Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Paramo Bora smock for riding?
  • ElShalimo

They look like a decent multi-activity windproof.
    Does anyone use one on the bike?

zero-cool
    Free Member

Not sure on that exact model, but I’ve always found Paramo products to be a bit on the warm side when trekking and mountaineering.

Tom KP

FOG

My son had the Fuera windproof which was similar but a jacket which was ok. Was a bit flappy so if the Bora is similar cut I would size down. There are however many much cheaper decent wind proofs which would be just as effective and pack up smaller.

chiefgrooveguru

I have a Fuera smock. The fabric is absolutely bombproof but I find the cut too baggy in the torso and too narrow on the shoulders and short on the sleeves – that is a common problem for me but the Fuera is worse than most.

noltae
    Free Member

Perfect for winter days when it’s super grizzly weather – but probably a bit too hot otherwise.. Paramo Analogy fabrics are amazing in cold wet conditions..

MussEd
    Free Member

I got an email off them the other day about a new bike-specific jacket they had launched? Worth a look on their site?

Scapegoat

I use a fuera smock for riding as a windproof. It is a bit baggy around the torso, but then is designed to fit over the taiga fleece. Very comfy, and treated with DWR is water repellant for a good while. Wets out eventually in a downpour though. That Bora looks nice though, classic paramo appearance, and I like the idea of the hoodie as a riding layer with the fuera over the top if it hammers it down. Might well treat myself having seen that.

The new cycling jacket looks to be a redesign of the Quito. I have one of those for winter commuting… but it needs to be pretty cold to wear it, and you need a long sleeve baselayer to stop it feeling clammy if you’re working hard.

matt_outandabout

I have a Fuera smock. The fabric is absolutely bombproof but I find the cut too baggy in the torso and too narrow on the shoulders and short on the sleeves – that is a common problem for me but the Fuera is worse than most.

^this, and I am a huge Paramo fan.

The new ones are meant to be better cut, but I have not tried one on.

Paramo is ace for cold or wet days on the hill, paddling and standing around in. They are not great on warm/wet days, as they just retain too much heat.

But their stylist has no sense of cut or colour, or how to keep water out of pockets, so I currently don’t own any Paramo, despite having bought uniform for 50 instructors from them before.

prettygreenparrot

Used to wear a paramo jacket mountain biking a lot. These days I take a ground effect Flash Gordon. Easy to pack, light, dry enough.

As posters say, paramo jackets are warm in all but the most horrible weather. They’re the best waterproof I’ve ever used and the one I always take walking.

They have just released the ‘Ciclo’ which is likely to be less warm, and just as breathable and waterproof, as their other stuff. Perhaps that’s the jacket you’re looking for?

loddrik
    Free Member

Rode up to the top of Rivington in my Paramo Cuzco this very morning. It was very windy, very rainy and not too cold. Jacket was perfect. I can’t wear it from may to september as it is quite warm, but for the other 7 months of the year it’s the best bike jacket I’ve ever had.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

I’ve got a Paramo velez adventure light and it has been spot on. Only really wear a jacket in real rain on the bike but often forget to take it off after a decent downpour, can’t say I find it too hot. Really breathable, you can actually see the tiny air bubbles escaping through the material when it’s wet.

The one thing I don’t like about it is the non lined collar, it tends to stick to the back of your neck when wet. I wear a summer buff to stop this, just a shame Paramo couldn’t put liner in.

ElShalimo

Thanks

For clarity, I should have said Bora Windproof Smock.
    It’s basically a new windproof like the Fuera but with a new cut. It’s not a full weight waterproof. Layered with Bora fleece it should be a good winter walking combo.
    Im interested in how it works on a bike.

loddrik
    Free Member

Have two Fuera’s, a smock and a jacket, they are what I wear on the bike when the Cuzco is too warm. I’m a Paramo only kinda guy.

ElShalimo

Thanks

chiefgrooveguru

I wore my Fuera for winter riding for a while – it keeps the wind off but the venting isn’t great and it isn’t very rain resistant. It is very tree/crash resistant though! It isn’t warm like a Paramo waterproof. Nowadays I mostly use it when riding the 50cc scooter as some extra wind/weather protection in a bright shade of orange.

For MTBing a replaced it with a Mountain Equipment Orion softshell jacket which is excellent – sadly discontinued. I have two, a greeen one for getting muddy, a blue one for other outdoor affairs.

ElShalimo

I see that Paramo now have the Enduro Windproof jacket for mountain days out, which has a slim/athletic cut.
    Maybe they are listening to their slimmer customers?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Paramo Bora smock for riding?’ is closed to new replies.