Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Paramo clothing?
  • huggis
    Free Member

Anyone use for cycling? Got soaked to skin 3 days on the trot touring recently wearing a gore “waterproof” so looking at alternatives.

scotroutes

I tried Paramo years ago and found it too warm and sweaty. I bought a Velez Adventure Light at the start of this winter as it was supposedly less so. I used it for a lot of winter hillwalking and it was pretty much spot on for that. I can’t believe I’d ever want to cycle in it though – and certainly not at this time of year.

Assuming your Goretex layer isn’t leaking (try it under a tap) then it’s likely just condensation. Remember that the Gore membrane won’t allow vapour to pass through if the outside fabric has wetted out. Try cleaning and re-roofing it to see if you can get water to bead up on the outer layer.

You might also want to look at eVent and the new Goretex Active Shell fabrics as these are markedly more breathable than earlier versions of Goretex.

matt_outandabout

Do a search on here – fabulous stuff in my experience, I kitted 12 instructors out in the stuff for the last 4 years.
    BUT, the cut is poor, colours crap and by eck it is warm, and you have to keep proofing it regularly. But for being out day in, day out in minging Highland wetness, it is unbeatable.
    AND, any waterproof will leak/not keep up with breath-ability compared to how much you sweat.
    Having said all that, I just bought a Haglofs proshell jacket…

ampthill

I love mine. But it now leeks and so far nothing I have tried has made it as water proof as it was when I bought it

I still wear it lots but I own a membrane water proof as well

mine may have been damaged by mackerel fishing

househusband

Aye; too hot for cycling, nor is it cut for it. Also not the toughest of fabrics for mountain biking.

Sandwich

It’s good stuff in foul cold conditions on the bike. A short sleeve base layer is all I wear under my Viento jacket. The newer Taiga fleece may work ok as they are lighter but not windproof, a Fuera top makes them wind proof when you stop.

huggis
    Free Member

Hmm seems my doubts about being to hot are valid…

Will look for light event shell me thinks

huggis
    Free Member

Oh and Ampthill…didn’t know Mackrel fishing could be so dangerous!

spacemonkey

I’ve an Aspira that works great in the wet. It’s hooded too (with a peak) and cut just about long enough for riding. Does have a baggy fit though, so it’s not the sleekest of designs, but ultimately it’s the functionality that wins through.

I looked at loads of other options and this seemed the best at fighting off the rain, but it does get warm.

Have a look on eBay – you might get one half price, say £150.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Hi me and the missus both have Adventure light smocks, love it, never been soaked in it and find it packs down well too. No probs so far in ‘re proofing. Go to jacket for biking or walking. I do carry an extra mid layer though as whilst windproof I have found it not that warm when you stop.

huggis
    Free Member

Thanks all…..any comments in how heavy a paramo gets when wet?

ampthill

I’ve rarely found the heat a problem. assuming that if its a warm day I’d only ware it if it was actually raining

Yes it gets heavier when it rains. more than old style three layer goretex but its nothing major

Mine is a velez adventure smock. Its my default jacket bike, walking or climbing if I need more than one layer. Really comfy and breathable

easygirl

How old is the gore jacket?
    Never had problems with gore stuff leaking
    Have you washed it in soap flakes
    Reproofednwith nik wax wash in
    Dried in tumble drier
    Water will bead off it then, and breath ability will be restored

scotroutes

huggis – whereabouts are you?

huggis
    Free Member

Scotland (Aberdeen).

As gore had only been used a handful of times deemed reproofing not necessary.

scotroutes

Ah. If you’d been closer you could have had a good look at/borrowed mine.

I think there’s a very good chance you are simply overwhelming the membranes ability to transfer water vapour. This is more keenly felt when cycling as you are less likely to be wearing a mid-layer that can act as a bit of a “reservoir”. The old 3-layer (base, fleece, waterproof) walking set-up used the fleece as this mid layer so you never felt the jacket as damp. With just a thin cycling top on under a waterproof layer it tends to feel wet (and cold) pretty quick.

Or maybe I’m just a sweaty bastard 🙂

huggis
    Free Member

Thanks for that scotroutes! Yes I too a sweaty B.

So sitting here; going out on hardtail for 20 miles xc tonight; would paramo adventure smock light be too warm?

It’s 12C and foggy!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2657832

scotroutes

FWIW, I don’t expect to wear mine again until October/November. I’d rather wear a warmer jersey (or non-waterproof jacket) and take a very light and waterproof jacket with me (like this)

huggis
    Free Member

Ok probably not best time of year to buy a paramo then…

Think I will stick with an eVent or similar Shell.

glupton1976
    Free Member

I have a paramo torres gilet. It is the dogs dangly bits for riding in. From wet winter rides to just colder summer days it does the job perfectly. Venting is not a problem 😉

loddrik
    Free Member

Love paramo, got quite a bit of their stuff now. Velez definitely too warm for spring/summer, just bought a Vista jacket which is less warm but I still wouldn’t recommend for the summer months, can’t beat them when the colder weather is here though. Even the most breathable goretexy stuff is still a barrier for sweat to get out.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Paramo clothing?’ is closed to new replies.