end) before something goes wrong, the Paramo looks virtually as good as new.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Paramo smock’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts